DTX 910 or ATH AD500
Dec 31, 2010 at 3:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

mordante

New Head-Fier
[size=10pt]Hello everyone,[/size]

[size=10pt]I would like some advice on my first proper pair of headphones. I did some searching and I asked around and so far I have narrowed my search down to 2 models. The Beyerdynamic DTX 910 and the Audio Technica ATH AD500, these cost about the same where I live (the Netherlands). The headphones will only be used when I sit at my computer playing games, listening to music, watching some videos and VOIP.[/size]

[size=10pt]Since I spend lots of hours at my computer I would like a really comfortable pair of headphones and since I am a bit of an audiophile I do appreciate decent sound quality.[/size]

[size=10pt]My two main concerns are:[/size]
[size=10pt]1) Where I live I don't have the opportunity to try them out. There are not a lot if any stores that sell the close to where I live. Now I can get in the car and try and find a shop that does carry them. But it's my birthday soon and the headphones are a gift from my mother, so I would really like to buy/order the ASAP so they will be here for my birthday. So will those 2 models I mentioned earlier fit my generic head. Or do you really need to try before you buy.[/size]
[size=10pt]2) I don't have a headphone amp. Will a computer be able to drive these headphones or do I need to look else where.[/size]

[size=10pt]I'm open to suggestions. I prefer to buy from a Dutch or European shop or website Amazon tends to be a lot cheaper but by the time they will arrive at my house, import duty, tax, transport costs and VAT will make them a lot more expensive.[/size]

[size=10pt]Ps sorry for my poor English, languages have never been my forte[/size]

Dec 31, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #2 of 4
Welcome to Head-fi!

Both the DTX910 and the AD500 are have 32ohm impedance, so you should have no problem listening to them straight out of the computer.

I couldn't find any reviews or comparisons on the DTX910's, so I can't really say much about them.

The AD500's seem to suit your needs fine, but I think you might want to consider the ATH AD700's instead. They're always being praised for gaming because of the wider soundstage and better clarity than what you might get with the AD500's. On Amazon, the AD700's are actually cheaper than the AD500's (~$96USD vs $118), so that would be my highest recommendation. I know Amazon isn't a possibility for you, but hopefully the stores nearby will reflect the same price.

Dec 31, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #3 of 4
Thank you for the reponse. The price of an AD500 is on average a little below €100 while the AD700 is a little above €140, so an AD700 is not an option for me €100 is the max for me. I would love to find a AD700 for <€100.

Dec 31, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #4 of 4
Wow, I didn't realize there'd be such a big difference for Europe. Well, here's a couple more headphones you might want to consider based on your price range:

Sennheiser HD555
AKG K240 (used will be cheaper, and still have great SQ)
-or, one step down: AKG K142HD
Grado SR60i

To my knowledge, the AD500 will still be a good fit, but I honestly cannot find any real reviews on the DTX910. I would assume that, being Beyers, they should be comfortable, but the other headphones I listed have a bigger reputation worth looking into.

To narrow down the list, is there any specific type of music you listen to? Do you care about sound leakage (these are all open cans)?

Oh, and since you can't use Amazon, here's a couple sites I found that ship to the Netherlands:
http://www.thomann.de/
http://www.iheadphones.co.uk/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back