Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 Dual Carbon IEM...available in the US!
Nov 20, 2021 at 1:32 AM Post #1,276 of 1,383
Considering getting the FDX1 as a complement to IER-Z1R… really like the Sony’s tonality and the sound it produces, and was wondering if the FDX1 would be a good backup pair for “on the go”?

Perhaps anyone owns both and could share how they compare?

Another question — is anyone using FDX1 with FiiO UTWS as a true-wireless solution?
I have the FDX1 and have demoed the IER-Z1R extensively. Personally I liked the IER-Z1R better only when it was paired with the DMP-Z1's single ended output, with other sources it wasn't nearly as good. The IER-M9 sounded better across a wider range of sources.

Nov 20, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #1,277 of 1,383
I have the FDX1 and have demoed the IER-Z1R extensively. Personally I liked the IER-Z1R better only when it was paired with the DMP-Z1's single ended output, with other sources it wasn't nearly as good. The IER-M9 sounded better across a wider range of sources.
Pairing the IER-Z1R with Shanling M8 and it’s
a great pairing. IER-M9 which I had for an audition didn’t even come close. Have gone through quite a few high end IEMs before settling on the IER-Z1R. Fits me like a glove too and I find them really comfortable, feeling lucky.

Sorry for the off topic.

On the subject of FDX1– thank you, is it a rule of thumb that the filter with most-dampening should be used?

Nov 20, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #1,278 of 1,383
a great pairing. IER-M9 which I had for an audition didn’t even come close. Have gone through quite a few high end IEMs before settling on the IER-Z1R. Fits me like a glove too and I find them really comfortable, feeling lucky.

Sorry for the off topic.

On the subject of FDX1– thank you, is it a rule of thumb that the filter with most-dampening should be used?
My impressions were similar but only when paired with the DMP-Z1's SE output. That combo is the best sounding in ear i've ever heard by a huge margin.

Coming from the IER-Z1R that would be the filter of choice. Personally i wanted more sparkle but didn't like the undamped filter so it put some moondrop KXXS filters on it and they are currently my favourite filter. Mids are damped nicely and the treble has more air.

Was going to mention weigh might be a problem but then i remembered how big the Z1R were XD

Nov 20, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #1,279 of 1,383

Sorry for the off topic.

I prefer the intermediate one as the most dampened one lacks a bit of sparkle IMO. Try them.

Nov 20, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #1,280 of 1,383
Considering getting the FDX1 as a complement to IER-Z1R… really like the Sony’s tonality and the sound it produces, and was wondering if the FDX1 would be a good backup pair for “on the go”?

Another question — is anyone using FDX1 with FiiO UTWS as a true-wireless solution?

I'm used to the FDX1 with reference (intermediate) filters and found the Z1R much warmer sounding when I demoed it. It kinda surprised me, since the difference didn't look that significant in the FR-graph.

I've been using it with the TRN BT20S and it is a very tight fit. Don't know if the cable part of the FiiO UTWS is longer than that of the TRN.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/goi...re-we-there-yet.861024/page-706#post-15126803

Nov 21, 2021 at 3:57 AM Post #1,281 of 1,383

Edit: Never mind. xD Totally misunderstood.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #1,283 of 1,383
Nov 21, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #1,284 of 1,383
Does anybody know an alternative brand of eartips that fits the FDX1's nozzle? None of the eartips that came with mine create a proper seal, so the bass is weak and the treble has no detail.
Symbio tips work, though a bit pricy.

Nov 22, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #1,286 of 1,383
Nov 28, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #1,290 of 1,383
I mostly listen classical music, heavy orchestra work like Wagner, Mahler ... with them. So i don't really need bass actually just need them clean and tight fast so they don't bleed into mid.
B2 is not recommended for classic music at all, due to the very poor timbre and incoherency.

Take a look at the Tanchjim Oxygen instead.

(no clue about the FDX1 though, but I did see some complaints about the timbre on that compared to the Oxygen.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back