DT990 Pro Impressions Thread
Aug 21, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #1,022 of 1,091
ANY kind of rock/metal is friggin amazing out of these. I could listen to Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster or Portal no problem. Yeah the sharp treble is a bit much but I'm starting to like how it works. 

The more I research into the Beyer line I'm thinking this is probably the best out of the bunch for someone like me outside of the T1 or T90.

Sep 4, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #1,024 of 1,091
Sep 16, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #1,026 of 1,091
Can anyone offer me their thoughts on the 32ohm version vs the 250 ohm and 600 ohm? Does the SQ suffer as a result of reduced impedance? Is there any worries on the dreaded voice coil wire problem?

Sep 23, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #1,028 of 1,091
Oct 9, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #1,029 of 1,091
I got my DT 990 Pros (250 ohm) a couple weeks ago , like new on ebay for just $90 . Running them through the headphone jack on my speaker's (Boston Acoustics BA7900 , hooked up to my Asus Xonar D2 sound card) control pod . I have to turn it up just a bit higher than my HD 598 SE's , but I have plenty of volume . Sounds excellent ( l listen to mostly metal) ! Plenty of bass , mids are good enough . The highs are a bit sharp , but I'm ok with it , nothing that can't be fixed with an eq adjustment .

Oct 11, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #1,030 of 1,091
I'm trying to figure out how to get more from my DT990 pros and if an amp and DAC would do the trick.

I've had my DT990 Pros (250 ohm) for about 4 years now.  I got them with the intention of gaming (Playstation) and music.  However, I never really fell in love with the sound for music. Perhaps I didn't give them enough of a chance and gave up too quickly.  For gaming the've been great.  They are so comfortable that I could wear them all day if I wanted to.  I've had them amped with a Fiio E09K since I've had them.  Now I'm not an electrical engineer so when I see reviews using impedance and amps and ohms it all starts going over my head.  Just looking at the numbers it would seem that the E09K was enough to power the DT990s, but they never really popped in the sound department.  Everything has always seemed understated and distant.  I mostly listen to rock and metal.  Not really extreme metal, but styles that are closer to hard rock and perhaps some thrash.  Perhaps it's the scooped mid sound that I don't like, or maybe it's a lack of power from the amp.  The music I listen to typically needs some thumping mid-bass and the mids add tone to the music.  Scoop them out too much and the music kinda loses it's personality, IMO.  I really don't know, these are my first and only set of "good" headphones.  

Now I know the Fiio E09K was a budget solid state amp when I got it.  I read it was enough to power the headphones, and it does work.  I just don't know if there is a better option that would help me the sound come more alive, or perhaps a better DAC in addition would help.  I've been eyeing the Schiit Bifrost off and on for a couple years now and never pulled the trigger.  Then I started thinking that maybe an amp and DAC together would help give some substance to the headphones.  Maybe something like a Bifrost 4490 and a Lyr 2 (or Valhalla 2).  I was leaning to Schiit amps because I was pretty set on the Bifrost and I like the matching style and footprint of their amps, that's not to say I wouldn't be open to other or better suggestions in the price range.  

So after that long winded post I guess I'm asking for opinions on where to take my setup from this point.  Should I stick with the DT990s and add an amp and/or DAC and maybe even an equilizer?  If so, any suggestions?  Or would I be better suited to try to find headphones that maybe have a signature that is more my style?  And if that's the case does anyone have suggestions?  I don't travel with the headphones, so they don't have to be closed and they don't have to be low impedance.  However, they do have to be full sized, over ear style and comfortable to wear.  I hate headphones that push against my ears.  I find the DT990 incredibly comfortable and if I were to get a new pair I wouldn't want to lose that comfort.  

Oct 11, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #1,031 of 1,091
  I'm trying to figure out how to get more from my DT990 pros and if an amp and DAC would do the trick.

I've had my DT990 Pros (250 ohm) for about 4 years now.  I got them with the intention of gaming (Playstation) and music.  However, I never really fell in love with the sound for music. Perhaps I didn't give them enough of a chance and gave up too quickly.  For gaming the've been great.  They are so comfortable that I could wear them all day if I wanted to.  I've had them amped with a Fiio E09K since I've had them.  Now I'm not an electrical engineer so when I see reviews using impedance and amps and ohms it all starts going over my head.  Just looking at the numbers it would seem that the E09K was enough to power the DT990s, but they never really popped in the sound department.  Everything has always seemed understated and distant.  I mostly listen to rock and metal.  Not really extreme metal, but styles that are closer to hard rock and perhaps some thrash.  Perhaps it's the scooped mid sound that I don't like, or maybe it's a lack of power from the amp.  The music I listen to typically needs some thumping mid-bass and the mids add tone to the music.  Scoop them out too much and the music kinda loses it's personality, IMO.  I really don't know, these are my first and only set of "good" headphones.  

