DT770's clamped too hard. Alternatives?
Feb 13, 2013 at 1:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

seqasim

100+ Head-Fier
I loved the sound of my DT770s. I didn't love the clamping force - with my glasses, I was getting headaches every time I wore the DTs for more than an hour. What are some good alternatives with a similar sound?

Looking for:
- Circumaural, closed/semi-closed (These are my portable headphones)
- Lighter clamping force than DT770
- Soundstage of SOME sort (ditched my Momentum's because I couldn't stand the congestion)

I have Fiio E11 and ipod touch. 

Thanks in advance!

Feb 13, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #3 of 9
gently bend out the headband to reduce clamping force.
if you have the pro version, remove the padded band first to make bending easier.
alternatively, you can stretch out the headband by placing the cans over the width of a shoebox or some books, but you'd have to leave it on for a couple days to get similar results.

i'm real sensitive to clamp, and I've bent out the headband on all of my headphones (several times - with no ill effects). just be careful.
i also wear glasses - I have a pair of frames that are thin flexible wire that I wear with my cans, and don't even notice that they're on. if you don't want to buy new frames, you could get the Beyer gel pads, which are squishy pads that conform to your head and glasses. i love these pads for comfort, but bending the headband alone should be enough to reduce uncomfortable clamping pressure. no need to get new cans if you enjoy the sound of the 770's.

Feb 13, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
I loved the sound of my DT770s. I didn't love the clamping force - with my glasses, I was getting headaches every time I wore the DTs for more than an hour. What are some good alternatives with a similar sound?

Looking for:
- Soundstage of SOME sort (ditched my Momentum's because I couldn't stand the congestion)

Thanks in advance!

I assume you've attempted to stretch the headband to relieve the clamp pressure?

Get a premium version of the DT770, used, like the 250ohm. It doesn't clamp at all. Otherwise, look at the AudioTechnica A900X and Nuforce HP 800 and AKG K167.

Very best,

Feb 21, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #7 of 9
Funny, I wear my Sennheisers (280 and 380) more often and I guess I am used to their clamping force. When I use my DT 770 Pro80’s I feel like they are about to fall off, compared to the Senns. Over the years, in radio, and now I have used and tried many, many different circumaural closed cans and I cannot think of any that were more comfortable than the 770’s. I must be an anomaly though; I also enjoy the “clamp” and weight of my Koss Pro4AA’s, I think I have grown accustomed to a tight fit to achieve a tight seal from my years in broadcasting.

Did you find something that suites you better?

Feb 21, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
Yeah, I had the 80 ohm pro and while bending the headband provided some relief it wasn't near enough. Thanks that is exactly the answer I was looking for!

If you want...you can radically bend the head band of either the Pro or Premium model..  It is metal and it can be bent to whatever clamp pressure you prefer.  In fact, Beyerdynamic DT headphones are some of the easiest headband clamps to adjust because they are all metal.
I have bent them to looser and then rebent them back to tighter.

For peace of mind, if other aspects of the headphones meet your needs, then you have the right headphones...as you can bend the band to the point where they fall off your face if you wish. 
FWIW, I am fussy about clamping force and if I can't adjust the clamp force, then the headphone isn't for me.
Cheers.

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Looking for:

Thanks in advance!

The Beyers use a spring steel headband clasped in a plastic or leatherette cover. It's a simple matter to gently stretch the headphones to ease the clamping pressure.

I just got the 990 Pro a week ago and the clamping pressure drove me mad at first, it's so much harder on the head than the 880 premium. I was able to fix it on the spot once I got up the balls to try and bend the band, still perfectly round, just less clamping pressure now, more like the premiums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back