DT 990 Premium 250Ohm.....
Sep 17, 2011 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

powerdpower

Head-Fier
I am trying to find the DT 990 Premium 250Ohm for a good price, and am wondering if anyone knows of any resellers or websites that might possibly sell them for around or below 250$..

And here is another question, I am really set on the Beyers.... BUT I was also considering the Audio Technica AD900's... my problem with looking for headphones is that I want something with some bass impact, but not too much, and I don't want the bass to be underpowered, and I still need a big sound-stage for what I will be using them for.

Thanks in advance!

Sep 17, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #2 of 15
What amp do you plan on using with it?  I have a 990 600Ω premium, and I'm wanting to sell it off for cheap, but I havn't started a topic for it yet on the classifieds.  There's also some used-like new 250Ω premium ones on amazon for 220usd.

I doubt you'll get the same bass impact from the air dynamic series of headphones than you'd get from a Beyer.

Sep 17, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #3 of 15
I was planning on buying a simple sound card to go with them, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132020 .
I plan on using them for gaming and music listening. That card has a built in headphone amp and dolby headphone and that's why I was going to buy it and the 250 Ohm Beyers.

Would that card power the 600 Ohms ? I cant spend more than 250 on my setup all-together, so...

And how much are you wanting to sell your cans for?

Sep 17, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #4 of 15
The bulit-in dolby headphone is pretty nice for such a cheap card, but I'm not sure how powerful its amp is.  General consensus is that both the 250Ω and 600Ω versions are just as hard to drive, but they're different in a way.  600Ω version requiring more voltage while 250Ω version requiring more wattage. 

I was planning on selling mine for around 170usd.  Their earpads are a bit worn out and the material on the underside of the headband has a part that's a bit worn down as well.

Sep 18, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #5 of 15
I am probably going to buy a 250 Ohm version, thanks for the offer though! Is there a good cheap amp that you could recommend that is under 20usd and would power them? Such as something from the Fiio series of amps?

Also what the card says is that it can power is up to 150Ohms. So I'm guessing it probably would not power either the 250 or 600.

Sep 18, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #6 of 15
Fiio E9 has enough power i believe...

Sep 18, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #7 of 15

Quote:
The bulit-in dolby headphone is pretty nice for such a cheap card, but I'm not sure how powerful its amp is.  General consensus is that both the 250Ω and 600Ω versions are just as hard to drive, but they're different in a way.  600Ω version requiring more voltage while 250Ω version requiring more wattage. 

I was planning on selling mine for around 170usd.  Their earpads are a bit worn out and the material on the underside of the headband has a part that's a bit worn down as well.

How about pics of your 600ohms, the pads can be replaced... the headband is no big issue as long its not broken.

I might be interested on them

Sep 19, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #8 of 15
Why don't you just go for the PRO version of the DT990? It costs less than the Premium version and besides the slightly different (IMO superior) looks, its no different than the Premium version. The drivers are exactly the same. The clamping force is supposedly larger on the PRO but I personally haven't noticed this, the headband can be bent out a little to reduce clamping anyway.

Sep 19, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #9 of 15

Quote:
I am trying to find the DT 990 Premium 250Ohm for a good price, and am wondering if anyone knows of any resellers or websites that might possibly sell them for around or below 250$..

And here is another question, I am really set on the Beyers.... BUT I was also considering the Audio Technica AD900's... my problem with looking for headphones is that I want something with some bass impact, but not too much, and I don't want the bass to be underpowered, and I still need a big sound-stage for what I will be using them for.

Thanks in advance!

Heya,

DT990 PRO's.

Very best,

Sep 20, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #10 of 15
Well, are there any, major differences in sound between the pros and premiums? As I said, I will be using Dolby headphone for these and for Dolby headphone to its job best, you need a nice open sound-stage. But thanks for all the help, and its good to know that both headphones use the same drivers :wink:. This might save me some money!

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
Well, are there any, major differences in sound between the pros and premiums? As I said, I will be using Dolby headphone for these and for Dolby headphone to its job best, you need a nice open sound-stage. But thanks for all the help, and its good to know that both headphones use the same drivers :wink:. This might save me some money!

Heya,

If I had to quantify the sound difference, it would be like less than 0.5% actual difference. Same drivers and everything. It just has a different driver housing and a slightly more gripping headband. It otherwise sounds pretty much the same. All the PRO models of the DT series are excellent and significantly less costly. If you're at all on a budget here, I'd go that route. You get all the sound for less. It just looks different is all.

Very best,

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #13 of 15
OK thank for clearing that up for me! OK, headphone decided, now to make sure my sound card I want will be good enough to power them...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132020

Will that drive them do you guys think?

Thanks for all the help guys!

p.s. ( wanna see what I'm currently using? your gonna laugh) http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/productID.169420200/parentCategoryID.35096300/categoryId.40856100

I actually think they sound decent, until I get this new setup
L3000.gif

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #14 of 15
Heya,

The soundcard can handle up to 150ohm impedance it says, and the PRO is 250ohm. However, I will say that I've had 300ohm headphones play out of soundcards for over a decade and they sounded great, so if you're feeling like trying it out without spending a lot of extra money, go with that Xonar, it should work out fine. If you're worried, you'll have to get something that handles more like 300ohms "advertised." And that's my point, is that they only recently started advertising what their built in amps can handle compared to the older days when they didn't tell you that stuff up front.

Again, if worried at all, step up to the Titanium HD.

But I personally would just use that DG. And if you feel like you want more power, put an amp in the chain (DG -> amp -> headphone) which you can always do later.

Very best,

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #15 of 15
Thanks! Yeah I will probably buy the Xonar as it looks like it will do the job. I have always hated creative, not their products but their software, it is really really bad. At least to me...

And plus I want Dolby headphone, which is in the Xonar card.
beerchug.gif

Thanks for all the help guys, if you have any more suggestions
biggrin.gif
feel free to tell me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back