Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison! (Rectifer Tube Rolling thread)
Aug 25, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #1,561 of 2,759
Just bought one off eBay. Will report back. Lol
Cheers

Ps: I'll be using it with a Wa6.
Hi Glenn,
Is it actually a SS rectifier? It was sold as one. However is looks and acts as a tube. Gets hot and glows at the top and bottom of the plates.

I'm kinda guessing it is a hybrid tube. SS on the bottom and tube at the top (maybe for cosmetic purpose?). I'm wondering what happens when the tube wears out.

Purchased from eBay for $18.00. There is a few more for sale.

Aug 25, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #1,562 of 2,759
I got this back from the seller.

New message from: visci05 (5,226)

​

Hi. Thank you for the good feedback. In the base located solid state rectifier. From real tube used just filament . If filament burn, this rectifier keep working. We did it just to keep radio in original look. Thanks

Your previous message​
Hi,
I received this last night. Super fast delivery thank you.
I was wondering if you know? This really looks like a tube and acts like a tube.
Is it kind of a hybrid? Part solid state and part tube?
Does the tube part actually effect the sound or is it just for looks/character?
If the tube part wears out will the solid state part continue to work?
Were these made some while back?

Sorry for all the questions. Just curious. Don't worry about rating. You will get 5/5 from me. Quick fast service and goods exactly as described.​

Aug 25, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #1,563 of 2,759
Got mine from the same guy. What are your thoughts?
I got this back from the seller.

New message from: [COLOR=336FB7]visci05
[COLOR=888888](5,226
)
[/COLOR]​
[/color]

​

Hi. Thank you for the good feedback. In the base located solid state rectifier. From real tube used just filament . If filament burn, this rectifier keep working. We did it just to keep radio in original look. Thanks

[tr]
[tr] [td]
[tr]
[tr] [td]

[/td][/TR][/tr]
[/td][/TR][/tr]

Your previous message​

Hi,

I received this last night. Super fast delivery thank you.

I was wondering if you know? This really looks like a tube and acts like a tube.

Is it kind of a hybrid? Part solid state and part tube?

Does the tube part actually effect the sound or is it just for looks/character?

If the tube part wears out will the solid state part continue to work?

Were these made some while back?

Sorry for all the questions. Just curious. Don't worry about rating. You will get 5/5 from me. Quick fast service and goods exactly as described.​

Aug 25, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #1,564 of 2,759
Got mine from the same guy. What are your thoughts?

Best sounding rectifier I've heard in my amp.
Better than the TAK274B, Brimar 5Z4GY and Mullard GZ32's that I own and have tried.

Aug 25, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #1,567 of 2,759
WOW!:fearful:
That TAK , is pricey. That's insane bro!

Better than Tak274b that is quite a bargain.

Of course that is just my opinion. Different techs.

Solid State has the same amount of bass but is clearer less boomy. Treble is higher and more detailed. I was listening for harshness and I didn't hear any. Mid-range is coming from my drivers (Tung-Sol round plates). I thought holographics might take a hit. Not so. Speed has improved a lot. Speed now sounds like a solid state amp.

Aug 25, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #1,568 of 2,759
I'm totally stoked for this "tube". Lol. I will definitely report back. I'll be comparing it to a Osram U52.

Solid State has the same amount of bass but is clearer less boomy. Treble is higher and more detailed. I was listening for harshness and I didn't hear any. Mid-range is coming from my drivers (Tung-Sol round plates). I thought holographics might take a hit. Not so. Speed has improved a lot. Speed now sounds like a solid state amp.

Aug 25, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #1,569 of 2,759

Yeah that sounds like what I thought a solid state rectifier might do- Cary Audio uses hexfred and it lets the driver and input tubes be more transparent.

Aug 25, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #1,570 of 2,759
Be careful the B+ voltage in the amp will be 50 volts higher with SS rectifiers.
Just because my amps can handle it don't mean others can. If the filter capacitors aren't over rated you can blow them up

Aug 26, 2016 at 12:46 AM Post #1,571 of 2,759
Be careful the B+ voltage in the amp will be 50 volts higher with SS rectifiers.
Just because my amps can handle it don't mean others can. If the filter capacitors aren't over rated you can blow them up

I was reading about some of that stuff on the net. How do we know or find out?
My WA22 middle transformer is warmer than usual. Not hot, not even mid warm. Just under mid warm. So I figure there is extra voltage going through.

Using it right now. Geez detail has taken a big bump for the better.
I also did a speed test. My WA22 is now solid state fast. Previously it fell apart on speed badly.

Aug 27, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #1,573 of 2,759
Update on the SS rectifier. I've removed. My amp was getting very, very hot. I used it for 3 hours yesterday and the whole amp was very warm. Transformers borderline hot. So I thought it was better to go back to tube rectification TAK274B until I find out more about SS tubes or a alternative SS tube.

Aug 27, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #1,575 of 2,759
Get this it has the proper voltage drop and should work fine.
http://www.tedweber.com/wu4gb

Thank you Glenn. Your knowledge is soooo valuable.

Have you considered making some of your amps with a SS rectifier?

I hope you are keeping well mate. It's been a while since we have chatted. Was your holday great?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back