dt880 pro appreciation thread
Aug 25, 2009 at 4:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

music_man

Headphoneus Supremus
i think this is long over due. i searched but did not find a thread with this title. i really wonder why? these are way beyond underrated and they have been out for years. they are like a closet secret or something.

i went and compared them in another thread to the ps1000 and that did not really impress anyone. for obvious reasons. i still maintain they bring a lot to the table.

i wanted a inexpensive pair of cans that i wouldn't worry if my pets destroyed them. the cheapest thing i could find that was known to be decent was the dt880 pro. then i find out they are so sturdy the pets are going to have their tails between their legs lol. they are like a tank.

boy was i surpirsed! for a little over $300 bucks these things are top tier headphones. at least to me.

according to headroom they are perhaps the best period. in a very old post here someone states for dynamics they are second only to the r10!

now i know there better headphones but given the price to performance ratio i'd put these at the top of the heap.

in fact the soundstage and resolution is among the best that there is, period(i think). these are truely "pro". i have heard things on cd's that were not even resolved with the he90 or o2! before i never even knew the cd's contained this material.

for a "beater" pair these really paid off. i will not be missing my shelved collection. i was going to get another k701 but i am really glad i went with these. i would have considered another hd650 if they were this price but they are not and honestly i like these a whole lot better.

please, in this thread let's not discuss that there better headphones. lets just discuss why we like the dt880 pro.

the only thing i don't like is i got the one with the coiled cord. that is going to be fixed right after i post this though. i am just going with a mogami since i don't want seperate entry.

i hope i find all the people that enjoy these as much as i do. hopefully also people that have heard lots of other phones that are much more money.

happy listening,
music_man

Aug 25, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #3 of 42
well what i meant was they 'impressed' me with how true to the source they are. also, that they reveal more information from the source than many other headphones. they really are deserving of the moniker "pro" imo.

why just movies and gaming? they reveal information on certain cd's that i have not heard with any phones at any price. they certainly have their place. if for nothing else studio use! go figure.

music_man

Aug 26, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #4 of 42
well, i guess i am alone on this. i find these headphones simply amazing.
you all know the phones i have and these are as good as any to me. they seem to do everything right and nothing offensive. all my other high end phones just don't please me the way these do. to think i bought these as "beaters". i would have never known. of course to each their own but to me these are it.

i decided not to even recable them. it might change the sound not to my liking.

music_man

Aug 26, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #5 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well what i meant was they 'impressed' me with how true to the source they are. also, that they reveal more information from the source than many other headphones. they really are deserving of the moniker "pro" imo.

why just movies and gaming? they reveal information on certain cd's that i have not heard with any phones at any price. they certainly have their place. if for nothing else studio use! go figure.

music_man

They have great smoothness with sweet treble.. & probably my favorite bass I heard SE, but they don't do it for me with music.. I find them uninvolving & lacking is 'musicality', which is odd cause the DT48 is more so.. The pot callinng the kettle black I know. But the DT48 does more things right IMO.. At least with the 250 ohm version..

Aug 26, 2009 at 6:52 AM Post #6 of 42
I owned the DT880 Pro prior to purchasing the Grado GS1000. I had the RS2 in house in that time as well. One day I had impression that the RS2 just did better, closer to the music, so the decision about parting with the DT880 Pro was obvious. In addition, they weren't so quick and resolving as the GS1000's. Good monitoring cans with very realistic ans sweet sound but not the fastest. However I rate them higher than the HD600/HD650 sibling duet.

Aug 26, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #7 of 42
call me crazy but i think they are much better than the gs1000. i am even thinking of getting rid of the gs1000(before they break like everyone elses pair). the gs1000 and ps1000 just don't do it for me. neither does the hd800. the only cans i think are better than the dt880 pro right now are the k1000 and the o2. i will even go so far as to say i like the dt880 better than the he90,010 and r10.

before you say i am nuts please realise where i am coming from. i am a recording engineer. i am trained to value accuracy and resolution above all else. that is all i have ever known. "musical" and entertaining headphones just don't impress me. i want as much detail and extraction from the source as possible. in that respect i am amazed by the dt880 pro. i can hear nuances i have heard with no other headphones. to most audiophiles i guess these would be considered rather boring or even fatiguing. they draw you in and make you listen for the details.

i will agree they don't get your toes tapping or anything. as an analytical tool they live up to the word "pro" imo. in fact better than any other headphone i have owned or heard.

i am powering them with a solid state amp in fact. tubes would add flavor i do not want. i think they are very precise and exacting. the cd player,dac and amp i am using cost about 50 times what the headphones do. i think they are deserving of it.

people have said they have recessed midrange or harsh highs or exagerated bass. i hear none of that. to me they are simply resolving of the source material. therefore i have finally, and accidently found the precision i have always wanted from a headphone.

now, some might say music_man is nuts and we can't trust anything he says anymore
smily_headphones1.gif
well, they are 'my' ears and i should feed them what pleases me.
i see where these would not impress many people. from an engineering and measurement standpoint they fit the bill to a 't' imho.