Now I know the Fiio E09K was a budget solid state amp when I got it.  I read it was enough to power the headphones, and it does work.  I just don't know if there is a better option that would help me the sound come more alive, or perhaps a better DAC in addition would help.  I've been eyeing the Schiit Bifrost off and on for a couple years now and never pulled the trigger.  Then I started thinking that maybe an amp and DAC together would help give some substance to the headphones.  Maybe something like a Bifrost 4490 and a Lyr 2 (or Valhalla 2).  I was leaning to Schiit amps because I was pretty set on the Bifrost and I like the matching style and footprint of their amps, that's not to say I wouldn't be open to other or better suggestions in the price range.  

So after that long winded post I guess I'm asking for opinions on where to take my setup from this point.  Should I stick with the DT990s and add an amp and/or DAC and maybe even an equilizer?  If so, any suggestions?  Or would I be better suited to try to find headphones that maybe have a signature that is more my style?  And if that's the case does anyone have suggestions?  I don't travel with the headphones, so they don't have to be closed and they don't have to be low impedance.  However, they do have to be full sized, over ear style and comfortable to wear.  I hate headphones that push against my ears.  I find the DT990 incredibly comfortable and if I were to get a new pair I wouldn't want to lose that comfort.  

E09K is very powerful. You can find amplifiers with different sound signature and you could like one of those more than the E09K.
That said, differences among amplifiers are relatively subtle. If you want a different sound then get different headphones.

If I were you I would aim to the new DT-1990

If you don't have a DAC, a DAC would be a nice addition. E17K should work with E09K's dock.
But focus on picking the right headphone first.

Oct 11, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #1,032 of 1,091

The E9 is a perfectly fine budget amp. I found it to drive most headphones just fine and is pretty powerful.
It managed to sound good with most of the headphones I tried it with.

I really would not suggest a new amp at all.

If you don't already have a DAC I would suggest one of those ASAP! If you already have a good one I wouldn't upgrade.

If the DAC doesn't improve things a little I would test out some new headphones.

For a DAC I would suggest the Schiit Modi or ODAC. The Modi is what I would suggest with the DT-990.
The E17 is also pretty ok.

A new amp might improve some things, but in most cases the sound changes are subtle.
Actually I found the differences going between my Asgard 1 and Headroom Micro to be huge, but I still wouldn't suggest a new amp.
Sometimes on the wrong amp it's possible for me to not like a headphone, but this is rare.

BTW I find the E9 a slightly warm amp so it should sound great with the DT-990. Neutral still of course, but not sounding like an O2 etc.
I really regret selling mine.

Oct 11, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #1,033 of 1,091

E09k should be very good with the DT990 250.  It's probably hard to improve on much around that price unless going in a different direction like tubes, which you may or may not like. For power, I'd question the E09k if you had the 600 ohms, but 250 is much easier to drive.  

If you're willing to EQ, add some DBs to the mids and see how you like it.  Even 1-2 db across the range can have a surprising change.  The recessed mids help create a sense of space, but that also means you don't have as good of an in your face effect.

Did I miss you saying what DAC you currently use?  Is the onboard of your motherboard being used for a DAC?  That would likely be alarm bells to me of what's mainly holding back a better sound.  (A different DAC still is unlikely to help the scooped mids "problem" though.)

Oct 11, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #1,034 of 1,091
E09k should be very good with the DT990 250.  It's probably hard to improve on much around that price unless going in a different direction like tubes, which you may or may not like. For power, I'd question the E09k if you had the 600 ohms, but 250 is much easier to drive.  

If you're willing to EQ, add some DBs to the mids and see how you like it.  Even 1-2 db across the range can have a surprising change.  The recessed mids help create a sense of space, but that also means you don't have as good of an in your face effect.

Did I miss you saying what DAC you currently use?  Is the onboard of your motherboard being used for a DAC?  That would likely be alarm bells to me of what's mainly holding back a better sound.  (A different DAC still is unlikely to help the scooped mids "problem" though.)

Thanks for the replies. I'm willing (and actually interested in) going to tubes. It doesn't need to be in the price range as the fiio. Say under $500. I am interested in the Lyr 2. I played around with EQ in iTunes and it did help a bit. I actually took away some DBs of the highs and it did help. I don't really have an independant DAC. For music I use on board motherboard sound from my PC, for gaming on the PS4 I use a Sound Bladter Recon3D USB sound card.

Oct 12, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #1,035 of 1,091
You could look at the HRT Microstreamer.  Probably get an amazing deal used.  You could also get a Bravo Audio Ocean, so you'd have both solid state and tube options.  both run the DT990s great, I have them all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back