Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 Dual Carbon IEM...available in the US!
Nov 3, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #1,261 of 1,383
A few words of advice….

Try all three filters, don’t just immediately settle on one. Try each for at least an hour or two to let your brain adjust.

Seal really matters. You will have no bass without a good seal. If you think that you have the right tip size, try one size larger just to make sure.

The spinning of the nozzle is a cool feature that basically allows you to wear the FDX1 straight down or cable over the ear. But, it comes with a catch. If you have the wrong orientation it will fit in you ear but sound horribly muffled because you are not pointing the tip opening directly into the ear canal. The right orientation is with the tip pointing slightly diagonally up - basiacally angled so that it looks like the tip is pointed towards the lower part of your forehead. I know this sounds strange, but will make more sense when you see it.

Tip bore size is important. These are brighter earphones, so a bit smaller tip opening will help, if you want a slightly warmer sound than you get with the stock tips. The stock tips are not bad, but they were just too thin for me.

Enjoy the FDX1!

How amazing your summary comment, thank you very much! It'll be here in a few hours, can't wait to play!

Apart from the changes and adaptations already provided for in the kit, are there any mods or parallel adaptations that work well with it?

Nov 3, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #1,262 of 1,383
How amazing your summary comment, thank you very much! It'll be here in a few hours, can't wait to play!

Apart from the changes and adaptations already provided for in the kit, are there any mods or parallel adaptations that work well with it?
I don’t modify earphones (and almost never headphones) so I really cannot speak to it. If your source offers EQ you may want to play with EQ to get your ideal sound. But, still, first try to listen with the different filters and tips without using EQ.

Our brains are funny things - they like what they are used to, but given a chance we can reprogram our brains to learn and appreciate new things. Once you find the best filter and ear tips for you, only then play with EQ.

Nov 3, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #1,263 of 1,383
I don’t modify earphones (and almost never headphones) so I really cannot speak to it. If your source offers EQ you may want to play with EQ to get your ideal sound. But, still, first try to listen with the different filters and tips without using EQ.

Our brains are funny things - they like what they are used to, but given a chance we can reprogram our brains to learn and appreciate new things. Once you find the best filter and ear tips for you, only then play with EQ.
Thank you for your wisdom, jedi master :handshake:

Nov 5, 2021 at 7:28 AM Post #1,267 of 1,383
So…. What do you think of the FDX1?
It's hard for me, I love the FDX1 concept, as a product, design, project... anyway. I just tried one of our "nozzles", I still have a learning journey. However, somehow I feel that in terms of timbre, tone, finally, will certainly not be my favorite, unfortunately. I'm really new to my hobby, I've tried some IEMs and definitely my favorite in ear is the Fiio FH3. I think it's a great all rounder, with great capacity for heavy sounds, bass and speed. It even seems like a miracle for the price. I need to find what will be the upgrades from FH3.

Nov 5, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #1,268 of 1,383
It's hard for me, I love the FDX1 concept, as a product, design, project... anyway. I just tried one of our "nozzles", I still have a learning journey. However, somehow I feel that in terms of timbre, tone, finally, will certainly not be my favorite, unfortunately. I'm really new to my hobby, I've tried some IEMs and definitely my favorite in ear is the Fiio FH3. I think it's a great all rounder, with great capacity for heavy sounds, bass and speed. It even seems like a miracle for the price. I need to find what will be the upgrades from FH3.
Yeah, as I have both as well I can understand. If you really like the FH3 then the FDX1 may not be the best for you. The treble on the FH3 is more subdued than the FDX1, so the FDX1 will sound much brighter and the bass less pronounced than on the FH3.

Give the FDX1 a little bit of time. If you listen to it for a few hours then immediately after listen to the FH3 you may be surprised that the FH3 sounds darker, less clear, and muddy. The human brain is where the most significant part of burnin happens…

Nov 5, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #1,269 of 1,383

The FH3 has a pretty hefty bass boost compared to the FDX1.
Get the filter with the most damping (should be green) and give yourself time to adjust to the new sound.
It really takes weeks, even months (for me) to fully appreciate a new sound.

The FDX1 is quite good and should run circles around the FH3 in many aspects,

Boa sorte!

Nov 5, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #1,270 of 1,383
@jsmiller58 @surfgeorge
How nice that you understand me! I'll give some more time for the real burnin (in my head) to happen, after all I still find the FDX1 a very interesting project.

I want to ask for some advice/help: in your opinion what would be the next IEMs (in order of price) that could be considered a direct upgrade from the FH3? There's no way, I don't think I'm going to drop it, when using it seems like magic.

Nov 5, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #1,271 of 1,383
@jsmiller58 @surfgeorge
How nice that you understand me! I'll give some more time for the real burnin (in my head) to happen, after all I still find the FDX1 a very interesting project.

I want to ask for some advice/help: in your opinion what would be the next IEMs (in order of price) that could be considered a direct upgrade from the FH3? There's no way, I don't think I'm going to drop it, when using it seems like magic.
Great question! I have +30 IEMs but accumulated over time and not with a well thought out project to rate/catalog…. But one that comes to mind is the LZ A7. It is also a warmer set and has numerous tuning nozzles, and isn’t crazy expensive…

Nov 5, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #1,272 of 1,383
Great question! I have +30 IEMs but accumulated over time and not with a well thought out project to rate/catalog…. But one that comes to mind is the LZ A7. It is also a warmer set and has numerous tuning nozzles, and isn’t crazy expensive…
How awesome! I started in a short time and here in Brazil it is very expensive to buy headphones and iems, but it has been a good journey to live.
Thanks for teaching and please, when selling audio items and iems/full sizes for a good price, remember me :)

Nov 17, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #1,273 of 1,383
26 months after ordering the FDX1 I finally received a working pair today!
Hard to believe, but it really took that long. I had asked a friend to bring them from the US which happened in January 2020, and it turned out my units were defective!
By the time my friend had received the replacement pair from Drop, travelling had become impossible and they were stuck with him for 1,5 years!

But I am happy to report that the pair I have received today are good! Fequency response is correct and the rotating mechanism is smooth but not too lose.

And finally I hear what I had hoped for 2 years ago.
I have moved on to more expensive IEMs in the meantime, but the FDX1 sounds really good.
Still a very capable model!

Nov 19, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #1,275 of 1,383
Considering getting the FDX1 as a complement to IER-Z1R… really like the Sony’s tonality and the sound it produces, and was wondering if the FDX1 would be a good backup pair for “on the go”?

Perhaps anyone owns both and could share how they compare?

Another question — is anyone using FDX1 with FiiO UTWS as a true-wireless solution?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back