Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 Dual Carbon IEM...available in the US!
Apr 15, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #1,186 of 1,383
Thinking about an upgrade for my JVC HA-FX850s. Something that didn't stick out so much would also be a plus. A bit of a basshead so a tight, bass slam is required. Would the FDX1s or FW01s work maybe?

Apr 16, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #1,187 of 1,383
Thinking about an upgrade for my JVC HA-FX850s. Something that didn't stick out so much would also be a plus. A bit of a basshead so a tight, bass slam is required. Would the FDX1s or FW01s work maybe?

I think you would need to EQ the FDX1 to get basshead level slam out of them. Based off my limited experience, I would recommend the Fiio FD5 as better fitting what you are looking for.

Apr 16, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #1,188 of 1,383
Haven't had 850s in a very long time- so take this with a HUGE grain of salt: I think bass-wise the FW01 would be closer- but I don't think it's necessarily an upgrade & it doesn't have the same open, airy sound I *think* I remember from 850. Personally not a huge fan of fw01, it has some nice properties and can shine with some mixes but I only like it consistently at low relaxed background listening volumes.

FDX1 IMO- though can only speak to FD01 DIY mod- personally prefer the fit, I mostly use the medium filter or no filter, bass is neutralish, good but doesn't quite have that tactile quality, will take EQ though I haven't tried pushing it beyond my iFI BL's boost switch. The thickest filter will also add a bit. (I think some people have suggested fdx1 bass is bit better than fd01).

I find FD01/x1 easier to recommend but I'm not certain it will satisfy bassheads. Suspect there are probably better overall alternatives than FW01 but not up to date on the lastest & greatest.

Last edited:
May 14, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #1,191 of 1,383
Guys, I've run into another problem and need help. My FD-X1s have been giving out a crackling sound (sort of like the ones a bonfire does) when I put them in my ear and listen to music. At first, it wasn't that bad but it's gotten progressively worse. I've not been treating them badly at all, I just keep them on the table and pick them up when I wanna listen to them.

What could be the cause of this and what does it mean? Will they stop working after a certain amount of time since they're getting worse over-time?

Please help, thanks. :)

May 14, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #1,192 of 1,383
Guys, I've run into another problem and need help. My FD-X1s have been giving out a crackling sound (sort of like the ones a bonfire does) when I put them in my ear and listen to music. At first, it wasn't that bad but it's gotten progressively worse. I've not been treating them badly at all, I just keep them on the table and pick them up when I wanna listen to them.

What could be the cause of this and what does it mean? Will they stop working after a certain amount of time since they're getting worse over-time?

Please help, thanks. :)
The sound happens when you are inserting the IEMs, or while playing music? If while inserting, could be driver flex from pressure building up in the IEMs with nowhere for the air to go... To reduce it, open your mouth wide while inserting them in your ears.

May 14, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #1,193 of 1,383
The sound happens when you are inserting the IEMs, or while playing music? If while inserting, could be driver flex from pressure building up in the IEMs with nowhere for the air to go... To reduce it, open your mouth wide while inserting them in your ears.
Happens when inserting and when I move my head at times or when the IEMs themselves move somehow.

May 14, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #1,194 of 1,383
Happens when inserting and when I move my head at times or when the IEMs themselves move somehow.
Post in thread 'Has anyone knowingly bought a bad out of the box headphone/bud/IEM with high hidden potential that makes them a great bang for the buck from cheap/free tinkering?'
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/has...rom-cheap-free-tinkering.933011/post-15632179

I almost always pull the top of my ear up and back, before inserting IEMs, to minimize driver flex. If you get driver flex when the IEMs just move a little, you probably should try to find ear tips that don’t seal as tightly.
723D8CFA-60F7-482A-9C85-F9A02DFEA53B.jpeg

Last edited:
May 15, 2021 at 12:59 AM Post #1,196 of 1,383
This is just driver flex?! Nothing serious?
Check the front vent carefully with a magnifying glass if you can see any debris blocking it. If there’s visible dirt in the vent hole I would try very carefully to get it out. But be careful, most likely there is a filter/damper installed on the inside, if you damage that it will change the tuning.

May 15, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #1,198 of 1,383
This is just driver flex?! Nothing serious

If it's not driver flex (in addition to trying different insertion, tips/fit, over-ear, check that the vents aren't clogged/blocked when inserted) and assuming it isn't source issue, it could be some type of connection issue either due to oxidation (easy fix- clean w/ brush-on deoxit), or looseness, cold solder joint on one of the connectors or headphone plug . Debris such as hair, lint, or even the nozzle filter material can get into headphone housing and make noise by contacting the driver's diaphragm, or the driver itself could be loose (think there was at least one such case reported in this thread). Or the set could just be bad.

Since you mention it happens when inserting & when moving your head, If this problem suddenly manifested in both earpieces my first non driver-flex guesss would be something to do with headphone jack, source socket or y-split.

Last edited:
May 19, 2021 at 1:36 AM Post #1,199 of 1,383
Check the front vent carefully with a magnifying glass if you can see any debris blocking it. If there’s visible dirt in the vent hole I would try very carefully to get it out. But be careful, most likely there is a filter/damper installed on the inside, if you damage that it will change the tuning.
I'm not an expert so I'll probably not mess with the damping. But it's happening on both sides I think so probably damping is not the issue.

If it's not driver flex (in addition to trying different insertion, tips/fit, over-ear, check that the vents aren't clogged/blocked when inserted) and assuming it isn't source issue, it could be some type of connection issue either due to oxidation (easy fix- clean w/ brush-on deoxit), or looseness, cold solder joint on one of the connectors or headphone plug . Debris such as hair, lint, or even the nozzle filter material can get into headphone housing and make noise by contacting the driver's diaphragm, or the driver itself could be loose (think there was at least one such case reported in this thread). Or the set could just be bad.

Since you mention it happens when inserting & when moving your head, If this problem suddenly manifested in both earpieces my first non driver-flex guesss would be something to do with headphone jack, source socket or y-split.
Hmm, since it's happening in both sides, it could be an issue with the wire indeed.
Lately I've been feeling it less, but do you think this can lead to my IEMs failing?

I have never heard of driver flex being a problem, other than the annoyance, of course... But others may have other thoughts / experience...
But what can lead to this starting to happen all of a sudden when before it didn't? I'll try to ignore it for now, but I hope it doesn't lead to anything bad happening to the IEMs. If something happens, I'll come back here of course. :p

Thanks guys!

May 19, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #1,200 of 1,383
I'm not an expert so I'll probably not mess with the damping. But it's happening on both sides I think so probably damping is not the issue.

Hmm, since it's happening in both sides, it could be an issue with the wire indeed.
Lately I've been feeling it less, but do you think this can lead to my IEMs failing?

But what can lead to this starting to happen all of a sudden when before it didn't? I'll try to ignore it for now, but I hope it doesn't lead to anything bad happening to the IEMs. If something happens, I'll come back here of course. :p

Thanks guys!
Never heard of damage occurring due to driver flex. Not saying it cannot happen, just that I’ve never heard of it... You might want to use the method @IEMusic posted above just to avoid the experience...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back