Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison! (Rectifer Tube Rolling thread)
Feb 1, 2021 at 1:22 AM Post #1,921 of 2,646
I need some advice folks. I’ve been running a 1940s RCA hanging filament 5U4G for a while, but my amp is starting to crackle a lot on one channel, especially at startup. I rolled in a Sophia Princess and it’s definitely the RCA. The problem is the Sophia sounds grainy and, well, horrible in comparison. Is there a current production tube that’s going to sound as good as that old RCA?

Feb 1, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #1,924 of 2,646
You could also check the tightness of your sockets.

socket is tight. Amp is about a year old. Will try sanding the pins- The RCA really made the amp sing and I’m not willing to go back to the Sophia or the stock tube it came with. If worse comes to worse, I guess I can always hunt up another RCA, though they seem to be up quite a bit from what I paid last time.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #1,926 of 2,646
Sorry, double post::/ I can highly recommend 60’s vintage Svetlana 5C3S with the black plates ( not sure if any different in sound from gray) They are selling very cheap right now and I think sound fantastic. Something to consider I guess with the rapidly rising rates of good US rectifiers.

Feb 3, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #1,927 of 2,646
Sharing this gem today...

This is a Marconi Canada, (Canadian Marconi Company aka CMC) 5U4G from the early to mid 1950's. It was made by the Radiotron Valve Company, in Montreal, Canada. The Radiotron Valve Company didn't just make tubes for Marconi. They also made tubes for CGE(Canadian General Electric) and Westinghouse Canada. Maybe more.

I bought this tube, NOS from an organ repair and supply/service company that's based in Victoria, British Columbia. The owner of company had found a few cases of these NOS tubes that they had sitting around, forgotten about in a old supply room. I think I paid $45.00-$50.00 for it shipping included.

In terms of sound, it has alot in common with tubes produced in England during the same era. Very close to the U52 but with a soundstage that's a little further back. The highs are maybe a little relaxed and slightly rolled off. It does have a beautiful liquid mid-range with above average instrument separation. The bass is strong and extended. This rectifier goes low! Overall the sound is very pleasant with a warm tone. Recommend!

20210203_123426.jpg
20210203_123434.jpg
20210203_123545.jpg
20210203_123534.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #1,928 of 2,646
Anyone know the difference between the STC 5R4GY and the Brimar version, if any? I've read Brimar was part of STC prior until 1960, but don't know the relationship in the branding or construction. I picked up the pictured undated Brimar NOS dual O getter from that eBay seller in India who seems to have a ton of tubes, although this one w/o markings (he says they rubbed off). But any doubts about its origins seems to disappear in playback: It's the quietist and in some ways most addictive sounding recti I've come across (being used in a Supratek preamp). Not quite as (modestly) warm as I normally favor -- I suspect a little upper midrange bump -- but not unpleasantly far off either.

eBay photo - 4.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #1,930 of 2,646
Anyone know the difference between the STC 5R4GY and the Brimar version, if any? I've read Brimar was part of STC prior to 1960, but don't know the relationship in the branding or construction. I picked up the pictured undated Brimar NOS dual O getter from that eBay seller in India who seems to have a ton of tubes, although this one w/o markings (he says they rubbed off). But any doubts about its origins seems to disappear in playback: It's the quietist and in some ways most addictive sounding recti I've come across (being used in a Supratek preamp). Not quite as (modestly) warm as I normally favor -- I suspect a little upper midrange bump -- but not unpleasantly far off either.

That top mica structure is typical of later Brimar 5R4GY. And to my ears, it sounds the same as the earlier Brimar. And I agree. To my ears this is the best 5R4GY.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #1,931 of 2,646
I think rectifiers can have a very long life depending on obvious factors.

To be honest I've only listened to it for maybe 10 hours. I put it into my amp, Woo Audio WA6-SE, to test it out and to give it a listen. I'd say that the review of it on page one does a great job of describing the character. My primary rectifier is a GEC U52, which I absolutely love. Compared to the U52 it does have a little bit more warmth. It also has a more visceral bottom end. It's absolutely a classic tube and I'm happy to own one. I'll keep it as a backup for when my U52 goes out one day. At that point I'll use it as my primary. But yes, a great, great tube in my book.

I found the opposite. 53 is not as warm as the U 5 2. I also found the first tube on this thread leads the 52 in transparency and soundstage (by not much; and my system/taste).

Feb 10, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #1,932 of 2,646
I found the opposite. 53 is not as warm as the U 5 2. I also found the first tube on this thread leads the 52 in transparency and soundstage (by not much; and my system/taste).

I agree that the Western Electric 422a is the most transparent rectifier on the list. And as you noted all of these nuances are totally dependent on system and personal taste.

Feb 13, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #1,933 of 2,646
OK, so I received my brand new WA6-SE from Woo.
After reading a bit on this thread I already bought my first plastic black base Mullard / Philips GZ34. " Full tested on Funke W19S 145ma - 145ma it won’t get better. " No idea if that is good, but you have to start somewhere...

Laugh at me, just not too hard, if it is a waste of money, I paid 90 Euro's...

Feb 13, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #1,934 of 2,646
OK, so I received my brand new WA6-SE from Woo.
After reading a bit on this thread I already bought my first plastic black base Mullard / Philips GZ34. " Full tested on Funke W19S 145ma - 145ma it won’t get better. " No idea if that is good, but you have to start somewhere...

Laugh at me, just not too hard, if it is a waste of money, I paid 90 Euro's...

It's a perfectly good rectifier. And very frankly, it's best not to be too influenced by the opinions of others. Your ears will tell you if it's good. So in the end, if this GZ34 sounds good to you in your system this is all that matters.

Also, if you often roll different driver/power tubes, it is likely that no one rectifier will sound best with all combinations. So you might decide to try a few other rectifiers. But be careful... before you know it, you might have a 100 rectifiers (like me!) lol :)

Mar 3, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #1,935 of 2,646
Soooo... This is an infectious hobby...

Found the frequently mentioned Sophia Princess 274B and a Chatham 5R4WGA potato-masher (?)... The 274B is currently doing great things to my music..

Nearing endgame-station, for now...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back