dt990 rattling, calling beyer experts :)
Jan 25, 2007 at 5:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

Shahrose

Headphoneus Supremus
hey my right driver is rattling on 30hz-50hz bass sweeps/music that uses that frequency, it's more prominent at higher volumes, what do you guys think it is?, the rest of the spectrum is perfect and there are no distortions.

it's definately the headphones, my other phones don't have this prob, i think i noticed it a few weeks ago but i just realized that it wasn't the song/recording but the phones themselves.

anyways, help would be appreciated...i'm thinking maybe a loose piece of hardened glue or hair (doubt it's a hair coz the beyers have such thick foam padding inside)

i'm not sure how to open this...so yea help
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2007 at 8:08 AM Post #2 of 53
Most likely it's a hair, especially if it just "started" one day.

It's hard to explain how to open up the beyer's without pictures, but i'll try my best. Also note, this may void you warrenty.

Peal off the velour ear pads. They just tear right off the plastic retainer. Take out the hairs and dust from the pads to start with. ^_^

Now, you should be exposed to the foam. You can start very eaisly by plucking all the hairs out of the foam. Even though the foam is thick, hairs do sneak in.

Once you've got the hairs out, play some bass sweeps and see if it's still occuring. If it's still occuring, we move on.

To take off the foam pads, you must first take off the plastic ring that is holding the foam in there. To do this, look for the little slot in the plastic ring that fit's into the plastic outer housing. To the left and righ side of this, you should see a little indentation in the ring. At the edges of this indentation, you should see a very small but deeper indentation. You can pry this open with a small screwdriver very gently (don't break it!). Do this on both sides of the plastic slot, and then you should be able to pull the plastic ring out. Take the foam pad out with it.

Now, take all the hairs out of the bottom side of the foam pad. Might be a good time to also remove the ear wax/dust/lint if any builtup.

Also, look very closely at the driver (just the bubble part of the white thing). See if there are any hairs. If there are, pluck them out gently. Careful though, now that the plastic ring has been removed, the driver can fall out eaisly. Make sure not to tip it upside down.

When you are all finished, put the foam back, then put the plastic ring back making sure the slot fit's in the rail. Test if the driver is still making this noise. Hopefully it won't be, and you can put the velour ear pads back on (the hard part, hahaha). To put the ear pads back on, you can do 50% with your hands, and you may need a very small screwdriver for the last 50%.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Jan 26, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #3 of 53
sounds like a nightmare, i'm scared to try that. i wish i had some pics or something why can't beyers be as easy as senns to take apart
redface.gif

Jan 26, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #4 of 53
ok did that...bad news though, the problem wasn't fixed...am i looking at a blown driver here?

Jan 26, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #5 of 53
i had this EXACT problem with the rattling. i opened them up exactly how towert7 described. the plastic ring popped off fairly easily for me.

thanks towert7, unfortunately the faint rattling is still present, gonna have to call beyerdynamic tomorrow.

Jan 26, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #6 of 53
I actually have an old pair of DT990pro's that I have disassembled, so I'll take a rough picture or two to help show how. It'll be the same exact thing for your DT770pro's. Give me a few minutes.

Jan 26, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #7 of 53
oh no u dont have to do that hehe i just finished the procedure, got everything to work out, thanks for that...but the problem is the rattling is still there
frown.gif

very disappointed because i don't have a way to replace these, they were extremely difficult to get here in canada, i had to buy them from the US and have them shipped to someone who shipped them to me, what a pain that was...i guess i'll have to call beyer or something?

Jan 26, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #8 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh no u dont have to do that hehe i just finished the procedure, got everything to work out, thanks for that...but the problem is the rattling is still there
frown.gif

very disappointed because i don't have a way to replace these, they were extremely difficult to get here in canada, i had to buy them from the US and have them shipped to someone who shipped them to me, what a pain that was...i guess i'll have to call beyer or something?

lol, already took the pics, so might as well just post them for other's to see.

Yea, you should contact beyerdynamic and see what they recommend.
apart1.jpg

apart2.jpg

The green thing is that little slot I was talking about, and the blue spots are a good place to pry the ring off.

Jan 26, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #9 of 53
nice pics, appreciate that. yea i'm gonna call beyer tomorrow, hopefully they send me a new one without trouble...i've heard their customer service isn't the greatest.

Jan 26, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #10 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice pics, appreciate that. yea i'm gonna call beyer tomorrow, hopefully they send me a new one without trouble...i've heard their customer service isn't the greatest.

Most likely they will ask you to ship them back and they will just fix it.

Jan 26, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #12 of 53
o definately not :O

i tried emailing beyerdynamic a week ago a few times and they never replied and i didnt have their phone number so i had no other option at the time, anyhoo, they dontneed to know about what i did, not like i damaged it.

Jan 26, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #13 of 53
im in canada as u can see...it would suck if i had to ship them to the US. we're looking at around 15-20 bucks shipping for the cheapest slowest option.

Jan 26, 2007 at 7:56 AM Post #14 of 53
i too sent them an email earlier this week. havent' heard back from them. i thought it was stupid that they didn't post any other contacts other than emailing them through their website. i don't know where i found this, but i stumbled on their phone number: (631) 293-3200. i was going to send you the link where i found it, but i can't find it now. i remember it being under one of their pdf pages. i'm gonna give them a call tomorrow as i seem to have a similar issue with you.

how obvious your rattling? mine is very subtle though it is definitely audible. it seems to be very picky in when it rattles... some of my recordings sound flawless with these headphones... but the recordings where there is thick texturized ambient noise or really quiet bass it seems to bother me the most. i'm afraid when i send it in they're going to send it back to me saying they can't hear anything wrong with them.

Jan 26, 2007 at 8:11 AM Post #15 of 53
Here is a phone number for the Beyer service in Canada. Hope it helps.

Conference & Presentation, Music & Performance, Broadcast, Studio, Video & Production, Consumer Products
940 Gateway Drive
L7L 5K7 Burlington, Ontario
Canada
Phone: +1 905 6312641
Fax: +1 877 3861956
sales[at]whiteradio.com
Responsible for: Canada

If not, try Beyer USA at:

beyerdynamic USA
Paul Froula

Central Regional Sales Manager
Music & Performance, Consumer Products