DT-990 driver issues.
Jul 15, 2011 at 9:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

jp_zer0

100+ Head-Fier
I noticed some channel imbalance in my 990's and decided to disassemble the drivers to see if there was anything wrong. Noticed there was quite a bit of hair in there and started plucking that out but the more layers I removed there was always yet more hair. After a while of dicking around I put everything back together but the side that was quiet got down to a whisper.

If anyone knows, you think I broke the driver or will it get back its loudness if I remove the rest of the hair that's inside the driver piece? I have the white looking disc in my hands but it's really hard to pluck the hair that's stuck behind the grill-like layer. Is there a way to pop out the driver?

Thanks for any insight on the matter.

Jul 16, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #3 of 4
Yes. You can pop the driver out..

I had an old set of DT-990s, and the amount of hair was just terrible. I got them used, so it wasn't my hair (euw....). I got most of it off and then I broke the voice coil wires... the tiny tiny wires on the side of the driver. You break those and the driver is history. So great care must be taken while handling the drivers.

When you remove the hairs... the Beyer driver membrane is pretty tough compared to other drivers, but it is easy to tear a hole in it if you use metal tweezers or something, and the magnet pulls them down... this would pinch the membrane, and you can tear a hole in it this way .

Good luck... if you are careful, you can get them off the driver and restore the sound of the headphones. The hairs cause all kinds of buzzing, so the driver definitely needs to be free of them.

Jul 16, 2011 at 10:42 AM Post #4 of 4
oh wow, managed to pop out the driver. Turns out I totally destroyed the little dome membrane. Game over for me I imagine, it's like all collapsed and stuck to the bottom. I would have noticed I was breaking something hadn't the magnets immediately pushed my tweezers all the way down...

They would have still been useful with some slight imbalance tho so I'm kinda bummed about that. Are all headphones this susceptible to hair intrusion? seems like quite a design flaw.

edit: too late yashu, I needed you yesterday :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back