Dubstep enthusiast needs headphones!
May 25, 2011 at 1:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

moey

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I've been lurking around here for a few days on and off, trying to make sense of which headphones to get. Each time i see something, there's some sort of bass or look or feel problem with it...Can you please help me out?

-i listen to dubstep and the like - heavy bass
- don't want people around me hearing my music 
- want something stylish, skullcandys and JVCs look ugly.
- needs to be portable, for home,bus,school.

needs to be <~$200 incl. postage to Sydney, Australia.

willing to get off ebay if required, but if you have a store i can get it from, that would be good.

Apparently the:

HFI-580s don't have good bass (but they look so nice!)
grado sr60i is not common for some reason, it also looks nice,
grado sr125i seems to be good but it's $240+ with postage wherever i look
ATH pro700 mk2's have good bass but... idk, i need confirmation of if they're good for normal music every now and then (rap, pop, rnb)

that's all i know of, the above points could be wrong.

Help me out please, student budget doesn't allow for mistakes :)

Cheers,
Moey

p.s

i know there's a request thread but i do plan to make several replies and questions on each post;as well as the fact that it would be good for a once-off thread to just have bass headphones for others.

May 25, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #2 of 30
To be honest here, 99% of the newcomers wants headphones with heavy bass over everything. If anything is rare, that is someone asking for starting headphone with great treble, midrange, soundstage or detail, asking for bass is the most common for new joiners.

May 25, 2011 at 4:24 AM Post #4 of 30
HFI-580's do have bass. plenty of it.
M50's have a less. but they are imo a good all-rounder. Do the one mod where they take the foam off the earcup = good mids. Maybe add the E11 for good highs. If not, the M50 are still aight.
But you should still take a look at Ultrasone's. They are known to be bass heavy

May 25, 2011 at 6:10 AM Post #5 of 30
HFI 580. Not good bass? BLASPHEMY

Lol. But in all seriousness, the HFI 580 works very well with electronica, dance, hip-hop, and other energetic genres. Bass is tight, very well controlled and above all, sub-bass is presented very well, though not as good as the M50s.

Dubstep needs bass and lots of it. I don't really think the SR-60i's bass well work as well on dubstep than on the HFI 580. The HFI-580 are also almost as versatile (some say just as) as the M50s, so all other genres will work well on it, with the exception of classical due to the slight lack of soundstage (though they're not bad per se). However, with the alternative genres you listed, the HFI 580s are definitely your type of headphones. Awesome-looking too :D

A lot say that the ATH Pro700 has phenomenal, earth-shaking bass, but I personally have not heard it yet.

May 25, 2011 at 6:31 AM Post #6 of 30
You really should be looking at the HFI-580s with some amping / EQ to really bump them.

If you don't have a portable amp then get the Sony XB500.

Audio Technica ATH Pro700 MK2 are reported to be bass monsters according to the Headfonia review

http://www.headfonia.com/bass-to-the-power-of-two-pro700-mk2/

May 25, 2011 at 6:41 AM Post #7 of 30
The HFI580 does have good bass, but as a major basshead and dubstep-head I do not think it does dubstep justice and neither does the M50. The Denon D1100 has more bass than both of them (in the form of an almost overwhelming mid-bass hump), but it has rolled off sub-bass and may not fit your stylish requirement.

Sony XB500 would have the bass you desire, but little else and may not be ideal for portable use due to isolation and leakage.

TBH, I don't think there are many portable headphones that can do dubstep justice (it really needs a subwoofer to be appreciated fully) and I also think some IEMs do a better job, perhaps because they seal better and can create nice bass pressure in the ear canal?

The Monster Miles Davis and IE8 (dial cranked to the max) are good bass-monster IEMs for dubstep, but maybe out of your budget. Perhaps Atrios or vanilla Turbines?

May 25, 2011 at 7:06 AM Post #8 of 30
Did you look into IEM's, Because you portability they can't really be beat and some of them have amazing bass, But as mentioned everyone starts off with wanting bass and after afew months you will get bored of the headaches and want more soundstage mid's and trebble, I bought the sennheiser IE8's because when you want the bass you can really open them up with the screws built into the IEM's and when you're not wanting your eye balls shaking you can close the screw.

Gardo SR60I get my vote just because you can mod them so much, I had alot of fun and broken nails from modding my HD555's, But that's what this game is all about.

