DT990 and Beyer Comfort
Oct 3, 2006 at 2:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Baalzamon

100+ Head-Fier
Simple question really.

How comfortable do you find your DT990 or any beyer really, including the DT770/80 pro? I've worn both these headphones and for some reason, I have a very hard time finding the sweet spot to wearability.

At first, I thought when I wore the DT770/80pro it was because of the higher clamping force, but once I got my DT990's they were simliar. I have to also mention that I have fairly large ears and when I wear them I try to encompas my entire ear inside soft plus exterior. Is this how most people wear them? Do you try to centralize your ear in the cup or do you ride the rim? Does the headphone rest on your jaw or do you have the headphone fairly far up your head that some part ofyour ear ( perhaps the bottom earlop ) sticks out the bottom. I'd really like to know, because sonically I love these headphones and it takes me a while to put them on, which is strange. Maybe I just have weird ears.

With my old Sony MDR-V6's I had less of a problem because they just squished my ears down, didnt envelope them. Any suggestions? Perhaps the leather pads?

One last thing I noticed, depending on how much of the driver T holders you extend, it tends to grip differentparts of your skull, which I think is the real issue im having. Idealy I'd have a less law/bottom part of my ear gripped, but I dont know. Any suggestions or feedback as to how all here wear them would be great, thanks!

-Emerson
DT990 Lover

Oct 3, 2006 at 2:40 PM Post #2 of 33
I try to make it as low as possible without touching the top of me ear
The lower it is, the better bass response (forgot where i read this, try it though)
As for the clamp, it will loosen up in a couple of days

Oct 3, 2006 at 2:54 PM Post #3 of 33
I wear mine riding the rim front, i put them on in the middle then push back. That's what I find most comfortable, doesn't seem to affect the sound for me.

Oct 3, 2006 at 3:53 PM Post #4 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Esidarap
I wear mine riding the rim front, i put them on in the middle then push back. That's what I find most comfortable, doesn't seem to affect the sound for me.

Might not be the best position for optimal sound

http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-on...tipstricks.htm

Oct 3, 2006 at 4:00 PM Post #5 of 33
I have it on my head for hours, and it doesn't hurt my ears at all. Well sometimes my neck can get a little stiff due to the extra weight, or my head can get a little pressure from wearing it for a long time,

but I find my dt990 really REALLY comfortable!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Oct 3, 2006 at 4:00 PM Post #6 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baalzamon
Simple question really.
How comfortable do you find your DT990 or any beyer really, including the DT770/80 pro? I've worn both these headphones and for some reason, I have a very hard time finding the sweet spot to wearability.
-Emerson
DT990 Lover

i find these to be some of the most comfortable full sized cans around, generally surpassing grado (duh!), sennheiser, and akg. this is one of their best features (and the sound is none too shabby either!
smily_headphones1.gif
(where's that bd smiley?)).

Oct 3, 2006 at 4:41 PM Post #7 of 33
I dunno, maybe my head is a weird shape. Its like the weight or pressure of the headphone isnt being distributed evenly so I get a weird clamping/pressure. Maybe it will ease up with time ( I've had these for a week or two. ) Will see !
smily_headphones1.gif
Keep the tips coming, all are great so far!

Oct 3, 2006 at 5:38 PM Post #8 of 33
I remember when I just had my 990 Pro the clamp was on the high side which I liked, but it got less somehow (maybe I got used to it, or the superior design takes the shape of your head
biggrin.gif
).

I wear the headphone like it's showed on the Meier Audio site, you can notice a slight improvement in sound that way.

Oct 3, 2006 at 5:54 PM Post #9 of 33
fwiw, My 2005 DT 770s seem really loose compared to my friend's old DT 770s. If I try to headbang at all they slide all over the place on my head. Also the ear cups seem bigger so that might help if you have big or odd-shaped ears.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 3, 2006 at 6:01 PM Post #10 of 33
Oct 3, 2006 at 6:13 PM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baalzamon
I dunno, maybe my head is a weird shape. Its like the weight or pressure of the headphone isnt being distributed evenly so I get a weird clamping/pressure. Maybe it will ease up with time ( I've had these for a week or two. ) Will see !
smily_headphones1.gif
Keep the tips coming, all are great so far!

If the discomfort is from clamping pressure, you can try leaving your headphones stretched out over some books or something similar for a day or two. This helped with my HD650 and K701 after I initially experienced headaches wearing them.

Oct 3, 2006 at 6:19 PM Post #12 of 33
This is a great suggestion, I think ill try that!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
If the discomfort is from clamping pressure, you can try leaving your headphones stretched out over some books or something similar for a day or two. This helped with my HD650 and K701 after I initially experienced headaches wearing them.

Oct 3, 2006 at 8:28 PM Post #14 of 33
I had the DT990 Pros and they werent that comfortable. It always felt like it was pressing down on one point on the top of my cranium. I just had to move the band frequently to relieve the pressure, but now that I have the 05 DT990's , that problem no longer exists. Sometimes I don't even realize they are resting on my head. Just my $.02

Oct 3, 2006 at 8:57 PM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gubretti
ISometimes I don't even realize they are resting on my head.

x2
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back