DT880: REAL difference between 250 and 600 ohms?
May 30, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #61 of 85
before i made up my mind on beyer,
i tried both of them from the same amplifier(crossroad Edge) seemed to be underpowered to drive them ..
plugged the 600ohm turned to volume to the max it appeared to be a distant whisper, then switched it to high gain and it's better, a closed whisper
the 250ohm, need no high gain, just turned it to 1 o'clock and it made me smile.

i ended up buying the 250ohm version.

now i'm a lil bit regret!!

May 30, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #62 of 85
Really? My 250Ohm/600Ohm are nearly the same volume when set at 2 o'clock on my Fisher amp. They are even the same when my Zune it set at any volume above 9.

May 30, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #63 of 85
I would really like to see some one compare the 250ohm with a 350ohm adapter and see if it sounds just like the 600ohm. If the drivers are the same and the only true difference is the electrical resistance then it is the resistance itself that causes the difference in sound and therefore it should not matter if that resistance was stock or not.
wink_face.gif

May 30, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #64 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeroibis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would really like to see some one compare the 250ohm with a 350ohm adapter and see if it sounds just like the 600ohm. If the drivers are the same and the only true difference is the electrical resistance then it is the resistance itself that causes the difference in sound and therefore it should not matter if that resistance was stock or not.
wink_face.gif

Actually the 600Ohm DT880's voice coils are completely different and are lighter. So the headphone's are quicker since there is less mass to be pushed. This makes them more detailed and they are able to do bigger passages easier.

The 250Ohm DT880's coils are about twice the weight and are in fact slower as there is more mass to be pushed. This smears the sound.

May 30, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #65 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually it should be more then enough to drive them too good volumes, but a dedicated hp amp would make them shine. The 250ohm/600ohm volume levels are very similar on my Zune at any set volume. So you should be set.

Not sure how it works in your case, with Zune paired with Pico I had to max out Pico in high gain to get a decent volume out of 600Ohm Manufaktur DT880, and still I felt it didn't do them proper justice as they sounded a bit thin.
On GS-1 in low gain 250 and 600Ohm DT880 are 3 o'clock apart.

May 30, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #66 of 85
It's weird how volume varies. I know with the FiioE5, I had to max it out, but with the LDMK1+ It's half of the way up on 4x gain. So odd...

May 30, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #67 of 85
For reference is the coil difference between the 250ohm and 600ohm DT880 the same as with the DT990 as well then?

I would expect that with the FiioE5 it would need to be turned up more because it is not as powerful as the LDMKI+ even though the LDMKI+ is less powerful than the LDMKI I still consider it to be a very powerful portable amp that really can drive even high independence cans.

May 30, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #69 of 85
Hey, just to throw in another bit of info. Just got my 600-ohm DT880's from Moon Audio...nothing fancy, just the "Audiophile" version of the standard DT880. I just measured DC resistance for each driver and got an exact match repeatedly - 602 left 602 right.

Just wanted to add that to the discussion!

Jun 6, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #71 of 85
All of this information between the differences in the 250 ohm and 600 ohm impedance models is quite interesting. Maybe if I ever get an amp, I'll consider getting higher impedance headphones.

Jun 20, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #72 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by indydieselnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, just to throw in another bit of info. Just got my 600-ohm DT880's from Moon Audio...nothing fancy, just the "Audiophile" version of the standard DT880. I just measured DC resistance for each driver and got an exact match repeatedly - 602 left 602 right.

Just wanted to add that to the discussion!

Thanks for sharing.

Dec 12, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #74 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually the 600Ohm DT880's voice coils are completely different and are lighter. So the headphone's are quicker since there is less mass to be pushed. This makes them more detailed and they are able to do bigger passages easier.

The 250Ohm DT880's coils are about twice the weight and are in fact slower as there is more mass to be pushed. This smears the sound.

I've seen this type of logic tossed around, and has even been mentioned by Beyer themselves. Here's a quote from Peter Grooff:

"I expect the 32Ω version to sound less transparent as the 600Ω version. Headphone systems with lower impedances usually have a slightly heavier diaphragm + coil causing it to react slower to impulses…systems with higher impedances do the opposite."

If this were truly the case, the MDR-SA5000 (widely regarded as "fast") would be slow, and the HD650 (widely regarded as "slow") would be fast. In fact, all manner of low impedance headphones such as high end Audio-technicas, high end Sony's, and high end Grado's which we typically associate with high clarity, transparency and speed would be "slower to react" and slurred together. Not so. I think this whole "slow" and "fast" thing is overrated, and hugely misunderstood and I'm convinced that it has a lot more to do with frequency response than anything else. Tone down the midbass, thin out the midrange a tad, and boost the lower / mid treble and you have some excellent clarity and "speed".

I wonder how much of the 600ohm impedance improvements have to do with the fact that we have special edition, more expensive headphones on our heads. I can almost guarantee that an electrical engineer who doesn't sell headphones would be laughing at this thread - as nobody seems to fully grasp what simple science should be able to tell us.

Dec 12, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #75 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Catharsis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've seen this type of logic tossed around, and has even been mentioned by Beyer themselves. Here's a quote from Peter Grooff:

"I expect the 32Ω version to sound less transparent as the 600Ω version. Headphone systems with lower impedances usually have a slightly heavier diaphragm + coil causing it to react slower to impulses…systems with higher impedances do the opposite."

If this were truly the case, the MDR-SA5000 (widely regarded as "fast") would be slow, and the HD650 (widely regarded as "slow") would be fast. In fact, all manner of low impedance headphones such as high end Audio-technicas, high end Sony's, and high end Grado's which we typically associate with high clarity, transparency and speed would be "slower to react" and slurred together. Not so. I think this whole "slow" and "fast" thing is overrated, and hugely misunderstood and I'm convinced that it has a lot more to do with frequency response than anything else. Tone down the midbass, thin out the midrange a tad, and boost the lower / mid treble and you have some excellent clarity and "speed".

I wonder how much of the 600ohm impedance improvements have to do with the fact that we have special edition, more expensive headphones on our heads. I can almost guarantee that an electrical engineer who doesn't sell headphones would be laughing at this thread - as nobody seems to fully grasp what simple science should be able to tell us.

But to be fair, he did say usually..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back