Unique Melody 3D Terminator 3DT Announcement Thread
Apr 7, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #826 of 1,469
I wouldnt say they are better. They are very different IEMs. With the 2 BAs and the Magnetostaic the Fusions have absolutely lusicious mids and detail retrieval with really excelent transition from upper mid to lower treble and a nice treble extension. At the same time the 10mm DD is really well controlled with a lot more depth ad weight to the bass. Whereas many IEMs are either mid-centric or treble-centric or bass-centric, it's like the Fusions so well balanced and cohesive with the mids, linking the the bass and subbass to the treble. They're beautiful IEMs but in my CIEM version they are much warmer than the 3DT. The CIEMs are even warmer with far more bass presence than the Fusion UIEM, which I had first. It's not that the 3DT is more detailed with more clarity and engagement - they both have that - The 3DT with less warmth is a lot airier, giving it a sense of presence if that makes sense. They both offer hours of fatigue free immersion with the Fusion bringing more weight and warmth. If I only had one of them, I'd be perfectly happy with either. I put in the fusions when I want to shut out the world. I hope that makes sense.
Perfectly, also, that convinced me that I should not go for Fusion. I love how airy 3DT sound, and it never fails to amaze me how crisp 3DT sounds with zero listening fatigue. I think it is a regular trait of UM's tuning, at least that's how it has been with 3DT and Mirage for me.

Apr 7, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #827 of 1,469
C87D840E-9A36-4143-BE0D-E5260017CF24.jpeg
stock vs filter attached

Measurements with 3M micropore tape strips of different widths:

(DF compensated; red = UM 3DT stock, yellow = 50% nozzle coverage, blue = 80% nozzle coverage, green = 90% nozzle coverage, gray = JVC FDX1 w. ref. filter)
Mq8UUMv.jpg

Blue (80% nozzle coverage) is my favorite tuning. Note that even though lower treble is damped, high treble extension is actually improved by 80% coverage or more.

Very nice IEM overall, gives the JVC FDX1 a run for its money.

Apr 7, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #828 of 1,469
Measurements with 3M micropore tape strips of different widths:

(DF compensated; red = UM 3DT stock, yellow = 50% nozzle coverage, blue = 80% nozzle coverage, green = 90% nozzle coverage, gray = JVC FDX1 w. ref. filter)
Mq8UUMv.jpg

Blue (80% nozzle coverage) is my favorite tuning. Note that even though lower treble is damped, high treble extension is actually improved by 80% coverage or more.

Very nice IEM overall, gives the JVC FDX1 a run for its money.
👍 Nice, I will try this as well.

Apr 8, 2021 at 4:46 AM Post #829 of 1,469
@tgx78 @james444
You did it... In a moment of weakness I followed the impulse and ordered the 3DT.
Let's see! Curious how it will stack up against the modded FD02, EX1000, the Moondrop Blessing 2 and the Sony IER-M9

Apr 8, 2021 at 5:03 AM Post #830 of 1,469
@tgx78 @james444
You did it... In a moment of weakness I followed the impulse and ordered the 3DT.
Let's see! Curious how it will stack up against the modded FD02, EX1000, the Moondrop Blessing 2 and the Sony IER-M9
What's FD02?

I believe the 3DT outperforms Blessing 2. EX1000 and M9, not too sure.

Apr 8, 2021 at 5:20 AM Post #831 of 1,469
What's FD02?

I believe the 3DT outperforms Blessing 2. EX1000 and M9, not too sure.
Modded JVC FD02, almost identical to the more expensive FD01.
Mod based on @james444 JVC FD01 idea, using 3M Micropore tape on nozzle.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/jvc-ha-fd01-class-s-solidege.868414/post-15455206

Let's see about those comparisons. All three, the B2, EX1k and M9 are very good at some things.
If the 3DT can bring a new and different mix of very good characteristics it will be a success.
It does bring a bonus to the competition - I think it looks gorgeous and I love the case :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2021 at 5:42 AM Post #832 of 1,469
Modded JVC FD02, almost identical to the more expensive FD01.
Mod based on @james444 JVC FD01 idea, using 3M Micropore tape on nozzle.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/jvc-ha-fd01-class-s-solidege.868414/post-15455206

Let's see about those comparisons. All three, the B2, EX1k and M9 are very good at some things.
If the 3DT can bring a new and different mix of very good characteristics it will be a success.
It does bring a bonus to the competition - I think it looks gorgeous and I love the case :ksc75smile:
You sure do love your JVC FD02 :beyersmile:

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #833 of 1,469
I can pretty much guarantee that it will. It certainly has some impressive unique characteristics, in large part by virtue of its design.

