Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 Dual Carbon IEM...available in the US!
May 23, 2021 at 1:27 AM Post #1,201 of 1,383
Guys, I was listening to my FDX1s just now, and they all of a sudden sounded so detailed. I just went "wow". :smile:
They sounded nice. I've been judging them badly saying they're not worth 300 but I think I see the sound quality now.

Are IEMs like Andromedas a lot better in this regard (of the possibility of wow-ing me at times)?

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 1:35 AM Post #1,202 of 1,383
Guys, I was listening to my FDX1s just now, and they all of a sudden sounded so detailed. I just went "wow". :smile:
They sounded nice. I've been judging them badly saying they're not worth 300 but I think I see the sound quality now.

Are IEMs like Andromedas a lot better in this regard (of the possibility of wow-ing me at times)?
IF detail is what you're after, no

I've heard the andros before and I didn't like their warmer and less detailed sound.

May 23, 2021 at 2:50 AM Post #1,204 of 1,383
Alright, but do they still "wow" you? :laughing:
Only wow I got was how meh they sounded despite all the hype :D

Was pretty disappointed.

This was before I got the FDX1 and was still looking for a better pair of iems. The Andros never made it into my potential buy list

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 5:05 AM Post #1,205 of 1,383
Only wow I got was how meh they sounded despite all the hype :D

Was pretty disappointed.

This was before I got the FDX1 and was still looking for a better pair of iems. The Andros never made it into my potential buy list
I just feel the same about Andros (OG and 2020). I have FDX1 and Dunu SA6 and i believe that all Andro versions, that i've heard, have less transparency and details in low mid in compared to the 2 above. FDX1 is still my choice when i listen to classical/soundtrack.
Btw, after rolling so many tips, i have found that Final Type C clear version tips provide best seal and best sound sig for me. Love these earphones so much!

May 23, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #1,206 of 1,383
Hmm.. so my next planned upgrade being something like the Andromeda might not be a good idea then. Would you say IER-M9 is better and a worthier upgrade than Andromeda since you have it?

Guys, two things I need help with:

1. When I fiddle with the wire on my FDX1 sometimes they give a buzz sound. Is this driver flex as well?

2. I need to clean FDX1 shells. Is it okay if I clean the outer metal parts with very light water and soap? Or will it go through the gaps between the joints and ruin the drivers?

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #1,207 of 1,383
Hmm.. so my next planned upgrade being something like the Andromeda might not be a good idea then. Would you say IER-M9 is better and a worthier upgrade than Andromeda since you have it?

1. When I fiddle with the wire on my FDX1 sometimes they give a buzz sound. Is this driver flex as well?

2. I need to clean FDX1 shells. Is it okay if I clean the outer metal parts with very light water and soap? Or will it go through the gaps between the joints and ruin the drivers?
1) mmmm maybe a wiring (internal) problem

2) rubbing alcohol, just to
Be sure

May 23, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #1,208 of 1,383
nvm

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #1,210 of 1,383
Regarding cleaning, I'd rather use a soft cloth with medical grade alcohol to clean the shell.

Regarding an upgrade to the FDX1, the question mainly is what you are looking for, and secondly what source your are using.

The IER-M9 is clearly a much better IEM overall, but also very different in it's character.
The M9 is extremely refined and precise, very detailed while at the same time having a more natural timbre than most BA IEMs. It presents music in all it's nuances and detail without sounding analytical. But it's on the relaxed side of presentation, not very dynamic. In that sense the FDX1 is maybe more engaging. I do feel though that the M9 needs a really good source to show what it's capable of.

If you like the FDX1 and just want a big upgrade, take a look at the UM 3DT. It's a big step up from the FDX1 IMO, but more similar to it with the 3 DD drivers and the boosted sub bass and upper mids. This IEM is hard to get a good fit with (huge nozzles) and it needs some additional damping mod (easy DIY) and deserves a really good cable and source. But then it's VERY dynamic, has excellent detail, layering and soundstage and perfect timbre.

I love both, the 3DT is more intense and lively, the M9 is more relaxing and comfortable, laying out the musical details in front of you.

May 23, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #1,211 of 1,383
Regarding cleaning, I'd rather use a soft cloth with medical grade alcohol to clean the shell.

Regarding an upgrade to the FDX1, the question mainly is what you are looking for, and secondly what source your are using.

The IER-M9 is clearly a much better IEM overall, but also very different in it's character.
The M9 is extremely refined and precise, very detailed while at the same time having a more natural timbre than most BA IEMs. It presents music in all it's nuances and detail without sounding analytical. But it's on the relaxed side of presentation, not very dynamic. In that sense the FDX1 is maybe more engaging. I do feel though that the M9 needs a really good source to show what it's capable of.

If you like the FDX1 and just want a big upgrade, take a look at the UM 3DT. It's a big step up from the FDX1 IMO, but more similar to it with the 3 DD drivers and the boosted sub bass and upper mids. This IEM is hard to get a good fit with (huge nozzles) and it needs some additional damping mod (easy DIY) and deserves a really good cable and source. But then it's VERY dynamic, has excellent detail, layering and soundstage and perfect timbre.

I love both, the 3DT is more intense and lively, the M9 is more relaxing and comfortable, laying out the musical details in front of you.
May not be relevant but I see that you have the EX-1000. How would you compare them with the FDX1?

May 23, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #1,212 of 1,383
May not be relevant but I see that you have the EX-1000. How would you compare them with the FDX1?
The EX1k is quite an unusual IEM, without EQ it sounds a little dry and flat, with excellent bass extension and texture and at times a bit sharp due to the treble spike.

Toranku posted a PEQ setting that changes the frequency response to something like Crinacle's personal preference, with boosted sub bass and a harman-ish upper midrange boost. With that setting the EX1k becomes an excellent bass head IEM with smooth and detailed midrange. That setting really shows off the effortless, bottomless and fast bass. With PEQ it really shows that it's a much better IEM than the FDX1. It also stays cleaner and has better separation in busy passages. The UM 3DT is even cleaner and has even better separation though, and a deeper soundstage with better imaging, the EX1k has the faster and more detailed bass and wide stage, but not very deep and imaging is actually not that good.
Without EQ I still preferred the smooth and engaging sound of the JVC.

I rarely listen to the EX1k, but I want to keep it for those special times and as a reference.

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #1,213 of 1,383

Its a side grade/small upgrade with 8 core silver cable. Even with an 8 core silver cable which makes it as engaging as the FDX1. I only got it because my friend was selling it used below half its msrp.

Dont use water. I use 99% alcohol to clean all my earphones/cables/Daps.

The stock M9 cables hold it back quite substantially. Kinber cables sound even worse and make them even warmer and darker. 8-16 core silver cables are the way to go for the IER-M9

The UM3DT looks to have quite a different sound signature compared to the FDX1 when stock. Can you link the mod?

Personally I've been looking at the Blessing 2 Dusk as an upgrade over the FDX1 but I've been diverting my audio budget to other tech stuff

May 24, 2021 at 12:52 AM Post #1,215 of 1,383
Personally I've been looking at the Blessing 2 Dusk as an upgrade over the FDX1 but I've been diverting my audio budget to other tech stuff

On that front, avoid bicycles and cameras, is all I can say :money_mouth:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back