i have had the k240s,k701,dt770 and other studio phones. none of those even come close to these in their resolution. that is just my opinion. i know many will disagree.

however, let me repeat. headroom did say they are possibly the best their is, and someone here a long time ago said they were second to him only to the r10. i don't know where those people are now. please, speak up and be heard. i don't like being alone on this.

i may go get a dt48e tomorrow if those take it to an even higher level. unless those are in a totally different direction. ie. flavored like most consumer headphones.

music_man

Aug 26, 2009 at 7:57 AM Post #9 of 42
i have not heard the 990. in beyers current line up the 990 is below the 880 i think.

the 48e is more money than the 880. i am not sure about it though. it was not designed for music. i don't doubt kool bubba ice thinks it is the best. to me it may add something i don't want. the 880 pro was designed for critical analyzation of music sources. to that effect it does the job tremendously well. in fact better than any other headphone i have heard before.

i can see why many people here would not think they are so great. they tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth imo. many people do not care to know the truth about their sources! i think most people here desire a musical phone with a flavor to some degree or other. many times people ask here for a completely neutral phone and don't realise that is not what they really want. sounds good on paper but to most people they would not be pleased by the sound.

i am not saying they are completely neutral from 20-20 but they are the closest i have heard. i havent even looked at a graph but my ears tell me they were what i have been looking for all along.

i am honestly not going to sell my collection because i am not into loosing money. however, these have shelved everything. originally because i have pets that could destroy headphones and then it just so happens that i fell in love with these. in fact i haven't listened to my loudspeakers for 3 days! i feel they are actually more resolving and have bigger soundstage/headstage than very high end speakers! amazing.

music_man

Aug 26, 2009 at 9:01 AM Post #10 of 42
I often recommend the DT880 Pro to people and they are always satisfied. I agree on their resolving capabilities. I chose them two years ago over the DT880 Edition 2005 as their soundstage and source positioning was more accurate and closer to my liking. Actually I sold them also due to ever so slightly high clamping force. I look forward to hearing the Beyerdynamic T1. The Beyerdynamic headphones are sturdy, sane looking and fairly priced. If this time the price is as just as always, I should be happy as the HD800 haven't caused my jaw drop and the PS1000 frighten me with their issues. I still keep the GS1000 and they amaze me from time to time, still scaling with the headphone gear improvements.

Aug 26, 2009 at 9:04 AM Post #12 of 42
THANKS FOR THE REVIEWS GUYS, I AM IN THE PROCESS OF BUYING A SET MYSELF, WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE PREMIUM MODELS, ONE AT 32 OHMS, THE OTHER AT 600? AND ARE THE NEW MODELS ANY BETTER THAN THE OLD, IT SEEMS HEADROOM THINKS THE NEW MODELS HAVE A BETTER DEEP END?

Aug 26, 2009 at 9:56 AM Post #13 of 42
majkel, to be honest i couldn't stand the clamping force. i bent the heck out of them. now there is like 8 inches between the ear cups when they are off my head lol. they touched eachother when they were new. i think this also made the soundstage bigger since when i push on them it gets smaller.

i would recable them but i cannot find a plug that fits the rectangle hole. i don't want the wires just dangling out of the hole. i am not looking to improve the sound, just get a straight cord.

auradud3, caps much? i'd forget the 32 ohm version probably sounds weird? many people prefer the 600ohm version. you will need a very robust amp to drive those properly. i felt the 250 ohm version sounded most natural.

i am actually surprising myself that i like these better than the gs1000. the gs1000 certainly sound 'nicer' but the dt880 are more true to the source. depends on what you want. i too am not keen on the ps1000 or hd800 anymore. the ps1000 due to the issues which the gs1000 also had, but at $1,700 that is uncalled for. the hd800 is not comfortable to me. the stretched dt880 are like a feather on my head. i use headphones lying down and the hd800 would push against the pillow causing pressure like the qualia and sa5000 do. so i am also very intrested in the t1. even though in another thread i was concerned about the magnetism. other members put those concerns to rest i guess. i hope they take the dt880 much further and not in a completely different direction. who knows, the dt990,dt770 and dt880 are all very different so the t1 is anyones guess. i am sure of course it will be the latest and greatest over $1,000 headphone. every new introduction always is. the hd800 and ps1000 becoming available at the same time sort of complicated which was best. if one came after the other than i am sure the first would have been the best to be replaced by the second holding the top pedestal.

music_man

Aug 26, 2009 at 11:56 AM Post #14 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i would recable them but i cannot find a plug that fits the rectangle hole. i don't want the wires just dangling out of the hole. i am not looking to improve the sound, just get a straight cord.
music_man

music_man, I may only be showing my ignorance, and if so it won't be the first time. Beyer sells a very good quality replacement straight cord that fits the rectangular six-pin jack on the DT480, DT100, and the DT150. Is there no similar jack on the DT880?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back