DT770 Pro 80hm and Zero Amplifier.... 350$ Later, and not the bass I wanted :/
Jul 12, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #16 of 25
I'm guessing the lame Sony stores in Canada won't have that unit on demo... I'll just have to take another chance.
Here are my beyers, for some reason it doesn't say 'pro' on the sides (but on the box it does...) I got these 2nd hand. I've taken pics below just in case they might be the wrong type...

Jul 19, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #18 of 25
Got the Sony XB700 today, and I think I like them so far. I still want more boom though :^D. I've got issues, I guess heh. I'm spoiled by Logitech 2.1 systems with the subwoofer knob....

All the other gear is for sale now :^)

Part of the problem is likely my computer soundcard, which I've disliked from day 1. (VIA HD audio)

Jul 19, 2010 at 1:09 PM Post #19 of 25
Maybe a Fiio E5 or Cmoy with bass boost or an EQ for more bass? It could just be that you like the feel of the bass that speakers provide.

Jul 19, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #20 of 25
EQ + XB700 + decent amp = speaker level bass

The Mach3 bass on cowon players helps a lot.

Jul 21, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #21 of 25
Kind of have the same issue, but this could be because I have no soundcard or amp(yet)? 
tongue.gif

(tried boosting bass from onboard soundcard, gave a nice boost but all mids and highs almost dissappeared?)

Jul 21, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:
Kind of have the same issue, but this could be because I have no soundcard or amp(yet)? 
tongue.gif

(tried boosting bass from onboard soundcard, gave a nice boost but all mids and highs almost dissappeared?)

Could be.  It also depends on the quality and type of equalizer, and the way you use it.  I get very good results with the EQ on my Cowon D2+.  It's Mach3 bass boost isn't just an EQ, it actually generates extra bass and injects it into the signal as far as I can tell.  Then I use subtractive EQ so it doesn't digitally clip inside the processor, keep the volume on the D2+ low, and send it to an amp.

You don't need a fancy amp or anything though.  I certainly don't have one.  This type of EQing cuts everything but the bass so it won't clip, and outputs a low volume signal, so you need the amp to bring it back up to listening volumes.

It could also be you headphones or just the way you hear.  Some headphones will let the bass bloom into the midrange when its boosted a ton.  An amp should help some, if that's the problem.  Even if it doesn't your ears may just not hear the mids and highs over the bass.  Everyone hears different so what works for one person may not work for the next.

Jul 22, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #23 of 25
I think the problem is that I'm not cut out for full-size headphones. The only time I was able to achieve the bass I wanted was with portable headphones (Koss TNT-55) connected to a particular sound card, placed on my uh, cheekbone? Almost completely off my ears. Then I could safely crank it up to unsafe levels  and my face would shake the way I wanted it too....

Perhaps a new search as begun... the biggest bass on a portable headphone :/

Jul 22, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #24 of 25
Quote:
placed on my uh, cheekbone? Almost completely off my ears. Then I could safely crank it up to unsafe levels  and my face would shake the way I wanted it too....

LOL!

I think even the XB700s may be too bass-lite for you then.  If you're not in an apartment or something I think you should just get a pair of 'phones that do everything but bass well and run a separate subwoofer along with them.  If you can't use a subwoofer, then I think you're out of luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back