Nat x.

May 26, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #9 of 30
I typed a massive quotation + reply to everyone and then my brother decides to lean on the mouse which was on the red X button. so i'ma keep this short, thanks for righting my misconceptions and i'll look into where i can find those headphones cheap to australia. IF anyone has some good links, i'll take them.

Will research what IEMs are. as well as atrios and vanilla turbines.

thanks, all.

EDIT:

IEMs are not happening,

I'm down to HFI-580s vs ATH-m50s. 

May 26, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #10 of 30
Check out the Denon AH-D2000.

May 26, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #12 of 30

Quote:
I typed a massive quotation + reply to everyone and then my brother decides to lean on the mouse which was on the red X button. so i'ma keep this short, thanks for righting my misconceptions and i'll look into where i can find those headphones cheap to australia. IF anyone has some good links, i'll take them.

Will research what IEMs are. as well as atrios and vanilla turbines.

thanks, all.

EDIT:

IEMs are not happening,

I'm down to HFI-580s vs ATH-m50s. 

Will repeat again, for dubstep and other bass-heavy music the HFI-580s are much, much better due to their bigger bass impact. The bass impact on the M50s are disappointingly disappointing.

Bass is also tighter, not as boomy, does not reach as far down as the M50s but are definitely "sharper". (is that the right word?)

May 26, 2011 at 9:03 AM Post #13 of 30

[size=medium]
IEM -> in-ear monitors  ...tight-fit ear-buds that isolate very well.

I've personally tried the Audio Technica ATH-700Pro and the bass is as heavy as the Beats Pro.  However, I feel that at a cheaper price the ATH-700Pro also has better sound overall.  
Usually bass-heavy does not equate to good isolation tho.  

"Audiophiles" usually suggest the Ultrasone HFI-580

However, if you want "bass-boosted" stuff try the
V-moda Crossfades LP, Sony MDR-XB1000 (bass-boosted) or search for DJ headphones ...most are bass-heavy.

I've never tried any of these but am planning to get #2 and #3 to test for fun against my Denon AH-D7000 headphones.  I bought these for watching movies and the bass is awesome!  I can really physically feel the vibrations from the earphones.  :)  However, the Denon AH-D7000 costs 900-1000 US.

When you ask for bass heavy phones in "audiophile" forums, you might sometimes be looked down on by "audiophiles" who consider us "newbies".  Most ppl on this forum look for "deep bass", "bass that does not muddy the midrange", "silky highs", etc.  
I just wish people could just kindly give us suggestions and then slowly guide us from bass-heavy to "high-end", salary-busting headphones that cost $1000+.  
confused_face_2.gif

[/size]

May 26, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #15 of 30

Quote:
[size=medium]
IEM -> in-ear monitors  ...tight-fit ear-buds that isolate very well.

I've personally tried the Audio Technica ATH-700Pro and the bass is as heavy as the Beats Pro.  However, I feel that at a cheaper price the ATH-700Pro also has better sound overall.  
Usually bass-heavy does not equate to good isolation tho.  

"Audiophiles" usually suggest the Ultrasone HFI-580

However, if you want "bass-boosted" stuff try the
V-moda Crossfades LP, Sony MDR-XB1000 (bass-boosted) or search for DJ headphones ...most are bass-heavy.

I've never tried any of these but am planning to get #2 and #3 to test for fun against my Denon AH-D7000 headphones.  I bought these for watching movies and the bass is awesome!  I can really physically feel the vibrations from the earphones.  :)  However, the Denon AH-D7000 costs 900-1000 US.

When you ask for bass heavy phones in "audiophile" forums, you might sometimes be looked down on by "audiophiles" who consider us "newbies".  Most ppl on this forum look for "deep bass", "bass that does not muddy the midrange", "silky highs", etc.  
I just wish people could just kindly give us suggestions and then slowly guide us from bass-heavy to "high-end", salary-busting headphones that cost $1000+.  
confused_face_2.gif

[/size]

I see. Well then, have you seen my other recommendations? I usually recommend the XB series too if the OP asks for massive bass. Here is a dubstep enthusiast. He needs the bass clarity too, otherwise the low end will completely veil and eventually destroy the rest of the spectrum.

The XB series does not work well with electronica. The V-Modas are expensive too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back