dt770 pro and xonar st/stx VS ? for progressive rock/metal
Jun 13, 2012 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

regicide

Head-Fier
I currently own a pair of grado sr80i and some 1964 duals, I love the grado sound signature but am looking for a pair of closed cans for work (I work in an open office environment so have been using my duals).

I quite like the brightness of the 80i, although sometimes it can be ever so slightly too bright and a little more bass wouldnt hurt (I am not a bass head but I do like to hear a solid thumb with each hit of the drum kicks).

The duals are good for portability, but when I sit down to really listen to my music they are missing quite a bit of bass and that grado sparkle.

I have heard some good things about the beyerdynamics dt 770 pro although the trough at ~4k on the head room graph does worry me slightly and some have mentioned them not being quick enough (PRaT) for my preferred music.

I primarily listen to progressive rock/metal, favourite bands are dream theatre and queensryche if that helps at all. I also listen to a little jumpstyle/hardstyle and classical, but performance for rock/metal is most important.

I do not require portability as I will be using these at work from my pc, the amp doesnt have to be a soundcard and could be an external amp (although my work pc's sound card has some background noise on my duals, probably due to their low impedance).

tl;dr
What are the differences between the 80 and 250 ohm versions? Is it fair to say the latter is more controlled?

Can the 250 ohm version be driven with the asus xonar st/stx ? 

Is there a better set up in my price range (dt770 @ $180 + st/stx is about the upper limit) that would better suit my tastes? Not having to get an amp would significantly reduce the price.

Cheers,
~Chris

Jun 13, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:
I currently own a pair of Grado sr80i and some 1964 duals, I love the grado sound signature but am looking for a pair of closed cans for work (I work in an open office environment so have been using my duals).
I quite like the brightness of the 80i, although sometimes it can be ever so slightly too bright and a little more bass wouldn't hurt (I am not a bass head but I do like to hear a solid thumb with each hit of the drum kicks).
The duals are good for portability, but when I sit down to really listen to my music they are missing quite a bit of bass and that Grado sparkle.
I have heard some good things about the beyerdynamics dt 770 pro although the trough at ~4k on the head room graph does worry me slightly and some have mentioned them not being quick enough (PRaT) for my preferred music.
I primarily listen to progressive rock/metal, favourite bands are dream theatre and queensryche if that helps at all. I also listen to a little jumpstyle/hardstyle and classical, but performance for rock/metal is most important.
I do not require portability as I will be using these at work from my pc, the amp doesn't have to be a sound card and could be an external amp (although my work pc's sound card has some background noise on my duals, probably due to their low impedance).
tl;dr
What are the differences between the 80 and 250 ohm versions? Is it fair to say the latter is more controlled?
Can the 250 ohm version be driven with the asus xonar st/stx ? 
Is there a better set up in my price range (dt770 @ $180 + st/stx is about the upper limit) that would better suit my tastes? Not having to get an amp would significantly reduce the price.

I think the DT770 Pro has a slight more clarity over the DT770 Pro 80-Ohm.
Not having to get an Amp.?,
The Essence STX comes with a headphone amplifier, so are you saying you do not want to have to buy the Essence STX?

Jun 13, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:
I think the DT770 Pro has a slight more clarity over the DT770 Pro 80-Ohm.
Not having to get an Amp.?,

The Essence STX comes with a headphone amplifier, so are you saying you do not want to have to buy the Essence STX?

Sorry for the confusion :D

I am fine with getting the dt770 and STX, what I meant was that if someone suggested an alternative pair of headphones that didn't require an amp this would reduce the overall cost.
Sound quality and comfort are more important though.

Jun 13, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #4 of 11
Even if you get headphones which don't need amp you need to get a sound card instead of built-in one since sound quality is important for you and STX is an excellent choice which has dedicated headphones amp built-in. Your other option is to get external DAC AND AMP or combo like Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 or Fiio E17 for example

Jun 13, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
Sorry for the confusion :D

I am fine with getting the dt770 and STX, what I meant was that if someone suggested an alternative pair of headphones that didn't require an amp this would reduce the overall cost.
Sound quality and comfort are more important though.

You could go with a Asus Xonar DG or DGX, with the DT770 Pro 80-Ohm.
The DG is $24 and there is a $10 mail in rebate.
The DGX is $40.
They can decently power the 80-Ohm headphones.

Jun 13, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
Even if you get headphones which don't need amp you need to get a sound card instead of built-in one since sound quality is important for you and STX is an excellent choice which has dedicated headphones amp built-in. Your other option is to get external DAC AND AMP or combo like Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 or Fiio E17 for example

Yeah I need to get an amp/dac combo at some point, its more the initial cost.
The built in card on my work pc is quite horrid though so I dont really have a choice.

Jun 13, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
You could go with a Asus Xonar DG or DGX, with the DT770 Pro 80-Ohm.
The DG is $24 and there is a $10 mail in rebate.
The DGX is $40.
They can decently power the 80-Ohm headphones.

Thanks for pointing out those options.

After thinking some more I think it would be worthwhile to 'splash out' a little more and get the STX as it means I won't need to invest in a better amp further down the track.

I don't live in the states and buying locally is quite a bit more expensive so I am also somewhat limited by who will ship internationally.
I get get the 770 pro 250 ohm for $180usd ($230usd including shipping)
whereas buying it locally (from Australia as its even more expensive in New Zealand) its $300USD + tax (12% on top + a delay at the border while the tax is processed and I pay it).

I am a little surprised no one has suggested an alternative pair of headphones, I take this as a good sign :)

Jun 14, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
Here the link
http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more
Ask any extra questions there regarding dt770

Can't believe I hadn't found it, thanks again 
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back