Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 Dual Carbon IEM...available in the US!
Jul 8, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #916 of 1,383
Anyone know the actual sensitivity/efficiency of these guys? It says 103dB/mW but they seem really hard to power judging by where I have the 9038S at. Is it possible it's 103dB/Vrms?

EDIT: Nevermind. Solved that mystery with the FW update for 9038S and capping max volume.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020 at 8:43 PM Post #917 of 1,383
I almost hate to ask but is cable burn-in a thing? I’m trying to be hopeful re Tripowon Zonie balanced cable I bought for $20 bucks. Bejeebers FDX1 treble is scalding now. The $ I’ve thrown away on cables. Filling a small desk drawer.

Jul 8, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #918 of 1,383
I almost hate to ask but is cable burn-in a thing? I’m trying to be hopeful re Tripowon Zonie balanced cable I bought for $20 bucks. Bejeebers FDX1 treble is scalding now. The $ I’ve thrown away on cables. Filling a small desk drawer.
Some will probably say yes cable burn in is a thing. But... No. No it's not. Of course this is probably a can of worms you shouldnt open on this forum at all.

Jul 8, 2020 at 9:07 PM Post #919 of 1,383

It is not recommended to set fire to cables, but you do you... you know, within the limits prescribed by local statute and due ethical consideration.

(assuming it is actually hotter treble and not an unnoticed increase in volume or alteration in fit: more likely resistive connection due to poor construction quality or dirty connectors . Possible poor match with your source's balanced amp)

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020 at 10:02 PM Post #920 of 1,383
Are you using the nozzles that contain the most sound dampening material ?

If the hot treble only started after going from the stock SE cable to balanced, then I would check the settings on your DAC/DAP/amp.

Jul 8, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #921 of 1,383
Cable burn in is DEFINITELY NOT audible. Youre not pushing nearly enough power through the cables for electromigration to happen.

Jul 9, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #922 of 1,383
Are you using the nozzles that contain the most sound dampening material ?

If the hot treble only started after going from the stock SE cable to balanced, then I would check the settings on your DAC/DAP/amp.
Dap no sound modulations on. Neither SE cable nor Balanced Linsoul LSC08 affected audio as previously described. FDX1 sounded fantastic paired with 4.4 Linsoul but the cable terribly stiff and hellaciously microphonical. Returned the Zonie. Looked and felt really nice but FDX1 sounded atrocious. I’m surprised a cable could have so drastic an effect

Jul 9, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #923 of 1,383
Anybody familiar with a 4.4 cable with similar wires as Linsoul LSC08 but with soft cable (not stiff fabric)?
  • Material: 6N OCC single-crystal copper
  • Number of strands per wire: 88 (60 at 0.05 mm thickness and 28 at 0.08 mm thickness)

Jul 15, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #925 of 1,383
So, I was going to buy the Sedna XELASTEC tips for these guys, but then backed out because I was scared they'd affect the sound too much. Instead, I bought the Azla Sedna Light (I had been using the regular Sedna shorts) and I'm super happy with the change. They cause the IEM to stick out a little further but it noticiably improved stage and treble response. I switched back to the green tips from my custom white ones and they sound fantastic.

Jul 15, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #926 of 1,383
So, I was going to buy the Sedna XELASTEC tips for these guys, but then backed out because I was scared they'd affect the sound too much. Instead, I bought the Azla Sedna Light (I had been using the regular Sedna shorts) and I'm super happy with the change. They cause the IEM to stick out a little further but it noticiably improved stage and treble response. I switched back to the green tips from my custom white ones and they sound fantastic.
If it sounds good to you now, and fits well, I really wouldn’t worry about the Xelastec tips. If you get a hankering to purchase and try out something new later on, you can get them then. They are yet another ear tip option, which is a good thing, but are not some revolutionary item.

Jul 15, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #927 of 1,383
If it sounds good to you now, and fits well, I really wouldn’t worry about the Xelastec tips. If you get a hankering to purchase and try out something new later on, you can get them then. They are yet another ear tip option, which is a good thing, but are not some revolutionary item.
My ears are finicky, but with a foam mod, the regular length Sednas seem to be perfect. I wanted to get the Xelastec because of the difficult nature of my ears, and for isolation, but ultimately, audio quality is top priority and they sound perfect with the tips I have on there. The sedna shorts worked well but I realized that the contact with FDX1's metal housing was irritating my left ear canal. I thought it was the tips themselves, but I was wrong. I now have the shorts on my T4 and I am really enjoying them again, as well. (it's hard to deviate from the FDX1/HD6XX and 9038S combo, though).

Jul 15, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #928 of 1,383
My ears are finicky, but with a foam mod, the regular length Sednas seem to be perfect. I wanted to get the Xelastec because of the difficult nature of my ears, and for isolation, but ultimately, audio quality is top priority and they sound perfect with the tips I have on there. The sedna shorts worked well but I realized that the contact with FDX1's metal housing was irritating my left ear canal. I thought it was the tips themselves, but I was wrong. I now have the shorts on my T4 and I am really enjoying them again, as well. (it's hard to deviate from the FDX1/HD6XX and 9038S combo, though).
If you’re getting a good seal with your current Sednas, that’s great. The Xelastec tips don’t inherently provide any additional isolation, they only provide a better chance that you will get a good seal, which then contributes to isolation.

Jul 16, 2020 at 4:57 AM Post #929 of 1,383
The only thing holding me back rn from getting these is 1. going through the thread reading about the qc.. apparently people getting different sounding sets? and 2. my sensitivity in the 4khz range and sensitivity to kicks, claps and snares.. at this price point I fell I'm taking a gamble. My starfields are too peaky for me and I was told they wouldn't be an issue for my sensitivity :frowning2:

Jul 16, 2020 at 5:46 AM Post #930 of 1,383
The only thing holding me back rn from getting these is 1. going through the thread reading about the qc.. apparently people getting different sounding sets? and 2. my sensitivity in the 4khz range and sensitivity to kicks, claps and snares.. at this price point I fell I'm taking a gamble. My starfields are too peaky for me and I was told they wouldn't be an issue for my sensitivity :frowning2:
Before getting your next IEM, perhaps look into an EQ instead. I share some of your hot spots. On the JVC HA-FD01 I use the PEQ in my Radsone ES100 to do a cut around 4K
JVC HA FD01 b.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back