Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison! (Rectifer Tube Rolling thread)
Apr 10, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #1,966 of 2,674
I have more rectifiers than I need but these look good.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-NO...-/324486653639?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

I actually own a mid 1950's version of this tube in "coke bottle" form. But these tubes are NIB & NOS. And the price is right $30.00. You can't even buy a newly manufactured tube for this price. And in my humble opinion, Canadian made tubes from the golden era of tube making are as good or better than USA made tubes.

These should be good in the Woo Audio WA6 or in any amp that uses a 5U4G.
Thanks. I bought this one based on your recommendation!

Apr 10, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #1,967 of 2,674
Thanks. I bought this one based on your recommendation!

Let us know how it works out.

I think that's the real trick with collecting and buying tubes. Is being opened-minded and doing your homework and trying tubes that may be off labeled. There was so much rebranding that went on. And for $30.00 you can give it a shot. I mean it should be good. Even the newly made rectifiers from Asia or Russia are more expensive when you include shipping. So this tube is actually a deal for the price and quality.

Apr 16, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #1,971 of 2,674
The 5931 is identical to a 5U4WG. That is, it is electrically identical to a 5U4G, but it has been ruggedized for use in industrial and military environments.

And yes, if your amp can use a 5U4G it can also use a 5931.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #1,975 of 2,674
Seems like someone got there before me! It’s gone.
What do you want to improve? Ken is a big big fan of rectifier tubes. :)

But comparing to the other tubes your amps use, rectifier should be the last one to roll. You have to spend significant $ to achieve limit improvement. The price of the good recifier tubes skyrocket in the past year.

Apr 17, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #1,976 of 2,674
What do you want to improve? Ken is a big big fan of rectifier tubes. :)

But comparing to the other tubes your amps use, rectifier should be the last one to roll. You have to spend significant $ to achieve limit improvement. The price of the good recifier tubes skyrocket in the past year.
Good point. In this crazy hobby aren’t we all striving for improvement? But I see your point and thank you!

Apr 17, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #1,977 of 2,674
Good point. In this crazy hobby aren’t we all striving for improvement? But I see your point and thank you!
I highly recommend an old Russian svetlana 5u4g equivalent. 5u3c I believe. Look for shiny black plates and a factory OTK stamp. Fantastic bang for the buck. I find them as good or even better than most American made 5u4g ‘s .

May 16, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #1,978 of 2,674
Please delete, if this is not allowed or helpful:

I have posted several quality rectifiers in the classifieds last night.
There are a few other tubes as well.

I was trying to figure out sensible prices. I would welcome any pointers if you honestly feel that my pricing is off.

I'm not looking for trades as I need to raise funds. I am trying to ignore the reality that I may never be able to buy back some of these rare tubes.

Massive discount for bulk purchases. PM me.

Last edited:
May 16, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #1,979 of 2,674
Please delete, if this is not allowed or helpful:

I have posted several quality rectifiers in the classifieds last night.
There are a few other tubes as well.

I was trying to figure out sensible prices. I would welcome any pointers if you honestly feel that my pricing is off.

I'm not looking for trades as I need to raise funds. I am trying to ignore the reality that I may never be able to buy back some of these rare tubes.

Massive discount for bulk purchases. PM me.
Nice collection.

But, ... above dealer price. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back