Apr 9, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #834 of 1,469
If you really want to hear good the 3DT's bass performs (and how deep it can go in a deep deep clean space), find a nice HD version of Massive Attack's "Paradise Circus" to play! Again you must have a shallow fit with the body but still have ear tips that will give you a great seal. Value for the dollar, I haven't heard a better multi-driver earphone (when considering instrument separation, timbre, details, layering of sound and bass)!

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2021 at 9:20 PM Post #835 of 1,469
If you really want to hear good the 3DT's bass performs (and deep it can go in a deep deep clean space), find a nice HD version of Massive Attack's "Paradise Circus" to play! Again you must have a shallow fit with the body but still have ear tips that will give you a great seal. Value for the dollar, I haven't heard a better multidriver earphone (when considering instrument separation, timbre, details, layering of sound and bass)!
JVC Spiral dots will give you that shallow seal!

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2021 at 11:13 PM Post #836 of 1,469
JVC Spiral dots will give you that shallow seal!
I love JVC Spiral Dots, but they didn't work for me on the 3DT. So, I'm using the LL Fina Audio E-Type. It has been the perfect tip for me on the 3DT.

Apr 10, 2021 at 12:07 AM Post #837 of 1,469
If you really want to hear good the 3DT's bass performs (and deep it can go in a deep deep clean space), find a nice HD version of Massive Attack's "Paradise Circus" to play! Again you must have a shallow fit with the body but still have ear tips that will give you a great seal. Value for the dollar, I haven't heard a better multidriver earphone (when considering instrument separation, timbre, details, layering of sound and bass)!
For that particular type of fit the best eartips are Azla Sednaearfit tips. I use the light short M.

Apr 10, 2021 at 6:55 AM Post #838 of 1,469
I love JVC Spiral Dots, but they didn't work for me on the 3DT. So, I'm using the LL Fina Audio E-Type. It has been the perfect tip for me on the 3DT.
That's ironic to me because the only earphone ive got to fit perfectly with spiral dots is 3DT...

Apr 10, 2021 at 7:04 AM Post #839 of 1,469
That's ironic to me because the only earphone ive got to fit perfectly with spiral dots is 3DT...
Well, apart from fingerprint, one other medium of identifying an individual is ear contour or ear shape...

Apr 10, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #840 of 1,469
I tried some tips, and can share with you my thoughts. I never used stock cable and tips.

• Comply Comfort tsx-500 size M: good seal, sound gets darker, but not too dark, btw I don't use them anymore because they are difficult to clean;
  • Spinfit CP155 size L: too big, nozzle diameter is 5.5 mm and they also go too deep into my ear canals; Sound is more airy and with less bass than other tips I tried;
  • Spinfit CP100 size M: nozzle diameter is 4 mm, a bit too small, and also they haven't enough seal (I bought wrong size, my bad); Bass is better than CP155 and they sound overall balanced;
  • Spinfit CP145 size L: the best of the Spinfit tips, nozzle diameter is 4.5 mm, that is perfect to me. Sound is airy and I feel bigger soundstage but not enough punch in the bass region;
  • JVC Spiral Dots size ML: till now maybe the best sound imo, but I struggle to insert the right earpiece in cause of very very piercing driver flex that pinches my eardrum. I tried to put it inside while music is playing and it is better, but I always afraid that my eardrum hurts and I don't use anymore;
  • KZ starline, size M: they are very similar to Spiral Dots, same problem when I insert the right earphone. I think my ear is the problem;
  • Blon B01 eartips size L: not enough seal;
  • Azla Sedna Xelastec: I ordered them, I will let you know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back