DT880 250 ohm 05 for $208!
Nov 8, 2010 at 11:45 AM Post #47 of 72

Quote:
Well great, now my posts are considered attacks and trolling, without any reasons or examples provided.

I'll leave the hallucinogenics in peace, but first I have to clear up some stupidity. I'll ignore the call of trolling, I'll ignore the obviously defensive response, but to spread misinformation and, after a certain point, stupidity (aka trolling) to newer members who may see this thread and use it as a decision maker is just wrong. 

So many on hype-fi selectively read and warp whatever suits them, and when it is pointed out, it is called something offensive, as if your beliefs are a part of you.

Selective absorption: 
Again, for their flagship T1s, there is a reason that beyerdynamic picked a 600 ohm driver. 
"The increased efficiency also leaves the T 1 with greater power reserves for dynamic, undistorted sound and nearly lossless conversion of electric signals into sound waves. The extremely lightweight 600 Ohm voice coil provides transparency and perfect impulse fidelity."

An unclouded person could identify all similarities and differences when comparing something, then make a logical conclusion about the subject. In this example, it is assumed that because the flagship model uses a 600 ohm coil described as lightweight, that because it is juxtaposed into a lesser model, it still retains the same characteristics. You have not considered two vital characteristics of the statement and the headphone.

Coming from a headphone manufacturer's site, one could assume that they want to portray their products in the best possible light. Remove the words 600 ohm from the statement. What does it sound like now? An advertisement. What is '600 ohm' in the context of that statement? An adjective, not a noun. This combination provides zero information and draws attention from the actual reason that it is 600 ohms.

What is the difference between the T1 and DT880? What is the gigantic selling point that beyer shoves into our faces over and over again? 1.2 tesla. If an amp can drive 300 ohm headphones with moderate efficiency levels at 9 of the clock which is far too high, then one could assume that the same amp driving a 300 ohm headphone with an industry leading power conversion would blow your ears. Why are headphones 600 ohms in the first place? Beyerdynamic is a great microphone manufacturer, my recording artist friends use them (I have nothing to compare it to actually). Older, more powerful equipment in studios used 600 ohm headphones. K272 and whatever that really popular studio headphone was both come in 600 ohm versions.

Now we come to the headroom graph. I'll spare any talk of measurement errors as I tend to trust the graph far more than many other sources of information. Looking at the differences, one would ask oneself what is the source of the difference. Of course, many 'respected' hype-fiers will jump to the conclusion that it is because of the change in impedance. Such a difference is so small that two 'confirmed to be the same' headphones (some sony ones, check the thread) had a larger variation than the two beyers. This leads to the last plausible conclusion: product variance. In a field where measurements are so difficult to take accurately, there's a large possibility that the differences can be attributed to factory differences. This all is assuming that headroom's method of measurement is reliable (which we will accept).

The last thing that cemented my belief is the word of a headphone store owner I trust far more than the entire of hype-fi put together. His brutally honest personality allows him to give far less biased statements than any audiophile I have seen. His forum is evidence. He said to me simply, 'they are the same', and that was enough for me.

To finish off, I will state that I have supplied reasons and examples for my arguments. I have received in return, half written sentences and phrases, excessive abbreviations and smilies, forgiving my first point.
I will get out before the mushrooms wear off, with one phrase that you are free to interpret in any way you like, possibly even, the way I meant to portray it but can't due to an inability to offer one of my digits on the internet.

Nice.

Have you performed A/B tests on both with volume matching SPL?

I have and as I noted there was a difference (along with many other Head-fiers: Zombie X, Skylab, leeperry, ,shane 55, chinesekiwi). That is my experience (and the first hand experience of others). Please qualify yours....this is my second request.

BTW...have a read:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/506963/dt880-600ohm-bs/135
Post #144....this is why I recommend the 600 ohms..I find the treble to sizzly / metallic on the 250s.
biggrin.gif
Donald measured a whopping 5dB difference in the treble region (also confirmed on the Headroom graph). But my question to you was not was A better than B, but rather your personal real life experience. Conjecture is not helpful.

So far, I'm hearing...no I don't have any first hand experience with them, I'm just musing.
confused.gif

Now you're bringing up the T1s...have you heard those?

Finally, I'm taking my own personal experiences over any "guy who owns a hifi shop".

Nov 8, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #48 of 72
Nov 8, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #49 of 72

Quote:
No... The price jumped =/ I would wait a little for it to go back down. Amazon prices can have huge fluctuations. If you catch it on a good time its often cheaper than the cheapest sale. 

