dt990 rattling, calling beyer experts :)
Apr 29, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #46 of 53
Hi,I am really sick of those hair and dust that comes through the headphones, this is the second time it happened to me, I bought 2 new speakers from berdynamic and my friend did the work for me changing them. it worked fine and everything worked good till this day.

I test the  http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

Quality

Bass Shaker

Poorly built or extensively worn headphones may start to rattle whenever loud or deep bass content is played. The next file scans bass frequencies and will literally shake your drivers when turning the level up. Adjust the volume in your headphone so that the test is made at a high level: the sweeping tone should remain pure and clear at all frequencies, without any parasitic buzz or rattle appearing in one earpiece or the other.

and it just have shaking rattling and parasitic buzz small and big.

I have second new Berdynamic 990DT just in case something like that happened.  I tried everything from guides, cables, cleaning, it doesn't seem to 100% perfect and in my case not even 10%.

Is there any Quality headphones that has the exact or better quality without the hair and cleaning problem ?  I could have bought already 1 headphones for the price of 2 headphones + speakers replacement for that price. now I don't want it to happen again, I use the headphones 24/7. without them I'm limiting to no use for gaming/movies/chat.

Please help with that, I want better quality than berdynamic 990DT , and WITHOUT the hair issues or cleaning.

I guess I prefer OPEN ones because of bass quality, or if there are headphone which have both advantages, means if its closed and has the bass like open headphones and such.

EDIT : By any chance if it happened to both speakers at the same time worn speakers ? Because I keep my headphones speaker at 50% and on the highest ohms 600 in Xonar phoebus settings. sometimes movies in games or logo movies have 100% volume set to them so till the game start it just have it on maximum volume, some movies are long or really loud, could this destroy my speakers after say 10 times running ? Because it happened on both speakers. I can't imagine that both speakers will have hair with same identical issues on the same time.

What is the safe volume to keep ? 40% ? 30% ?  ------ 50% like I said is dangerous because sometimes it just doesn't follow it.

Thanks

Jun 12, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #47 of 53
Guys i need your help. I have the exact same problem, i opened the driver and i saw white "hairs" but i think it was part of the driver because they were stuck. I removed 2 of these, but i left one because it was stuck and i didn't want to damage the driver. I still have the problem though... 

Jun 12, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #48 of 53
The hairs were on the driver itself?  Or wer4e they on the white filter screens that cover the face of the driver and the surrounding area?

Jun 12, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #49 of 53
Well, they were on the driver, so i just think they were hairs. I didn't damage the driver so far. :)   However i managed to remove every little hair except one, because it's really stuck. Finally i gave up, but the problem is still there. I send the headphones to beyerdynamic (before i open the headphones)  but they said there was no problem with the driver, but it's driving me insane!!! Any ideas?

Jun 12, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #50 of 53
Not sure, maybe someone else knows.  I would take a look at it for you, but you are a little too far away. 
redface.gif

Edit: try using painter's tape.

Jan 6, 2015 at 5:50 AM Post #52 of 53

So my DT990-600Ohm was having this issue.

This was brand new so I knew it had nothing to do with "HAIR" getting inside. It sounded to me as it was a Gluing issue. I didn't have evidence to back up my hypothesis so I had to see the driver. Took it apart and BAM! 
I was right - 

Over-Driven like its in a Vortex. This was at very high SPL at around 40Hz + Other Frequencies in the mix.
The Baffle Housing was not causing it, I found out that if the internal housing if pushed at specific angle stops rattling until it hits low-excursion. I was able to get them to a very high level where it was agreeable. I'm sure those Middle-Aged women in Heilbronn ****ed up their assembly line that day. Its hitting excursion earlier than the standard but is wayyyy better than it was. 
While putting the ring I had to seat them at a specific location, resonating spots were all over the place.
Its time they resort to automation for modern DTs and Teslas, the DT48 having a error free design is easier to hand assemble. These modern DTs are menial compared to the likes of the DT48.

Jan 6, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #53 of 53
Over the first year I have cleaned my DT880 2 times already.
I noticed that it wasn't an actual hairs sticking to diaphragm but the black "hairs" from the headphone inside - black foam/mesh.
Some of the hairs fuzes/sticks to the diaphragm quite hard so when pulling out there is a chance to tear/deform diaphragm easily.
After pulling hairs out there were small marks left on the diaphragm which might have negative impact on the sound.

Above black mesh easily looses "hairs". I have used sticky paper roller (below pic) to take out as mush as possible loose hairs from this mesh (from both sides) and I haven't noticed rattling at least for a year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back