Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison! (Rectifer Tube Rolling thread)
Aug 25, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #1,546 of 2,759
The damn thing sounds amazing. I've always wanted a hybrid amp. Just drive and power tubes. Rectifiers only change AC power to DC and Solid State can do it better.

These drop in Solid State rectifiers essentially changes the amps into hybrids.

Very sweet.
Maybe one day I'll get to hear one.

Aug 25, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #1,547 of 2,759

Can anyone tell me about these?

This was sold to me as a 5U4G Solid State rectifier. A drop in replacement.
Unlike other Solid State Rectifiers it looks like a tube and actually lights up and glows hot like a tube. GE markings with weird symbols on it.

The sound is incredible. I usually use the TAK274B. One very nice tube. This GE out does it and it is only $20. Snappier than the TAK274B. Not more bass but cleaner, more treble with no distortion and the speed is lightning fast. Very holographic and like I said snappier. I like it a lot.

I was warned to have a standby switch as the solid state rectifier can hurt the power and drive tubes. I timed the WA22. It has a 23 second warmup before engaging. Seemed to work fine.

Very interesting.

Same goes for the #83 Mercury vapor rectifier they say it is best to warm it up before using full power i warm it up in my tube tester 

Aug 25, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #1,548 of 2,759

The damn thing sounds amazing. I've always wanted a hybrid amp. Just drive and power tubes. Rectifiers only change AC power to DC and Solid State can do it better.
These drop in Solid State rectifiers essentially changes the amps into hybrids.

It is my understanding that a "hybrid amp" has a tubed driver stage and solid state output stage. For example, the Little Dot 1+, Lyr and Liquid Glass.

Aug 25, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #1,549 of 2,759

It is my understanding that a "hybrid amp" has a tubed driver stage and solid state output stage. For example, the Little Dot 1+, Lyr and Liquid Glass.

It can be a hybrid of anything. To myself and a friend we have been talking about getting rid of rectifiers. They don't do much anyway. We wish more manufacturers drop rectifiers. Using these solid state rectifiers is kinda doing that.

This SS rectifier is doing a better job than the very expensive TAK274B.

Aug 25, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #1,551 of 2,759
That, or in rare cases the other way round; rectifiers don't count.

If it doesn't count then why do they make tube amps with rectifiers? I'm not being rude. Just curious. Hope this comes across the right way.

Aug 25, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #1,553 of 2,759
It doesn't count defining a hybrid amp.

Okay.

Has anyone had experience with these SS rectifiers? Are they safe to use?
Certainly sound fabulous. I have another SS rectifier coming as well.

Aug 25, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #1,554 of 2,759

It doesn't count defining a hybrid amp.

Okay.

Ya gibosi tried these recently might try the GLENNS THREAD 

Aug 25, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #1,555 of 2,759

I have a hexfred SS rectifier that plugs into a 5U4 socket and it does sound great. And yes, in my experience, they are perfectly safe to use. However, with certain driver/output tube combinations, I still prefer vacuum tube rectifiers. In the end, it is all about synergy. Sometimes the hexfred is better and sometimes it's not.

Aug 25, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #1,556 of 2,759

I have a hexfred SS rectifier that plugs into a 5U4 socket and it does sound great. And yes, in my experience, they are perfectly safe to use. However, with certain driver/output tube combinations, I still prefer vacuum tube rectifiers. In the end, it is all about synergy. Sometimes the hexfred is better and sometimes it's not.

Can you link or show me what a hexfred is?

I'm going to try one of these as well:

http://www.tedweber.com/gadgets/copper-cap-rectifiers

They are suppose to be the best. I've been in contact and they suggest WU4GB

Aug 25, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #1,557 of 2,759

Do you warm hexfred up somehow before using in your amp  i think i saw something about this 

Aug 25, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #1,558 of 2,759
  Do you warm hexfred up somehow before using in your amp  i think i saw something about this 

No I don't. They don't seem to need it and Glenn has never mentioned doing this....

Can you link or show me what a hexfred is?

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/what-does-a-hexfred-do

Aug 25, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #1,560 of 2,759

Were did you get that GE SS rectifier?

Hi Glenn,
Is it actually a SS rectifier? It was sold as one. However is looks and acts as a tube. Gets hot and glows at the top and bottom of the plates.
I'm kinda guessing it is a hybrid tube. SS on the bottom and tube at the top (maybe for cosmetic purpose?). I'm wondering what happens when the tube wears out.

Purchased from eBay for $18.00. There is a few more for sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back