A little patience with Black Friday just around the corner. Headphonesolutions and a few others usually have some great deals as well.

Nov 8, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #50 of 72
I have a DT990 (250ohm) and I compared it with my friends DT990(600ohm).

There was an obvious difference between the two.

If I visualized the sound as a piece of drawing. The 250ohm are drawn with thicker pens while the 600ohm are much thinner and much more lighter weighted.  The bass response are actually much quicker compare to the 250ohms.

He just got his DT880 (600ohm), I am going over to his house and compare with my DT880 (250ohm) soon.

All I can say for now is ....for DT990, go for the 600ohm.

Nov 8, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #51 of 72

Quote:
I have a DT990 (250ohm) and I compared it with my friends DT990(600ohm).

There was an obvious difference between the two.

If I visualized the sound as a piece of drawing. The 250ohm are drawn with thicker pens while the 600ohm are much thinner and much more lighter weighted.  The bass response are actually much quicker compare to the 250ohms.

He just got his DT880 (600ohm), I am going over to his house and compare with my DT880 (250ohm) soon.

All I can say for now is ....for DT990, go for the 600ohm.

I have no idea bout the DT990s. I just know that I did a whole lot of research before buying my DT880s so I know a little bit more about those. That may be true! I have no idea. 

If i remember correctly though, the DT770s have a pretty significant difference and I think that the DT770s share similar drivers to the DT990s so its possible :p 

Nov 9, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #52 of 72

Quote:

Please report back. 
smile_phones.gif
  I also have DT880/250's, and I've resigned myself to having to get a 600 ohm pair just to compare myself.  But maybe I can use your ears to tell me what (if any) the differences are.  I'll even tell you what I'd look for:  a little bit more bite and impact from the bass.  Not more, just ... tighter.  For me, no changes to the treble or mids are necessary.  I like the 250's in that regard just fine. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 9, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #53 of 72
Hey all- Is $250 shipped for brand new DT880/600's a good deal?  Seems like it, but I don't know enough to 100% know ...

Thanks !!

Nov 9, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #54 of 72
I picked up one of the warehouse pairs for $175 hopefully they're in ok condition amazon are generally pretty good about that sort of thing just
gotta wait for my friend to post them to me now, either way I'm making a reasonable saving given that it'd be hard to find a pair of
them here for under $380!!

even secondhand the cheapest i can get them in Ireland is $340, you guys get all the best deals in the states, the fact that its cheaper for
me to buy an EU brand in America and ship it back here makes me sad :p

but yea whatever grab em while they're cheap! i can't wait
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 9, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #56 of 72

Quote:
That's a very good price IMO.

B&H?

Amazon.  Put them in your cart, then you can see the price.  Was higher last week. 
smile_phones.gif

I just lost out on the used pair on eBay, so I just pulled the trigger on a pair from Amazon.  Too curious to compare the 250 ohm vs 600 ohm models myself to pass this up.

I know all the theory why the 250 ohm should sound identical to the 600 ohm.  But I'm betting they do not sound the same.  I just compared the Sony V6 to the 7506, and they sounded more different than I could possibly imagine !!  Same parts, but they are wired differently.  Different example, I know, but I'm still betting that the Beyer's sound different too.

Nov 9, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #57 of 72

Quote:
Amazon.  Put them in your cart, then you can see the price.  Was higher last week. 
smile_phones.gif

I just lost out on the used pair on eBay, so I just pulled the trigger on a pair from Amazon.  Too curious to compare the 250 ohm vs 600 ohm models myself to pass this up.

I know all the theory why the 250 ohm should sound identical to the 600 ohm.  But I'm betting they do not sound the same.  I just compared the Sony V6 to the 7506, and they sounded more different than I could possibly imagine !!  Same parts, but they are wired differently.  Different example, I know, but I'm still betting that the Beyer's sound different too.

Haha as long as you think they do sound better they will probably sound better! Thats why people's words are so hard to take into account when it comes to headphones and what not. It is possible that a 600 ohm one will match your system better though. 

Nov 9, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #58 of 72

Quote:
smile_phones.gif

I know B&H is also selling them for $249 shipped. They are a very reputable dealer/retailer in NYC. I've bought my ER-4P, DT770/600s and HD800s there in the past and received nothing but stellar customer service. They are also an authorized beyer dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back