Dubstep enthusiast needs headphones!
May 26, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #16 of 30
The D2000 isn't really portable, maybe trans-portable at best. I wouldn't fancy walking about with a 3m cable.

The HFI-580 might have good impact, but dubstep needs sub-bass in the 30Hz-80Hz region. I suppose you could EQ some in.

May 26, 2011 at 9:25 AM Post #17 of 30
i think some advice for which ones i should choose, would probably help if i included the prices.

to get to australia, i need to pay:

HFI-580 - $235
ATH-m50 - $180
phiaton ms400 - (i love the look of these) - $170

so, are the 580s worth it?

V-moda Crossfades LP, Sony MDR-XB1000, don't like the look of both, sorry.

May 26, 2011 at 9:33 AM Post #18 of 30

Quote:
i think some advice for which ones i should choose, would probably help if i included the prices.

to get to australia, i need to pay:

HFI-580 - $235
ATH-m50 - $180
phiaton ms400 - (i love the look of these) - $170

so, are the 580s worth it?

V-moda Crossfades LP, Sony MDR-XB1000, don't like the look of both, sorry.

Crap. Those are big prices 0.0

My HFI-580s are $220, but that's just 'cause I'm in Asia and anything from the West is ridiculously expensive...

I'm not really phased, since shipping them over also costs about the same as buying locally. Therefore, prices in countries differ and the "worth" of headphones also changes in accordance with the location of the buyer.

If you like the sound, get it. Because I doubt that the ones you listed are the only brands having the overseas price jump...

**EDIT: I stand corrected. I wonder how you managed to get the Phiatons that cheap... 0.0

May 26, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #19 of 30

Quote:

Crap. Those are big prices 0.0

My HFI-580s are $220, but that's just 'cause I'm in Asia and anything from the West is ridiculously expensive...

I'm not really phased, since shipping them over also costs about the same as buying locally. Therefore, prices in countries differ and the "worth" of headphones also changes in accordance with the location of the buyer.

If you like the sound, get it. Because I doubt that the ones you listed are the only brands having the overseas price jump...

**EDIT: I stand corrected. I wonder how you managed to get the Phiatons that cheap... 0.0

the problem is, australia doesnt have many headphone shops, so 580s go for $320 in those stores... It also means i cannot test each one out, so that's why i'm relying on this forum to get me the best one.

May 26, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #20 of 30
I can't comment on the Phiaton as I've never had them.

Out of the M50 and 580 I'd say the 580. I preferred the bass on the 580 out of those 2, but then upgraded it to a Pro900. My one gripe with it was the stupidly long cable which annoyed me when using it portably although I suppose you could braid it.

May 26, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #21 of 30
To TS:

Its kind of a tossup between the M50 and 580.  M50's go a bit deeper (580s do it well but there is noticeable taper around 60hz down) but 580's are much punchier and clearer in the mids/highs.  Also what are you going to be running these headphones with, I've noticed both of these phones run great out of portable devices but low-end extension suffers with no amp. 

Long-term I'd recommend the 580s as I feel they're superior headphones and save up for a cmoy/fiio or similar product.  Out of the box these guys may not go as deep as the M50's but with EQ and amp they handle whatever I throw at them.  If your budget limits you to the M50's they're great too but amp em for sure.

Not sure what kind of dubstep you listen to but I was amazed on how Zed's Dead tracks sounded on the 580s.

Quote:
I can't comment on the Phiaton as I've never had them.

Out of the M50 and 580 I'd say the 580. I preferred the bass on the 580 out of those 2, but then upgraded it to a Pro900. My one gripe with it was the stupidly long cable which annoyed me when using it portably although I suppose you could braid it.

I hate that cord when I take them on the go, perfect for home but I need to recable just cant decide if I should stay cheap with Mogami or spring for something a bit more $$ since don't plan on getting rid of these guys...ever.

May 26, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #22 of 30
To those recommending the XB1000. They have less bass than the lower end models and I was seriously looking for some when I tried them on.

I would say XB700 and XB500 are best for bass imo. I'm surprised no one recommended the MAudio Q40? Best bass I've heard yet from a Closed can especially when you change the pads to Velour.

May 27, 2011 at 5:33 AM Post #23 of 30

Quote:
To TS:

Its kind of a tossup between the M50 and 580.  M50's go a bit deeper (580s do it well but there is noticeable taper around 60hz down) but 580's are much punchier and clearer in the mids/highs.  Also what are you going to be running these headphones with, I've noticed both of these phones run great out of portable devices but low-end extension suffers with no amp. 

Long-term I'd recommend the 580s as I feel they're superior headphones and save up for a cmoy/fiio or similar product.  Out of the box these guys may not go as deep as the M50's but with EQ and amp they handle whatever I throw at them.  If your budget limits you to the M50's they're great too but amp em for sure.

Not sure what kind of dubstep you listen to but I was amazed on how Zed's Dead tracks sounded on the 580s.

listen to: 
skrillex 
foreign beggars
spor
more skrillex
the rest are underground, lol.

non dubstep:
cee lo green
linkin park
mumford and sons.

I don't want to fork out another $100-150 on an amp, considering the prices i'm paying. (the word student is a synonym for broke) does this mean i should just get an m50 then?

Also, m50 users; are these portable? They look a little more suited for home use as they look a little chunky. could just be the pics i'm looking at.

One more thing, what's TS? Thread Starter? I'm used to OP, but w/e

EDIT: http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/ultrasone-hfi-580/4505-7877_7-32983712.html this guy is saying not to put 580's in your ipod? Mine are going to be in my galaxy s a lot of the time.... is this bad? if so, how about the other headphones?

May 27, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #24 of 30
I used the M50 in a bus before. They are fairly big, however u can fold them (if you want pics lemme know) so they become fairly small and portable.
I recommend you the Fiio E11, which costs you 60 plus shipping, which is a pretty good deal for a good sounding amp.

I would only listen to CNet to an extend as they are not exactly audiophiles. They recommend using the 2200 with the iPod instead,
which is kinda true, but the 580 is at least equally suitable for the iPod. However, a portable amp helps.
If not, just go for the M50

Jun 2, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #25 of 30

Quote:

listen to: 
skrillex 
foreign beggars
spor
more skrillex
the rest are underground, lol.

non dubstep:
cee lo green
linkin park
mumford and sons.

I don't want to fork out another $100-150 on an amp, considering the prices i'm paying. (the word student is a synonym for broke) does this mean i should just get an m50 then?

Also, m50 users; are these portable? They look a little more suited for home use as they look a little chunky. could just be the pics i'm looking at.

One more thing, what's TS? Thread Starter? I'm used to OP, but w/e

EDIT: http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/ultrasone-hfi-580/4505-7877_7-32983712.html this guy is saying not to put 580's in your ipod? Mine are going to be in my galaxy s a lot of the time.... is this bad? if so, how about the other headphones?

someone say spor and skrillex in the same sentence....

let me see your bass pass please.

Jun 2, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #26 of 30
ATH-M50. But get the coiled cable if you're using it on the go. The straight cable is almost 11 feet long 
basshead.gif

Jun 2, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #29 of 30

Users who are viewing this thread

Back