DT990 Pro Impressions Thread
Feb 19, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #1,051 of 1,091
  Other neutral ss amp won't change the bass significantly (or at all).
I haven't compared E10K with Magni 2 side by side with DT990 but I've compared E10 with Magni using DT990, E10 had tiny bit more bass/warmth than Magni.

If you want a warmer signature than the E10K go for the Vali 2 instead.

Correct but the magni 2 will hopefully have more power which I hope can improve the headphones sonic capabilities further.

Correct me if am wrong here.

Feb 19, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #1,052 of 1,091

Correct but the magni 2 will hopefully have more power which I hope can improve the headphones sonic capabilities further.

More power means more volume available.
If you want more bass, picking a warmer amp like the Vali 2 is a wiser route to take.

Feb 19, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #1,053 of 1,091

Yes, but while the E10k isn't strong, it also isn't weak (relative to various other amps), so how much improvement is the question.  If that DT990 was the 600 ohm, then there's no question the E10k is weak for it.

At the worst, the Magni 2 is probably a cleaner sounding amp, so it should be an upgrade at least in that manner.  That's just a guess though without comparing them at the same time.

If you want more bass, I'd try EQ'ing it first instead of bass boost button.

Mar 24, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #1,054 of 1,091
I have a question about my DT990 Pros. I got them off eBay in a supposedly "like new" condition. However, after about 10-15 minutes of working completely fine the sound in the left speaker fades away. It doesn't just cut off or work intermittently - it's normal at first, and then in the space of maybe 20-30 seconds it slowly fades away and becomes completely silent. If the headphones are laid down to rest, the next time they work fine again. I've checked the cable and it is ok, not a problem with the source either. Is this a dying driver? I've never had such issues with my headphones.

Mar 25, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #1,056 of 1,091
  You're right, cutting off or intermittent is the usual failure mode, there's very little to go wrong, slow fade doesn't fit any headphone failure mode I know.

Do they do it in any source?

They did this with an iPhone 6 and a Xonar U3 USB-soundcard. I should probably mention that this is the 250Ohm version and the sources I've been using aren't all that powerful, although I didn't really feel the lack of volume or oomph with them - it seems DT990's are easier to drive than what their 250Ohm tag would suggest.

Could the problem be attributed to the not too powerful sources? Then why would only the left ear stop working though. I've also found out that "resting" the headphones is not needed - when the problem arises, I can simply plug them out and in again and they work normally right away.

Mar 27, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #1,057 of 1,091
Whats the upgrade path for DT990? I like them in general, but could use a bit more texture in bass, mids to go back to their place and then vocals along with instruments to stand out more(even trough it does a good job at it as is). Or maybe I should just keep them. :D I just feel like I could get more, but since the sound signature is soooo close. I also recently got Sennheiser Game one which is something like HD598, 558 and holy **** I was just wearing them and thought they were the 990's lol. But yeah that is the sound signature I seem to like Fun is what I would call it. :)

Mar 28, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #1,059 of 1,091
If you like the basic sound, then there's the dt1990.

Well, it's not exactly the kinda sound I want, but I guess if there is a headphone that is simply the same, but better... I wouldn't mind.

The sound that I want is a mystery to me, something fun and energetic. Bass that has some kick to it while being detailed and fast. Smooth mid range to highs. separating instruments well so you can hear every single one. I want instruments like Sax or violins to stand out a bit along with guitars and such. And vocals to be present in a natural form. There is also gaming that I do so if it can do directional audio well like the game one for example, so similar to the 990's, but I can pinpoint better with game one. Go figure what exactly makes a gaming headphone. :D

I will read up on 1990 looks good that is for sure. Thank You!

May 19, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #1,060 of 1,091
New owner.

I asked for a 32ohm but ended up with the 250ohm DT 990.

Plugged it into a $40 tube amp connected to Oppo HA-2's amp section connected to RME Babyface headphone-out and it sounded so crystal clear like sparkling water. Loved watching "John Wick". I own DT 1770, DT 880 but this one sounds a bit special. Very very airy.

Need advice:
I am presently mixing a small feature film on DT 1770 (can't use studio monitors at high volume in this open room at nights as the neighbours are complaining). Would any of you suggest using DT 990 for the final mastering job instead of DT 1770?

DT 990.jpg

May 19, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #1,063 of 1,091
Have you tried mixing with the dt1770? I'm curious how they'd turn out as well. I'm quite interested in the dt1990 myself actually and I see that they're marketed towards pro use but again, I do wonder how balanced they are for mixing purposes.

Seems like a nice combo ... dt1990 and dt1770.

May 23, 2017 at 5:20 AM Post #1,064 of 1,091
Have you tried mixing with the dt1770? I'm curious how they'd turn out as well. I'm quite interested in the dt1990 myself actually and I see that they're marketed towards pro use but again, I do wonder how balanced they are for mixing purposes.

Seems like a nice combo ... dt1990 and dt1770.

I did mix with DT 1770 for only 5 minutes of footage without complex tracks. Seemed okay. I can only know how good after redoing the same mix from scratch on studio monitors. Will keep you posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back