DT 770 250 vs 80 vs 32? | Best Portable Closed Headphones?
Nov 5, 2010 at 5:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

k4zuki

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, this is pretty much my first post so I guess I'll just introduce myself. I'm new to the community and a lot my friends are "heaphone afficionados". I go to an animation school so sometimes people there are quite noisy, so I need  a pair of closed cans that I can bring to school and fire up with my iPhone and possibly my desktop PC at home. I would probably be using them to listen to music, watch movies, and play PC games.

I've been contemplating on getting a pair of Beyer DT 770s... I was wondering which version (impedance) is best. I've read several threads on the forum that says that higher impedance sometimes = better sound, but I'm worried that if I get the higher version my iPhone would probably just underdrive 'em. 

Also if there are people out there who think that I shouldn't get the beyers, please recommend me any closed heaphones that you think would work to my taste.

Once again, thanks!

Nov 6, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #3 of 12
Low impedance 'phone can be difficult to drive in their own way.  The amp can run out of current and cause distortion.  With a high impedance 'phone the amp just wont be able to provide enough voltage to get the volume you want.

You might want to look at something easier to drive like an ATH-M50 or a pair of IEMs.

Nov 11, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #4 of 12
I have the DT770 Pro-80s and I would NOT recommend using them without an amp. I doubt if the 32s are much better in this regard.
If amp free use is desired I would look to another brand.
Note that an awesome amp can be obtained for $100, the Total AirHead.

Nov 11, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
I have the DT770 Pro-80s and I would NOT recommend using them without an amp. I doubt if the 32s are much better in this regard.
If amp free use is desired I would look to another brand.
Note that an awesome amp can be obtained for $100, the Total AirHead.

or about $40 used, they pop up fairly frequently on the for sale section of head fi

Nov 11, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #6 of 12
Hello. I'm also facing the same dilemma you are: which Beyer to buy? But different from you I already spend some money on the E7/E9 Fiio amp/dac combo, so I think I'll be OK using these cans. From what other members use to mention on head-fi, I wouldn't recommend using the DT770's without an amp. If you buy a low impedance version, it will sound somewhat ok and laud, but you won't be using your headphone's total potential, so it's better for you to, as other members suggested, spend your money on some cool IEMs.

Those will provide excellent isolation (maybe better than the DT770's would provide), will be easier to carry around (from college to your house, especially if you don't have a car) and will sound very good too!

Nov 11, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #7 of 12
also, the DT770's are far from portable...10ft of wire?

Nov 11, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #8 of 12
not many reviews on it but T5p is probably the better headphone but grossly overpriced imo

Nov 11, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
Yeah, I've used DT770's outside before and you won't want to do much more than sit on a bench
I had to shove all the cable in one pocket and my sansa in the other pocket
If you're set on Beyers I'll say the T50p but there may be better options out there

couldn't be worse than using a grado while on the go... butyeah...the T50p seems to be a mixed bag, some swear by them and others give them fierce criticism

Nov 12, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #11 of 12
The T50P doesn't have quite the isolation of the DT770 but they are close:
moz-screenshot.png
moz-screenshot-1.png
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=6&graphID[]=2761&graphID[]=713
I would love to audition the T50P some day.

I use my DT770s for travel on a regular basis, even to overseas, but I am a bit hardcore :).

The T50P would be much more portable.

Jan 19, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #12 of 12
Hi, I own the t50p and am still very impressed with its sound. It is easily driven by any tiny pocket amplifier.
I have seen all different kind of impressions written down regarding these phones. Positioning sensitivity and "standing waves".

But I am totally convinced that there are no other portable cans out there having the mighty and clean base and still retain a clean and effortless mid and treble, also giving a very convincing audio stage. I do not here mean cans for plus 1000$.

The statement above is since I made a tweak on the ear pads of the t50p. I added an EXTRA pair of pads on to the existing ones. The result. Very unexpeced improvement. The positioning sensitivity was gone! The audio staging improved and the tendency of "standing waves" was no more. The highly desired audiofile easyness and air of the sound was now there!  Why, probably because now there was a bigger acoustic room where the shape of you ear can be more involved and add to the experience (my guesses  :) )  It might sound exaggerated, but it costs very little to try.

I have always been a fan of AKG 240 and started to believe that nothing could ever be better than those. The reason for this conclusion was of course economics. Couldn't afford any more expensive. But recently I was completely overwhelmed by these cans, ESPECIALLY with two pair of pads. Try it, and it would be very interesting to hear any comment of you trying this.

Now I can't imagine a better sound whatsoever than the t50p, but that said, only until I try T1 of course or perhaps dt880.

A bonus is that they are very effectively damping sound leakage. Perfect for the office.  My AKG 240 had to be shut off until I had to get something else.

Regards
Ivan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back