DT880 250 ohm 05 for $208!
Nov 3, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #5 of 72
A lot of the other models are cheaper also. The 250 is the standard Beyer line i believe so they're always cheaper than the 32 and 600. The deals on the 32 and 600 are far less than the deal on the 250 right now! 

I got them for 220 on Amazon when they were cheap already. And that was a great deal. For 208 its a steal. 

Quote:
Weird, it's only that version and not the others. Another typo? xD

Nov 4, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #6 of 72
RRP doesn't mean much. They were $220 for a long time, now they are $210. It's not a lot off, but since the 600 and 250 sound the same, you're getting hype and sound for only $210 new. There is zero evidence to show that the 600 sounds better than the 250. If you are using your amp at 9 oclock instead of something like 12 oclock, then your amp was made with too high of a gain and you can pay another $50 for phones that suit it.

Quote:
They're over $300 on the Beyerdynamic site:
http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/headphones-and-headsets/at-home/music-pleasure/dt-880-edition.html

EDIT: Sorry for the double post. . . 

Nov 4, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #8 of 72
Is the "2005" version the current version?  What are the older versions?  What are the differences?  Can you tell what version it is by looking at the headphones?

Nov 6, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #11 of 72

Quote:
RRP doesn't mean much. They were $220 for a long time, now they are $210. It's not a lot off, but since the 600 and 250 sound the same, you're getting hype and sound for only $210 new. There is zero evidence to show that the 600 sounds better than the 250. If you are using your amp at 9 oclock instead of something like 12 oclock, then your amp was made with too high of a gain and you can pay another $50 for phones that suit it.

Thank you! Finally someone who understands. Theres so much hatred towards the 250 ohm thats completely unfounded. I think Beyer even made the same note that you made. The difference ohmages are just merely for compatibility with amps. Along with higher ohmages for professional equipment that will destroy the headphones if the impedance is too low. The responses and materials are identical between the ohmages, along with the sound depending on if they're paired correctly. 

Its ridiculous how often people read that the more expensive 600 ohm ones are better even though its not true. They then repeat it over threads spreading the misconception. Not to mention confirmation biases from people who have paid extra and want to believe they have it better.
biggrin.gif

Nov 6, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #13 of 72
I'm not touching this one with a ten-foot pole!  : )

Quote:
Thank you! Finally someone who understands. Theres so much hatred towards the 250 ohm thats completely unfounded. I think Beyer even made the same note that you made. The difference ohmages are just merely for compatibility with amps. Along with higher ohmages for professional equipment that will destroy the headphones if the impedance is too low. The responses and materials are identical between the ohmages, along with the sound depending on if they're paired correctly. 

Its ridiculous how often people read that the more expensive 600 ohm ones are better even though its not true. They then repeat it over threads spreading the misconception. Not to mention confirmation biases from people who have paid extra and want to believe they have it better.
biggrin.gif

Nov 6, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #14 of 72
The DT880/600 were $229/shipped for a while on Amazon.  I paid $284 for mine, but thought--and still think--them well worth the money.  I strongly preferred the 2003 DT880/250 to the 2005 iteration.  And I strongly prefer the DT880/600 to the latter as well.  : )

Quote:
A lot of the other models are cheaper also. The 250 is the standard Beyer line i believe so they're always cheaper than the 32 and 600. The deals on the 32 and 600 are far less than the deal on the 250 right now! 

I got them for 220 on Amazon when they were cheap already. And that was a great deal. For 208 its a steal. 

Nov 6, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #15 of 72

Quote:
Look at the beyer 600 ohm bs thread in sound sciences.

Interesting read so far. Hope I didn't revive the old argument again.... or piss off the hive mind
biggrin.gif

As far as I can read (pretty much for anything) there is pretty much no difference between the ohmages. I haven't had the opportunity to do a thorough comparison, but I have gotten a chance with the DT880 600 ohms and I can say that there really is no difference. 

I understand that sound is subjective and what not, but people should be a little more careful when making assertions about headphones (or about anything really). There are a few ways to measure how different headphones are, and through these actual tests the differences between the 32, 250, and 600 are negligible.

EDIT: And just in case an argument starts over this or anything... I don't want to put anyone elses opinions down or their purchases. Perhaps with their system the 600 ohm indeed does sound better. I'm not one to judge. But through the actual data there is nearly no difference between them. (disregarding amps and setups) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back