Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 Dual Carbon IEM...available in the US!
May 24, 2021 at 1:32 AM Post #1,216 of 1,383
Last edited:
May 24, 2021 at 2:29 AM Post #1,217 of 1,383
1) mmmm maybe a wiring (internal) problem

2) rubbing alcohol, just to
Be sure
Thanks, I need to clean it in terms of disinfecting it and killing germs. Will alcohol be as good as soap in that regard?

Regarding cleaning, I'd rather use a soft cloth with medical grade alcohol to clean the shell.

Regarding an upgrade to the FDX1, the question mainly is what you are looking for, and secondly what source your are using.

The IER-M9 is clearly a much better IEM overall, but also very different in it's character.
The M9 is extremely refined and precise, very detailed while at the same time having a more natural timbre than most BA IEMs. It presents music in all it's nuances and detail without sounding analytical. But it's on the relaxed side of presentation, not very dynamic. In that sense the FDX1 is maybe more engaging. I do feel though that the M9 needs a really good source to show what it's capable of.

If you like the FDX1 and just want a big upgrade, take a look at the UM 3DT. It's a big step up from the FDX1 IMO, but more similar to it with the 3 DD drivers and the boosted sub bass and upper mids. This IEM is hard to get a good fit with (huge nozzles) and it needs some additional damping mod (easy DIY) and deserves a really good cable and source. But then it's VERY dynamic, has excellent detail, layering and soundstage and perfect timbre.

I love both, the 3DT is more intense and lively, the M9 is more relaxing and comfortable, laying out the musical details in front of you.
How is 3DT a lot better than FDX1 when it's the same price? :laughing:

Its a side grade/small upgrade with 8 core silver cable. Even with an 8 core silver cable which makes it as engaging as the FDX1. I only got it because my friend was selling it used below half its msrp.

Dont use water. I use 99% alcohol to clean all my earphones/cables/Daps.

The stock M9 cables hold it back quite substantially. Kinber cables sound even worse and make them even warmer and darker. 8-16 core silver cables are the way to go for the IER-M9

The UM3DT looks to have quite a different sound signature compared to the FDX1 when stock. Can you link the mod?

Personally I've been looking at the Blessing 2 Dusk as an upgrade over the FDX1 but I've been diverting my audio budget to other tech stuff
I've also been thinking about maybe going for the Blessing 2. Will the Blessing 2 be a real upgrade over FDX1?

May 24, 2021 at 3:04 AM Post #1,219 of 1,383
Blessing 2 has a nicer midrange than the FD01,
But the bass sounds like an old school subwoofer from a car... Exactly the same feeling.
And the highs are more rolled off.

As fit goes, it's larger than the JVC.
One note bass then?

The highs are what's stopping me from getting the B2D as I'm not sure how I would like it.

How is 3DT a lot better than FDX1 when it's the same price?
Price has very little to do with how good an iem/headphone is.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #1,224 of 1,383
Hey everyone, I had an unfortunate accident yesterday knocking my Ipad off a table with the headphone's attached. The 3.5mm connector took the brunt of the fall.

https://i.imgur.com/JaiMyil.jpg

Does anyone who changed out their cable want to sell me their stock cable? If not, does have any recommendations on quality aftermarket cables? I'm fairly new to the high end IEM world, so I'm not quite sure what I should be looking for in a cable. I do really like the aesthetics and feeling of the stock cable and would prefer that to some of the braided designs that I've seen linked in this thread. I reached out to JVC and they said that they don't carry spare parts for the FDX1.

Jun 13, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #1,225 of 1,383
Hey everyone, I had an unfortunate accident yesterday knocking my Ipad off a table with the headphone's attached. The 3.5mm connector took the brunt of the fall.

Does anyone who changed out their cable want to sell me their stock cable? If not, does have any recommendations on quality aftermarket cables? I'm fairly new to the high end IEM world, so I'm not quite sure what I should be looking for in a cable. I do really like the aesthetics and feeling of the stock cable and would prefer that to some of the braided designs that I've seen linked in this thread. I reached out to JVC and they said that they don't carry spare parts for the FDX1.

If you like the stock cable (which IMO seems like a pretty good quality one), an electronics repair place (or a friend who can solder) should be able to replace the 3.5mm TRS plug for you, which can be purchased very cheaply.

Non-braided non-memory wire cable options do seem a bit limited- though there are a lot of generic cables you can search through on ebay etc... haven't tried them but ONSO make some nice looking non-braided cables at various price points.

There are some IEM cable specific threads divided by price bracket on here that should be able to suggest something for you (I forget their names, something like "budget IEM cable thread" etc...)

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2021 at 10:19 PM Post #1,226 of 1,383

What filter do you prefer using with the FDX1?

I have two cables for use with different cables. Warmer cable with the filterless and brighter cable with the moondrop filter (close to the medium wool filter)

Jun 15, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #1,228 of 1,383
Jun 24, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #1,229 of 1,383
I got the new EP-FX10 tips for the FDX1 a while ago, I really like them. Super comfortable and a good upgrade to the FX9 tips.
I was comparing these and the Senn HD58X today, and it's crazy how the FDX1 is a better technical performer than those. Never thought I would prefer an IEM to a full size open back, but I do. Without EQ I like the Sennheiser tonality more, but with EQ the FDX1 is definitely better in terms of technical performance and sound quality, it's pretty close to what I remember the Focal Elex being actually. I'm now looking for a systemwide parametric EQ solution for mobile devices, too bad I can't use Equalizer APO on iOS or Android.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back