Drop x Sennheiser PC38X
Oct 21, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #18 of 68
MLE, have you had a chance to try out the HD 560s? Wondering how these pc38x compare for gaming.

Oct 21, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #19 of 68
I picked up the PC38X after being unable to find an easy to use mic for my HD650's (someone needs to make a bluetooth lapel mic that recharges, half an airpod). So far I like it for being on the phone all day, not as good or comfortable but still nice.

Nov 25, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #20 of 68
I heard often about two major problems which are holding me back from buying a pair.

1. Rattling when playing bass at louder volumes (I am not a very loud listener but a granate in a game at mid volume should be fine for gaming).
2. People complain that in voice chats others are hearing theirselves through the microphone.

Did you experience anything like this?

Nov 25, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #21 of 68
I heard often about two major problems which are holding me back from buying a pair.

1. Rattling when playing bass at louder volumes (I am not a very loud listener but a granate in a game at mid volume should be fine for gaming).
2. People complain that in voice chats others are hearing theirselves through the microphone.

Did you experience anything like this?

I picked these up and have been playing a bunch of Cold War zombies with my friends. I have had no issues with the bass and no complaints of echos from my friends.

I will say, coming from the the pc360, the sound is a bit artificially boosted in the treble. It worried me at first because when watching movies, the voices sounded wrong. However, I completely understood why they tweaked the sound this way when I started playing games. The ability to pinpoint other players, while also clearly hearing folks in the chat, improved the whole gaming experience. As well, the tuned frequency response worked well with the digitized sound from games.

Nov 25, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #22 of 68
I picked these up and have been playing a bunch of Cold War zombies with my friends. I have had no issues with the bass and no complaints of echos from my friends.

I will say, coming from the the pc360, the sound is a bit artificially boosted in the treble. It worried me at first because when watching movies, the voices sounded wrong. However, I completely understood why they tweaked the sound this way when I started playing games. The ability to pinpoint other players, while also clearly hearing folks in the chat, improved the whole gaming experience. As well, the tuned frequency response worked well with the digitized sound from games.

Thank you so much for sharing your impressions. It really helped me and took my concerns about those two issues.

Your description sounds pretty much like what I am looking for and what I hoped to get with these. I own a pair of 660s and Fiio FH7s for musik but bith arent the most spacious headphones for gaming. Well and there isnt any mic....
Sowhat I wish from the 38x is justa god gaming experience.

Thank you :)

Nov 26, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #23 of 68
Thank you so much for sharing your impressions. It really helped me and took my concerns about those two issues.

Your description sounds pretty much like what I am looking for and what I hoped to get with these. I own a pair of 660s and Fiio FH7s for musik but bith arent the most spacious headphones for gaming. Well and there isnt any mic....
Sowhat I wish from the 38x is justa god gaming experience.

Thank you :)
This is curious i'm possibly making a change to HD 660S coming from 363D, you would choose the 38X over the 660S for gaming ? Regarding soundstage and sound clarity ?

Nov 27, 2020 at 1:50 AM Post #24 of 68
I had my old pair of HD558s mangled in a move and was looking into getting the PC38x as replacements. My brother had a pair of 58X Jubilees which but they didn't have as open a sound as I'd like. Given these would be my main workhorse headphones for games, movies, and casual music listening, I'm hoping the 38Xs could provide some improvement in soundstage and detail or clarity coming from the 558s. I don't super need the mic but the volume on the cup seems actually useful for my uses.

So if anyone has experience with the HD 558s or 58Xs, do you think the PC38X would be more of a sidegrade or a bit of an upgrade?

Other headphones I have if there can be other comparisons: Koss Porta Pro and HD 25s.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #25 of 68
This is curious i'm possibly making a change to HD 660S coming from 363D, you would choose the 38X over the 660S for gaming ? Regarding soundstage and sound clarity ?

I think it will take some time until my 38x will arrive here in germany from US. When they arrive I will compare both. I am sure for musik the 660s will be better but i reallly coulf imagine that the 38x does a better job at imaging for games since the 660s isnt the very best for that.

So i promise i will tell you as soon as I have them here :)

Nov 27, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #26 of 68
I think it will take some time until my 38x will arrive here in germany from US. When they arrive I will compare both. I am sure for musik the 660s will be better but i reallly coulf imagine that the 38x does a better job at imaging for games since the 660s isnt the very best for that.

