Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 Dual Carbon IEM...available in the US!
Jul 26, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #946 of 1,383
So I ordered the Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 to Germany and received them a few days ago. But I am sorry to say that I regret the purchase.

Build quality and design are superb. They feel premium, the parts are machined well, the design allows great comfort with the cable worn over the ear and straight down, the cable itself feels very durable, etc.

But what's with the sound? This is worth creating a hype over? My initial impressions were really poor, so I took a few days to get adjusted, tried the different filters and also checked if I have a defective pair. But since both units are well-matched, I guess it's safe to say that there is no issue. Unless Drop pulled a sneaky on us and massively reduced the quality of the product in secret after the hype took off.

These have very poor resolution, in my opinion. The bass is bloated with little texture, poor decay and slow transients. The quantity isn't overdone at all, but the low-end lacks any kind of definition. The midrange sounds off - I have read so many impressions of how great the tonality is but the upper midrange is completely messed up - no matter which filter. Voices remain shrill, which is due to audible distortion. I installed some SpinFit which helped a bit to cut back upper mids, but the FDX1 fail to pick up multiple layers in tracks, like doubled voices. What really disappointed me, though, is the treble. It's perhaps one of the worst I heard in a while. Cymbal splashes are missing. There is no shimmer, no sense of space at all. Sadly, when swiping with a sine tone generator, I can confirm it. When I play 8 kHz or 9 kHz, I don't hear a 8 or 9 kHz tone, I hear noise. So either both my units (L+R) are defective, or Drop is doing something fishy. (Or, but that's a big maybe, people get blinded by the great build quality and a really misleading frequency response.)

This is probably the best example of why people should stop reading frequency graphs. If the drivers were up to the task, had more speed, faster decay, I am sure the tuning would work well. But I'd say all of these have clearly better sonic qualities: Etymotic ER2, Azla Horizon, Tin HiFi P1, qdc Neptune, NF Audio NA1, CCA C16, MoonDrop Kanas Pro, Reecho x Peacock Spring.
Sorry they don’t sound good to you. I know this is controversial, and while I’m not fanatical about it in the least, the sound of my FDX1 units changed dramatically over time with breaking them in. The treble was harsh and the bass was weak and muddy at first. I have never had an IEM’s sound change as much as the FDX1’s sound did over time. The resolution on mine is clearly superior to my ER2.

BTW, nice photos!

Jul 26, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #947 of 1,383
Thank you for the feedback, @IEMusic, @Raketen, @seanwee!
It seems that I need to dig deeper to find out what is going on with my pair. I would really like it to sound as other describe.

I plan to reduce my collection of 20+ IEM down to 4 pairs and I wanted the JVC to take the spot of the cabled backup IEM. I hope I can fix the issues (I will check the filters, maybe actually let the driver move for a while, see if I can make some decent THD measurements, ...). Else, the final E4000 will take the spot.

Jul 26, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #948 of 1,383
It seems that I need to dig deeper to find out what is going on with my pair. I would really like it to sound as other describe.

I plan to reduce my collection of 20+ IEM down to 4 pairs and I wanted the JVC to take the spot of the cabled backup IEM. I hope I can fix the issues (I will check the filters, maybe actually let the driver move for a while, see if I can make some decent THD measurements, ...). Else, the final E4000 will take the spot.
I just have to ask, what's the "primary cabled IEM"?

Jul 26, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #949 of 1,383
So I ordered the Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 to Germany and received them a few days ago. But I am sorry to say that I regret the purchase.

_KE20034.jpg

Build quality and design are superb. They feel premium, the parts are machined well, the design allows great comfort with the cable worn over the ear and straight down, the cable itself feels very durable, etc.

But what's with the sound? This is worth creating a hype over? My initial impressions were really poor, so I took a few days to get adjusted, tried the different filters and also checked if I have a defective pair. But since both units are well-matched, I guess it's safe to say that there is no issue. Unless Drop pulled a sneaky on us and massively reduced the quality of the product in secret after the hype took off.

