Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison! (Rectifer Tube Rolling thread)
Dec 26, 2021 at 12:47 AM Post #2,101 of 2,674
Dec 26, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #2,102 of 2,674

Well, it isn't a U52. GEC owned the trademark on that name and it was applied only to valves manufactured by Marconi / Osram / GEC in Britain. And there appear to be no markings on the glass to indicate what this tube is. So the heater voltage and current are unknown. And the output current is unknown. As the vendor states, this valve was manufactured in Italy by Italian Marconi. Further, it appears that British Marconi and Italian Marconi shared the same name, but not much else. And except for certain tube collectors with very fat wallets, this tube certainly isn't worth $5,000. lol :)

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2021 at 1:15 AM Post #2,103 of 2,674
Well, it isn't a U52. GEC owned the trademark on that name and it was applied only to valves manufactured by Marconi / Osram / GEC in Britain. And there appear to be no markings on the glass to indicate what this tube is. So the heater voltage and current are unknown. And the output current is unknown. As the vendor states, this valve was manufactured in Italy by Italian Marconi. Further, it appears that British Marconi and Italian Marconi shared the same name, but not much else. And except for certain tube collectors with very fat wallets, this tube certainly isn't worth $5,000. lol :)
Hey….it’s wege_high_tubes…. “All hands on deck wallet !”

Dec 27, 2021 at 5:19 AM Post #2,104 of 2,674

Dec 27, 2021 at 5:21 AM Post #2,105 of 2,674
Managed to get to the bottom of the blown fuse behaviour. The rectifier was not to blame. A higher than anticipated mains power voltage (253V was seen) combined with the stock power tubes looks to be the culprit. The stock power tubes have been out of the picture for a week now and it’s all been smooth sailing. Wanted to let the forum know in case someone else experiences something similar.

Dec 28, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #2,106 of 2,674
20211229_001321.jpg

Just got a WE422A from a Japanese Auction site and it performs exceptionally good despite the fair measurement (46/46 against 40). It sounds even better and quieter than the WE274A in WA22, and it has the perfect match with Mullard ECC32 as input tube and WE421A as output tube, with unparalleled dynamics, smoothness, layering and details retrieval.

Dec 28, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #2,107 of 2,674
20211229_001321.jpg
Just got a WE422A from a Japanese Auction site and it performs exceptionally good despite the fair measurement (46/46 against 40). It sounds even better and quieter than the WE274A in WA22, and it has the perfect match with Mullard ECC32 as input tube and WE421A as output tube, with unparalleled dynamics, smoothness, layering and details retrieval.
I think that's a strong measurement? You are going down a very similar path I went with the WA22. Once you've maxed out the tubes, there is only one place left to go... :wink:

I obtained a tube tester recently, and I'm finding tubes that test at 60% - 70% Gm still work perfectly fine, and still last a very long time in a headphone amp. I actually prefer using tubes in that range as they are cheaper than tubes that test higher or NOS. The "collector side" of me also has a problem using NIB or NOS tubes. But that's my problem haha.

Dec 28, 2021 at 11:34 PM Post #2,110 of 2,674
I think that's a strong measurement? You are going down a very similar path I went with the WA22. Once you've maxed out the tubes, there is only one place left to go... :wink:

I obtained a tube tester recently, and I'm finding tubes that test at 60% - 70% Gm still work perfectly fine, and still last a very long time in a headphone amp. I actually prefer using tubes in that range as they are cheaper than tubes that test higher or NOS. The "collector side" of me also has a problem using NIB or NOS tubes. But that's my problem haha.
So true. I am thinking to get another 300B headphone amp but need to sort up the issue of desk space first.......

Dec 28, 2021 at 11:57 PM Post #2,111 of 2,674
So true. I am thinking to get another 300B headphone amp but need to sort up the issue of desk space first.......
I went to a (Glenn) 300B amp from the WA22. And also a couple of other custom amps from 1101 Audio.

Dec 29, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #2,112 of 2,674

So true. Tubes last a lot longer life than what most give them credit for.

Dec 29, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #2,113 of 2,674
So true. Tubes last a lot longer life than what most give them credit for.
And they are nicely burnt in, and you don't worry too much if they do die. Although I've had very, very few tubes die on me. Received a few dodgy ones though!

Jan 6, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #2,114 of 2,674
Any love for the Sophia 274B Aqua? I put one in my Lampizator Baltic 3 DAC and it is currently in first place ahead of some good NOS 4 pin and 8 pin NOS tubes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back