So i promise i will tell you as soon as I have them here :)

Hum so you're still going to use the 660s for music/SP gaming and the 38x for MP gaming ?

Nov 27, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #28 of 68
I had my old pair of HD558s mangled in a move and was looking into getting the PC38x as replacements. My brother had a pair of 58X Jubilees which but they didn't have as open a sound as I'd like. Given these would be my main workhorse headphones for games, movies, and casual music listening, I'm hoping the 38Xs could provide some improvement in soundstage and detail or clarity coming from the 558s. I don't super need the mic but the volume on the cup seems actually useful for my uses.

So if anyone has experience with the HD 558s or 58Xs, do you think the PC38X would be more of a sidegrade or a bit of an upgrade?

Other headphones I have if there can be other comparisons: Koss Porta Pro and HD 25s.

The Koss Porta pro aren't anywhere close to the 58x. I know the headphones you mentioned very well but the 38x because I am still waiting for them to arrive. But I am pretty sure that the 38x would be more of a sidegrade to the 58x.

Gaming prefers some other values of an headphone than music. That doesn't mean that headphones can't be awesome with doing both but still...
That's why I think Sennheiser does so well in the price range of 200-500$. They decide to get a lot of detail and musicality and accept to have less of that space and size. That's more value for good sound.
When it comes to gaming it's better to have more of this space. So that's why there can be an advantage in other headphones like the 38x.

When it comes to pure sound quality for music I would suggest some Hifiman Sundaras as an upgrade.
The 38x should not be worth the upgrade until you want that additional mic (like I do since I don't have any headset) or you just have some money laying around and would like to try that edge of more excitement for gaming.

You will get my review here when I have my 38x.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020 at 3:00 AM Post #29 of 68
Can anyone here speak to how these sound compared to the Philips Fidelio X2HR's as all-rounders (movies, TV, music, gaming)? How do their signature, stage, imaging, detail, resolution, clarity, etc. compare to those? Also, does anyone know if these lose bass for glasses-wearers or other people who have trouble getting a seal? In my experience and that of others, even a lot of open-back headphones do lose bass for glasses-wearers, and that limits my options.

For context, this is why I'm jumping in here and asking about this:

I want good open-back under-$200 headphones with a nice, spacious, decently-detailed, non-congested sound that are easy to drive (thus why I'm not considering something like the HD560s or 5xx) and still have good bass-extension into the sub-bass (as far as open-back headphones go). The X2HR's were the answer to pretty much all of that (they even have nice rumble all the way down to 30Hz), with one big issue: I find their stock velour earpads incredibly itchy, and unfortunately aftermarket pads change the sound in ways that are simply not acceptable. I'm thinking that the microfiber pads on the 38x won't have that issue, but I'm worried that I'd be sacrificing a lot of sound-quality in the process.

Dec 10, 2020 at 7:17 AM Post #30 of 68
So i have my 38x now for already five days and can tell you my impressions:

I am an audiophile so will not compare this to a 40000$ stereo or an 2000$ headphone. But still to more expensive headphones than the 38x.

For music I was very surprised. They don't have quite the screaming sense of detail which alternatives like the 6xx or the 660s do. But they are still pretty detailed, have a surprisingly nice warmth and smoothness in the mids, even deeper bass and... what the hell... They are way more spacious. So compared to 58x, 660s or 6xx you will not enjoy them as much for jazz as the 58x, not as much for electronic music like the 6xx or the 660s but seriously better than the 58x and the 6xx for classical Music thanks to the great sound stage. You might even want to trade the soundstage of the 38x for classical music for the detail and the directness of the 660s (I myself wouln´t go this far but seriously pretty close decision). I wouldn't expect such a great sound out of a gaming headphone by far; but there it is.

For gaming: just awesome. It gives my gaming experience a new dimension. When I play rainbow six siege I hear so well in which room opponents are walking and how close they are coming. I don't have a lot of gaming experience so I can't go too deep into this but from my perspective this is truly stunning! It makes gaming way better.

Microphone: works totally fine. Wired mics are just better than wireless and Sennheiser does this well. The mic is picking your voice clearly and you don't have to talk loudly, what was important to me. Still it wouldn't be my first pick for telling my friends a bed time story because it sounds quite bright an bass isn't recorded very well. But that's not a Problem to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back