DT770 Premium 250 OHMs or something else?
Feb 22, 2011 at 3:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

AyeVeeN

100+ Head-Fier
Hello. I just recently joined head-fi after lurking / searching for hours after hours over days and have recently just settled on the DT770 Premium 250OHMs with the FiiO E7. I was wondering if there was anything better than the DT770s as I don't feel too satisfied with them even after being amp'd.

Preferences are:
Moderate - not totally overwhelming bass (I listen to a lot of hiphop, and I'd probably like it to be on par with the DT770 at least).
At least some balance matters to me as well.

Comfortable

Closed (good ~ great isolation).

Highs / mids / lows not lacking too much.

Soundstage at least like the DT770s, possibly / preferably better.

Driven well by the Fiio E7?

Preferably not too large of a cord. Maybe even a coiled cord as I will be using it on the go (but I don't really want to settle for IEMs / portable headphones). Currently the DT770's cord is insanely huge even after bundling it up. Replaceable cord would be a great addition.

At least decent looks (as in, not too stupid looking so I can still use it outside even though people will already be giving weird looks probably, being in high school and all). Some reference is I pretty much love the DT770 looks, though it is pretty huge (though not much of a problem).

Swivel / portable features? + comes with a headphone case. Annoying how I can't set my DT770s on my neck for a few moments without it feeling insanely weird. It's not too high on my list though. Pretty much need the case though to store in my backpack.

I can't think of much as I just pretty much got introduced into higher quality headphones (been using like $25 Koss in-ears till now which satisfied me quite well, but it started to kill my ears and I hate how there's like no sound stage).

But yeah, music preference = mainly hip-hop, R&B, and some electronica / techno / trance.

I bought the DT770s for $200 on Amazon, but may settle for other sites like ebay. Budget is probably ~200 or less (possibly another 50$ at most max?) Currently I've been thinking of the ATH M50, Ultrasone PRO 750s, Denon D2000s, (which I hope I can find for less than 250 for the last 2 if possible) Shure SRH750DJ, and Shure SRH840 Pro Monitoring headphones. Are there any other possible ones? I HAVE searched constantly but there's too many different opinions / too many different threads and no one ever draws a direct conclusion it seems. Also I have a bunch of homework (as in, staying up all night, too many projects from like 4 classes at once) to do so can't search too much.

Also, just so I don't have to create many threads, can anyone recommend anything else than the E7 or is it one of the best for its price? Was thinking the PA2v2, but settled for the E7 as the looks drew me in + its bass boost feature. And its screen. I MAY combine it with the E9 in the feature, but I'm not 100% sure on that as I don't know how far I'll get into this hi-fi business.

Last thing is, whats the best portable player? I wanted to get the iPod Touch 32GB again (I've got it and returned it like 3 times total at costco due to me eventually getting bored of it, and I jailbroke it every time to get all the apps I wanted, but still got bored) to use the FiiO line out feature (it's been running straight from my Env Touch phone so far) and also because of its apps, but I may upgrade to an Android soon, so I guess a dedicated player will be fine. I've been hearing the Cowon's are probably the most highly praised of the hi-fi communities, but I have no idea which one would be best. Are the J3's really worth its price to you people? Thanks.

Edit: Actually, what would be the best UNAMPED phones under 250? I find that the E7 doesn't help at all, besides up the volume from my phone. Doesn't seem to improve the SQ either using it as a USB DAC. Also include the previous questions above as I MAY stick with the E7 if I notice any improvements when I order a new headphone, or I may just drop out of this business all together depending on how good the improvements they are from normal phones, cause from what I've heard so far, they're just marginal.

Feb 22, 2011 at 9:13 AM Post #4 of 5
im sort of in the same boat but not really... i bought the m50.. and they are not enough bass, so i am on the search for something better. I was looking at the 770 pros (80 ohm) with the e9... 

Feb 22, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
im sort of in the same boat but not really... i bought the m50.. and they are not enough bass, so i am on the search for something better. I was looking at the 770 pros (80 ohm) with the e9... 

Honestly I think the DT770 Premium 32OHMs provide more than enough bass while still being able to go quite loud (louder than my current DT770 250OHM + E7 atm I believe). Honestly I can't make too direct of a comparison with and without the E7 as I cannot switch between my E7 and the normal headphone jack fast enough to directly memorize the sound signatures. No idea about the M50's though. I was thinking of buying them after reading so many comments on it, plus I like having a coiled cable, but for some reason I'm not just 100% sold on it. The only reason why I've tried out the 32OHMs because Amazon incorrectly sent me the product while I ordered the 250 OHMs. I've RMA'd these phones a total of about 4 times and soon thinking to return it as the size is insane honestly for on the go, but I don't even know if there'd be much "smaller" full-sized headphones. The RMAs were due to constant improper shipping which damaged the phones, IN the leather case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back