DT770 600Ω - where's the bass??
Apr 13, 2011 at 12:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

teofilrocks

500+ Head-Fier
You're probably thinking "it's 600Ω, idiot, you need a good headphone amp." Well, those are both very good points (I am an idiot, and I do need a good amp). I have a Chinese tube headphone amp, completely entry level. Running 2-E88CCs and a 12AT7, it drives my 250Ω DT990 PROs great, bass thumps. It's so fun to listen to. The 770s, which are supposed to be heavy handed with the bass, seem to have forgotten the bass at home. This is besides sounding hollow. Is it that much more difficult to drive 600Ω over 250Ω?

You might also be thinking I'm not an expert in this arena. You would be correct. Perhaps it's a combination of my amp not delivering enough power, the different signatures of my headphones, and my personal tastes. What do you think is going on here?

Apr 13, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #2 of 17
I think you've answered your own question... have you not tried them from another source, perhaps a receiver or CD/DVD player to see if it makes a difference? Hollow is definitely the right word to describe underpowered headphones; instruments will be lacking weight, voices showing no intimacy.

Apr 13, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #3 of 17
Yea, I usually try to not post until I think I've got the answer, at which point I second-guess myself and post. I've tried the 770s from my MacPro headphone jack and the headphone jack from my powered computer speakers. They all sound about the same, which is to say - not that good. I'm guessing the FiiO E7/E9 combo I was looking at wouldn't fare much better? Don't want to drop $350 on a Valhalla if I'm not going to keep my 600Ω cans.

Apr 13, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #4 of 17
Sounds like a case of not enough juice. M^3 to DT770-600 is certainly not what I call bass-deficient. The 600 ohms are definitely a different beast from the 80 ohms in terms of bass quantity though. If you really want bass, those are the Beyers you want to go for.

Apr 13, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #5 of 17
I had the same issue.
I started with the 250 Ohm variant, then got the 600 because I was told it had more bass and less shrill highs.
It did have slightly less shrill highs, but it too had no bass. My DT880's had much more bass, and that just went against all I was led to believe.

What I've come to find out is that it depends which version of the DT770 / 600 you have. There are two that I know of. One has bass ports, the other does not. The one with the bass ports apparently has bass... The other, like the one I had, does not.

If yours has the bass ports then there is another issue here. Power might be a factor, but if you were getting adequate thumping from your 250 ohm DT990's with your amp, I don't think this is an issue. You can always try to take them somewhere and listen with different amps.

Good luck.

Apr 13, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #9 of 17
I never would have known Shane, thanks! Are you speaking of a 2005 model, or the much older 600Ω PRO version from years ago? I have access to the PRO version, so I can check that one, too.

Quote:
What I've come to find out is that it depends which version of the DT770 / 600 you have. There are two that I know of. One has bass ports, the other does not. The one with the bass ports apparently has bass... The other, like the one I had, does not.

If yours has the bass ports then there is another issue here. Power might be a factor, but if you were getting adequate thumping from your 250 ohm DT990's with your amp, I don't think this is an issue. You can always try to take them somewhere and listen with different amps.

Good luck.

Apr 13, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #10 of 17

Quote:
I never would have known Shane, thanks! Are you speaking of a 2005 model, or the much older 600Ω PRO version from years ago? I have access to the PRO version, so I can check that one, too.

2005 model.

Apr 14, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #11 of 17
I've listened to several amps with my 990/600 and I found only very little amps capable of delivering the bass I wanted.
I'm sure there are plenty more out there but so far it was only a Luxman and my 339 that really made me enjoy these headphones.

Apr 14, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #12 of 17
@Shane55: Well, if the bass ports are small holes right about the cup hinge, then yes my cans have them.

@Ultrainferno: A Schiit Valhalla is in the mail, so I'll see just how much it really takes to power these.

I also should be getting the FiiO E7/E9 combo around the same time. Will be interesting to compare. Today, my DT770 PROs came in, and I'm really enjoying them, so maybe this whole thing doesn't matter. In which case I'll sell the 600Ω version and maybe return the Valhalla 
wink_face.gif

Apr 15, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #13 of 17

Quote:
@Shane55: Well, if the bass ports are small holes right about the cup hinge, then yes my cans have them.

Hmmm. I wouldn't know as I've never seen them, but that's probably them as mine had no small holes at all.
Congrats on getting your self some good Schiit. Hope that works for you.

Apr 15, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #14 of 17
Compared to other beyer models I've tried (dt990 dt880 and dt770 pro + some different vintage...), the dt770/600 has a bright presentation. I use mine with an OTL tube amp (WA2) and I think it's a very good match. Still sometimes I could use some more bass. Sometimes I use Lisa III with bass boost - and it sounds GOOD :wink: (that said, I don't think this issue is just a matter of enough power)

I have been considering to get the dt770/600 recabled, thinking that it might improve bass response, but I'm not so sure I need it anymore. I somehow got addicted to the dt770/600's bright presentation. The treble is very airy and sparkling, so much space between instruments, gotta love it... I case I need the extra bass I turn to Lisa III or another headphone...[edit. my dt770/600 has the small pass ports as well...]

Apr 18, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #15 of 17
The bass on the DT770/600 are the actually pretty weak as a beyer model. It will be there if the music calls for it but it won't be quite as overwhelming as the 80 ohm version. Something like A Milli from Lil Wayne will produce a lot of bass but still very contained and not bloaty. Maybe you picked the wrong beyer. If you really want some great bass, go for the DT990/600. It'll definitely give you a great amount while not being too much. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back