DT990 and Beyer Comfort
Oct 3, 2006 at 9:04 PM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT
Might not be the best position for optimal sound

http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-on...tipstricks.htm

Oh damn! That does sound better! Every other position sounds the same but that sweetspot.
eek.gif

But that position is slightly uncomfortable... forward and down. I'll learn to get over it.
frown.gif

Oct 4, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #19 of 33
So I got home from work, threw on my cans and checked that wearing guide. WHAT A DIFFERENCE, I was totally waring the cans too far up. I am wearing them as demonstrated on the website linked and it makes WORLDS of difference. First off I had the driver holding T aluminum things too far up, letting down a bunch of slack and centering my ears in the giant pillows really helped, ah audio bliss! the soundstage and audio quality also jumped a bunch.

thanks head-fi!!

smily_headphones1.gif

-emerson
dt990 lover

Oct 4, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #20 of 33
Just received mine.
Out of the box they are the most comfortable headphones I have ever had.
Just adjusted headband so driver positioned as Dr. Meier's instruction suggests and vuala.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feels like I can wear them 24/7.

Oct 4, 2006 at 3:02 AM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by nichifanlema
Well sometimes my neck can get a little stiff due to the extra weight

i guess you've never tried on a pair of alessandros ms2

Oct 4, 2006 at 6:03 AM Post #23 of 33
this post got funny! I can only imagine half you guys with IEMS!

"oh...you mean I can change the tips??"
blink.gif

biggrin.gif
just messin

And yea, I really love how comfortable my 990s are. I can and have worn them all day with no fatigue. They weigh practically nothing for their size and are very, very soft! I've fallen asleep with them on and woken up in the morning with them still on an playing, thats a rarity for me regardless of the can!

Oct 16, 2006 at 6:57 PM Post #24 of 33
Great, a current thread on a question I had. How are the DT990's for someone with a big head? I've got a big head, and it drives me to the point of insanity that a high end can producer wouldn't make phones with adjustable bands that stretch out far, like the way Grado does.

My gripe is the K701. The sound is great: initially the comfort was terrible, now it is tolerable. But for a pair of phones that MSRP's for 500 bucks, I'd expect these bad boys to fit my skull correctly. So I am still enjoying the K701's, but am researching other possibilities for a more comfortable "reference" headphone that I can drive with my Headfive. I've heard the dt990's are comfortable phones, but here are two specific questions:

1) Are the DT990's truly adjustable, or is their position fixed? I can't tell by looking at the pictures, and even the PDF manual on the beyer website is kind of vague as to the mechanism.

and as such:

2) Regardless of the fitting mechanism on them, are the dt990's a good choice for the bigheaded?
eggosmile.gif

Thanks for your responses!

Oct 16, 2006 at 10:15 PM Post #26 of 33
If the new ones are anything like my new DT 770s, then I'd say they are alright for a big head. The ear cups are a little bigger than the old version, and the headphones don't fit me very tight, so that could be a little more comfy for a big head. Other than that, I'd say the adjustable band goes out pretty far.

If you buy em and don't like, I'm sure it wouldn't take long to pass them on to another head-fier
wink.gif
(not me lol)

Oct 16, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #27 of 33
I got a very big head - 6 notches down on each side of the beyers!
They are still ultra comfy so dont worry about that.

One thing i really noticed when i got my 990 after having had my 880s for like 4 months (of daily use) - was that the 990s were WAY tighther than my well used 880s. Also the pads were much stiffer. (note! the 880 and 990 are identical in mechanical construction).

This means that during use both the headband and the pads will soften up quite a bit (you can actually see that the pads are much flatter after some months use).

IMO the beyers are far more comfy than any senn or AKG phone I have tried.

Oct 17, 2006 at 1:12 AM Post #28 of 33
Thank you both for your responses! The DT990 now shoots to the top of my wishlist. They look damn comfortable, thats for sure:

0020110990_1699.jpg

Image borrowed from the good folks at Headroom

But man, do these K701's sound absolutely sublime! Why couldn't AKG have just put in notches like other headphone makers? Grrrr... well, they'll do for now.

Nov 1, 2006 at 9:07 PM Post #29 of 33
I have the DT880. Please don't stone me.
eggosmile.gif

Has anyone had the problem with "scalp burn?" My giant head is suffering from the top of the headband pushing down.

I've tried positioning the band back, middle and front. Front seems to be the most comfortable, but there is still itchy pressure.

Is it wise to bend/re-shape the top bar? Any way to take some of the foam out of the band? Anything...

I've searched and found no relief for the big-headed.

Nov 1, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #30 of 33
Find a medicine man/voodo dr to shrink your head ?
3000smile.gif

i dunno what to tell you, sorry man! good luck.

-E

Quote:

Originally Posted by mchang
I have the DT880. Please don't stone me.
eggosmile.gif

Has anyone had the problem with "scalp burn?" My giant head is suffering from the top of the headband pushing down.

I've tried positioning the band back, middle and front. Front seems to be the most comfortable, but there is still itchy pressure.

Is it wise to bend/re-shape the top bar? Any way to take some of the foam out of the band? Anything...

I've searched and found no relief for the big-headed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back