DT990 Pro Impressions Thread
Jul 24, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #991 of 1,091

The headphone changes very little, if not nothing at all.
You get used to the brighter presentation and that helps a bit.

That said, it's true that DT990 is bright for Hip Hop, you can try using a parametric equalizer to tame the treble.

I found that after extensive use the highs calmed down abit.
I have a DT990 pro with attleast 2500 hours on it.
Maybe its even because the pads are a bit worn down now.
Offcourse gettings used to it helps, took me some time to get used to a HD650 after so long with a DT990 to.

Jul 24, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #992 of 1,091

I found that after extensive use the highs calmed down abit.
I have a DT990 pro with attleast 2500 hours on it.
Maybe its even because the pads are a bit worn down now.
Offcourse gettings used to it helps, took me some time to get used to a HD650 after so long with a DT990 to.

That's for sure. Those two are polar opposites!
Which one do you prefer?

Jul 24, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #995 of 1,091
I found the DT990 just more "fun" than the HD650. The 650 is still my vote for, I guess, "best headphone" because it's one that will never do anything badly, but it's also not one that clicks with me as well as the DT990. 

Only issue the Beyer gives me is on very bassy rap tracks they can distort, but then I had the same issue with the DT770 so I guess it's a Beyer thing?

Jul 24, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #996 of 1,091
  I found the DT990 just more "fun" than the HD650. The 650 is still my vote for, I guess, "best headphone" because it's one that will never do anything badly, but it's also not one that clicks with me as well as the DT990. 

Only issue the Beyer gives me is on very bassy rap tracks they can distort, but then I had the same issue with the DT770 so I guess it's a Beyer thing?

Mine never distort.
Or you listen ALOT louder then me, your amp is underpowered or something is a miss with the driver or housing.

Jul 24, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #997 of 1,091

Mine never distort.
Or you listen ALOT louder then me, your amp is underpowered or something is a miss with the driver or housing.

Did some testing. The culprit was that I use a mic interface as the DAC and had that with its volume maxed and the amp volume at <50%. Put 'em both around 70% and all is well. Schiit Vali amp for the record.

I absolutely do listen to music loudly though. :p

Jul 25, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #999 of 1,091
Yea these are definitely fun to listen to, especially when it's the right kind of music. Now I get why people have like 20 pairs of headphones, each one has its own character!

I need to find one that really glorifies the bass without exaggerating it, as clear as these but enough low and mid to make the sound less like a laser and more like a ray of sunshine.

Jul 25, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #1,000 of 1,091
Yea these are definitely fun to listen to, especially when it's the right kind of music. Now I get why people have like 20 pairs of headphones, each one has its own character!

I need to find one that really glorifies the bass without exaggerating it, as clear as these but enough low and mid to make the sound less like a laser and more like a ray of sunshine.

I even got playlists tailored for headphones.
HD650, DT990, SR80E and Nighthawk got there own playlist, sadly i only found 1 track that sounded nice on the HD558.
Got a very cheap Philips thats for my reggae collection (proper pre bob marley reggae)

My DT990 list is linked a few posts back.

No idea what headphones has bass like a DT990 but with normal mids and highs.
In my collection the Nighthawk would come closest to that.

Jul 25, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #1,001 of 1,091

The T1.1 is sort of a more refined DT990. The bass is more extended/flatter and more textured, it's a bit north of neutral but less so than DT990.
Midrange is more present than DT990 and the treble is similarly sharp/lively but not as loud or sibilant.
Overall the T1.1 is vibrant and microdetailed as DT990 but it has a more neutral signature and more layered and frontal soundstage.

Jul 25, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #1,002 of 1,091
The T1.1 is sort of a more refined DT990. The bass is more extended/flatter and more textured, it's a bit north of neutral but less so than DT990.
Midrange is more present than DT990 and the treble is similarly sharp/lively but not as loud or sibilant.
Overall the T1.1 is vibrant and microdetailed as DT990 but it has a more neutral signature and more layered and frontal soundstage.

Nice, cause Nirvana Unplugged sounds like Cobain rose from the dead on these 990's, can't imagine on the T1

Jul 25, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #1,003 of 1,091

*** I'm just loving my DT990's don't go and tell me about the T1.1 I thought I cured my upgrade-itis. XD

EDIT: That said, I really don't feel like the DT990s are as bright as people say. The treble spike gives them a sharp edge, sure, but there's plenty of mids/bass as opposed to my old HD600s or Grados or whatever else. I'd almost describe them as warm with a spike for "detail".

Jul 25, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #1,004 of 1,091
  *** I'm just loving my DT990's don't go and tell me about the T1.1 I thought I cured my upgrade-itis. XD

EDIT: That said, I really don't feel like the DT990s are as bright as people say. The treble spike gives them a sharp edge, sure, but there's plenty of mids/bass as opposed to my old HD600s or Grados or whatever else. I'd almost describe them as warm with a spike for "detail".

Haha sorry!

Well I've also enjoyed my DT990 Pro very much when I had them. I'll probably get a new pair soon because my gf wants them.
The good thing to say in order to help you with your upgrade-itis is that there's no real "whole new level" over DT990.
Higher end headphones can be more refined here or there but that's all you'll get, and diminishing returns strike really hard by the way.
So, from a price/enjoyment point of view DT880/DT990 represent the sweet spot in my opinon.

Jul 26, 2016 at 12:23 AM Post #1,005 of 1,091

The good thing to say in order to help you with your upgrade-itis is that there's no real "whole new level" over DT990.
Higher end headphones can be more refined here or there but that's all you'll get, and diminishing returns strike really hard by the way.
So, from a price/enjoyment point of view DT880/DT990 represent the sweet spot in my opinon

While the DT 990 is a great headphone for the money, I was able to directly compare them with the T 90, and the T 90 was a significantly better headphone in every way.

And I actually preferred the T90 over the T1 2nd Gen.

While the DT 990 may be the sweet spot for a $200-$300 headphone, if you have the extra cash, spending a little more for the T 90 (it's currently under $500 on Amazon.com), will get you a noticeably better headphone that will give you years of enjoyment and give most over-$1000 headphones a serious run for their money.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back