Drop x Sennheiser PC38X
Dec 14, 2020 at 9:19 PM Post #31 of 68
Can anyone here speak to how these sound compared to the Philips Fidelio X2HR's as all-rounders (movies, TV, music, gaming)? How do their signature, stage, imaging, detail, resolution, clarity, etc. compare to those? Also, does anyone know if these lose bass for glasses-wearers or other people who have trouble getting a seal? In my experience and that of others, even a lot of open-back headphones do lose bass for glasses-wearers, and that limits my options.

For context, this is why I'm jumping in here and asking about this:

I want good open-back under-$200 headphones with a nice, spacious, decently-detailed, non-congested sound that are easy to drive (thus why I'm not considering something like the HD560s or 5xx) and still have good bass-extension into the sub-bass (as far as open-back headphones go). The X2HR's were the answer to pretty much all of that (they even have nice rumble all the way down to 30Hz), with one big issue: I find their stock velour earpads incredibly itchy, and unfortunately aftermarket pads change the sound in ways that are simply not acceptable. I'm thinking that the microfiber pads on the 38x won't have that issue, but I'm worried that I'd be sacrificing a lot of sound-quality in the process.

I'd like to know this too. I just received the fidelio x2hr yesterday and they are very nice, I also own the sennheiser pc37x and I like them very much but I need a little more extension in the bass. I dont care about footsteps, and locating gun shots. All I want is full immersion on my console games. I don't want to run dacs or amps. That's why I'm looking at fidelio x2hr and sennheiser pc38x since they are easy to drive. I also looked at sennheiser gsp 500 and 600 but I hear they are harder to drive. Not sure if the newer consoles have more power in the controllers.

Dec 21, 2020 at 1:05 AM Post #32 of 68
Bumping this. Is anyone still here? Has anyone tried both the Fidelio X2HR and the PC38x as I was asking? Any word on how they compare when it comes to detail and resolution, clarity, separation, soundstage, imaging, etc? Any word on which seems like the better "all-rounder" for music, movies, TV, and games?

Jan 7, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #33 of 68
I have the 363d's, and the ear pads are in bad shape. But they don't feel removable/replacable, despite the link above showing replacement pads saying they are 363d compatible for $29. Anyone have info?

Feb 1, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #35 of 68
I just had a pair delivered to the UK and somehow managed to incur no customs charges which is very nice! Very quick first impressions, they feel like a very basic build, but the drivers are impressive. I think I'd rather reach for these than the Penrose X (which is now being sent back).

Feb 1, 2021 at 9:26 PM Post #36 of 68
I just had a pair delivered to the UK and somehow managed to incur no customs charges which is very nice! Very quick first impressions, they feel like a very basic build, but the drivers are impressive. I think I'd rather reach for these than the Penrose X (which is now being sent back).

I remember you from one of the other threads I'm in... I forget, do you have the Senn HD560s or the Fidelio X2's/X2HR's? I could swear I remember you from one or both of those threads.

If you have one or both of those, do you hvae any info on how the PC38x compares to them?

Feb 3, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #37 of 68
I remember you from one of the other threads I'm in... I forget, do you have the Senn HD560s or the Fidelio X2's/X2HR's? I could swear I remember you from one or both of those threads.

If you have one or both of those, do you hvae any info on how the PC38x compares to them?
I have the X2HR. The PC38x has enjoyable levels of bass. They certainly don't feel subdued, but they haven't got the elevated levels of the X2 (which causes a lack of clarity in the X2). These are clear and concise with better imaging and soundstage than the X2 in my opinion). Great accompaniment to the X2. They do have a bit of clamp (to begin with at least), I'm not sure if they'd get along with glasses. They're not as hot or itchy as the X2. The sound is damn impressive for £125, and betters the Audeze Penrose (a planar that everyone is raving about and I've just returned). They're well worth a go, they just feel a bit cheap due to the design (it's because they're excellent drivers in a cheap frame). If they were a nicer design I've happily pay twice the price.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #38 of 68
I have the X2HR. The PC38x has enjoyable levels of bass. They certainly don't feel subdued, but they haven't got the elevated levels of the X2 (which causes a lack of clarity in the X2). These are clear and concise with better imaging and soundstage than the X2 in my opinion). Great accompaniment to the X2. They do have a bit of clamp (to begin with at least), I'm not sure if they'd get along with glasses. They're not as hot or itchy as the X2. The sound is damn impressive for £125, and betters the Audeze Penrose (a planar that everyone is raving about and I've just returned). They're well worth a go, they just feel a bit cheap due to the design (it's because they're excellent drivers in a cheap frame). If they were a nicer design I've happily pay twice the price.

Thank you for your impressions!

Feb 17, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #39 of 68
I have an ifi Micro BL that I use with my HD6xx for music - awesome combination. I think the PC38X is a great headset for gaming - but contrary to this reviewer, I thought their soundstage was pretty narrow for an open back. I put on the velour pads right away, maybe I need to try with the standard ones...or maybe use them with an amp.

Which brings me to the reason for my post - can someone explain what I’d need to use my ifi MIcro BL with the PC38X on PS5 while retaining the mic?

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #40 of 68
Has anyone tried different pads on these? I am not too fond of the thin pads comfort wise. Was looking at dekoni or brainwaves, but not sure if those will completely screw up the sound balance of these headphones, which I really like.

Dekoni are just a little bit too expensive to just see if I like them

Mar 21, 2021 at 10:01 PM Post #41 of 68
Has anyone tried different pads on these? I am not too fond of the thin pads comfort wise. Was looking at dekoni or brainwaves, but not sure if those will completely screw up the sound balance of these headphones, which I really like.

Dekoni are just a little bit too expensive to just see if I like them
I picked up the Dekoni as the original pads are way too narrow. They're the leather ones and are well worth buying. They're now much more comfortable and I didn't notice any detrimental change in sound. I've pad swapped on a variety of headphones, often it's not good, but the Dekoni on these are great.

PXL_20210227_130813104.jpg

Mar 22, 2021 at 5:40 AM Post #45 of 68

Users who are viewing this thread

Back