Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison! (Rectifer Tube Rolling thread)
Mar 22, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #1,936 of 2,672
Soooo... This is an infectious hobby...

Found the frequently mentioned Sophia Princess 274B and a Chatham 5R4WGA potato-masher (?)... The 274B is currently doing great things to my music..

Nearing endgame-station, for now...

I want to congratulate you on nearing endgame. And I'm sure your wallet is very happy too! :)

And I'm finally approaching end game, I think, with this latest acquisition, a Telefunken RGN4004. Fortunately for your wallet, I seriously doubt this will work in your Woo. And I'm sure your wallet will be very happy. This is a 4-Volt rectifier drawing 4 Amps of heater current. It was manufactured in Berlin in 1937 and notice instead of mica spacers, it uses glass beads to keep the filaments aligned.

2021-03-22 19.05.48.jpg

And it puts on quite a show at night. With mesh plates, the hot cathodes are clearly visible.

2021-03-22 19.11.19.jpg

Anyway, it really doesn't belong in this thead, but I thought some here might enjoy the "eye candy". :)

Mar 22, 2021 at 7:31 PM Post #1,937 of 2,672
I want to congratulate you on nearing endgame. And I'm sure your wallet is very happy too! :)

And I'm finally approaching end game, I think, with this latest acquisition, a Telefunken RGN4004. Fortunately for your wallet, I seriously doubt this will work in your Woo. And I'm sure your wallet will be very happy. This is a 4-Volt rectifier drawing 4 Amps of heater current. It was manufactured in Berlin in 1937 and notice instead of mica spacers, it uses glass beads to keep the filaments aligned.

And it puts on quite a show at night. With mesh plates, the hot cathodes are clearly visible.

Anyway, it really doesn't belong in this thead, but I thought some here might enjoy the "eye candy". :)

It's beautiful. You know as far as rectifiers go.

What amp are you running this in?

And how does it sound?

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #1,938 of 2,672
It's beautiful. You know as far as rectifiers go.

What amp are you running this in?

And how does it sound?

I have a custom Glenn OTL. And of note, I can run 3-Volt, 4-Volt and 5-Volt rectifiers. And in terms of sound, it has what I call the "Telefunken house sound". If you roll Telefunken double triodes, you would expect highs that are almost biting in some systems, great bass, but somewhat lean in the mids. I am running it with a pair of Mullard 6080s and a Mullard ECC33 which compliment the TFK very nicely. :)

Mar 22, 2021 at 8:00 PM Post #1,939 of 2,672
That's a cool feature that I had no idea applied to the GOTL amps. Being able to run a variety of rectifiers with a variety of voltages is fantastic! I can only imagine the options that it opens up for owners. I've been lurking on the GOTL thread for the last few months. I'm not even remotely prepared to do down the path of ownership...yet.

Either way, thanks for sharing this super cool and rare rectifier. 😎

Mar 22, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #1,940 of 2,672
That's a cool feature that I had no idea applied to the GOTL amps. Being able to run a variety of rectifiers with a variety of voltages is fantastic! I can only imagine the options that it opens up for owners. I've been lurking on the GOTL thread for the last few months. I'm not even remotely prepared to do down the path of ownership...yet.

Either way, thanks for sharing this super cool and rare rectifier. 😎

Four-volt rectifiers were the standard in Europe, including Britain, until WWII. And for example, I don't have and don't know of any 5-volt rectifiers from such major European brands as Telefunken, Tesla, Valvo, British Mazda or Tungsram (either British and Hungarian). And in addition, there are 4-volt rectifiers from a number of small relatively unknown companies such as Loewe Radio, RFT, Ratron, Dolam, ZWLE and others. It's been an enjoyable ride. :)

Mar 22, 2021 at 8:57 PM Post #1,944 of 2,672
The U52 in most cases should be a drop in replacement for a 5U4G.

I'm actually running a Osram U52 currently in place of a 5AR4 in my ALO Studio Six. The transformer is spec'd to handle both the voltage and the current so I'm not worried. But it's always important to double check.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #1,945 of 2,672
I don't own a Lampizator, but if a 5U4G will work, the U52 will definitely work. Yes, a drop-in replacement.

Edit: And in fact, in most cases, a U52 is also a drop-in replacement for a 5U4GB

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #1,946 of 2,672
Speaking of U52, I recently picked these up on ebay for about $100, including a pair of Sylvania 5Z3! It appears that no one else knew what they were. :)
And the back story might be interesting to some here.

The construction screams British GEC / Marconi / Osram manufacture. However, instead of an octal base, these have a 4-pin UX base. Hence they are labeled 5Z3. But even so, the 5Z3 is electrically identical to the 5U4G, except for the base. And we all know that putting a different base on a tube doesn't change the sound. Also, adapters to allow the use of 5Z3 in a 5U4G socket are easy to find.

Also, note that they carry the "CVC" brand and date codes from 1983. But the upside-down cup getters indicate that these were originally manufactured in the late 1940's. And I wondered, who is "CVC"? Well super sleuth @attmci figured out that "CVC" is "Chelmer Valve Company, Chelmsford, Middlesex, Essex England". To my knowledge, they never manufactured tubes, but rather, specialized in procuring, and in some cases, refurbishing surplus vacuum tubes for resale. And in fact, this company still exists:

https://www.cvc-components.com/services/electron-tubes/

So it appears that CVC acquired these as surplus, cleaned them up, rebased them and sold them to an unknown client in 1983.

And I should add, they sound great! :)

2021-03-22 11.44.04.jpg

Mar 26, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #1,947 of 2,672
Speaking of U52, I recently picked these up on ebay for about $100, including a pair of Sylvania 5Z3! It appears that no one else knew what they were. :)
And the back story might be interesting to some here.

The construction screams British GEC / Marconi / Osram manufacture. However, instead of an octal base, these have a 4-pin UX base. Hence they are labeled 5Z3. But even so, the 5Z3 is electrically identical to the 5U4G, except for the base. And we all know that putting a different base on a tube doesn't change the sound. Also, adapters to allow the use of 5Z3 in a 5U4G socket are easy to find.

Also, note that they carry the "CVC" brand and date codes from 1983. But the upside-down cup getters indicate that these were originally manufactured in the late 1940's. And I wondered, who is "CVC"? Well super sleuth @attmci figured out that "CVC" is "Chelmer Valve Company, Chelmsford, Middlesex, Essex England". To my knowledge, they never manufactured tubes, but rather, specialized in procuring, and in some cases, refurbishing surplus vacuum tubes for resale. And in fact, this company still exists:

https://www.cvc-components.com/services/electron-tubes/

So it appears that CVC acquired these as surplus, cleaned them up, rebased them and sold them to an unknown client in 1983.

And I should add, they sound great! :)

2021-03-22 11.44.04.jpg
That is fantastic! Nicely done :)

Apr 4, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #1,950 of 2,672
Just picked up this one in Germany. Any opinions?064A1E7E-52FD-4CC7-9FBD-E4EDB94CDD61.png

If I remember correctly that's a good rectifier. I haven't rolled mine in for awhile but I think I remember it being on the thicker side. Very warm. But as I said it's been awhile. Should be good though.

Let me also plan on getting that into my amp at some point this week and I'll report back.

What do you think? Are you enjoying the tube? Because that's all that really matters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back