These have very poor resolution, in my opinion. The bass is bloated with little texture, poor decay and slow transients. The quantity isn't overdone at all, but the low-end lacks any kind of definition. The midrange sounds off - I have read so many impressions of how great the tonality is but the upper midrange is completely messed up - no matter which filter. Voices remain shrill, which is due to audible distortion. I installed some SpinFit which helped a bit to cut back upper mids, but the FDX1 fail to pick up multiple layers in tracks, like doubled voices. What really disappointed me, though, is the treble. It's perhaps one of the worst I heard in a while. Cymbal splashes are missing. There is no shimmer, no sense of space at all. Sadly, when swiping with a sine tone generator, I can confirm it. When I play 8 kHz or 9 kHz, I don't hear a 8 or 9 kHz tone, I hear noise. So either both my units (L+R) are defective, or Drop is doing something fishy. (Or, but that's a big maybe, people get blinded by the great build quality and a really misleading frequency response.)

This is probably the best example of why people should stop reading frequency graphs. If the drivers were up to the task, had more speed, faster decay, I am sure the tuning would work well. But I'd say all of these have clearly better sonic qualities: Etymotic ER2, Azla Horizon, Tin HiFi P1, qdc Neptune, NF Audio NA1, CCA C16, MoonDrop Kanas Pro, Reecho x Peacock Spring.

_KE20036-Bearbeitet.jpg
How much did you pay for it? Isnt it very expensive for us europeans to use drop since it is in the US? (import fees and VAT...)

Jul 26, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #950 of 1,383
How much did you pay for it? Isnt it very expensive for us europeans to use drop since it is in the US? (import fees and VAT...)
Ehmm... In Europe the MSRP includes tax, in USA it doesn't. But you have to pay it anyway. You're not paying anything you shouldn't be paying (like fees). So in Germany it's usually 19% (now it's 16% until the end of 2020) but in Denmark it's even 25%.
The total was 265 € (including tax on product and shipping). If this item were sold in Europe, the MSRP would probably be just around that area.

I just have to ask, what's the "primary cabled IEM"?
So here are the 4 IEMs I want to use:
1. Apple AirPods Pro, because they are hella convenient, extremely comfortable and the ANC works really well. These are always in my pocket for a quick music fix, when I got to work (10mins), buy groceries, etc., and they also have a good mic. They're basically a necessity for my kind of lifestyle, though I would never use them to seriously listen to music in the way I listen to Classical or Jazz.
2. The backup IEM is for all uses where the AirPods Pro won't work. For example playing music files off a DAP (or DAC) that I don't want to stream or the Nintendo Switch. Also, when I charge the AirPods Pro or when I know I will need a while longer and I can get better sound without going audiophile-crazy (maybe consume a video on YouTube).
3. The audiophile IEM. In my case this is the 64 Audio A18t with a DUNU Blanche silver cable. These accompany me whenever I travel. But I won't pull out a Chord Hugo 2 or even set up the Mojo+Poly combo if I am not sure that I will be listening for at least 30 minutes.
4. The true audiophile IEM. For me, this is the final A8000. Technically one of the best IEM I ever heard and it sometimes sounds cleaner and more potent than the A18t, even. However, the tonality (especially treble) is not something to shuffle all kinds of music. I only use these in closed doors. (tia Fourté would have also fit the bill.)

Jul 26, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #951 of 1,383

_KE20034.jpg

_KE20036-Bearbeitet.jpg
I have similar complaints about the upper midrange. 4 kHz is very forward sounding to me. However, the FDX1 is the least offender in many IEMs I've tried, including the Etymotic ER-2SE and Sony MH755. In fact, I find most IEMs to be too much in this area.
I completely disagree with you about the bass and treble though. The bass to me sounds extremely tight and technical, far outperforming my other cheaper IEMs. And the treble, at least with the blue filter, sounds very extended and smooth to me.

Jul 26, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #952 of 1,383

Burn in for certain.. Throw on a different cable/ SPC thicker the better. You will be surprised. Give it some time. Initial listen is not the best. I wasn't floored by them either. It took an aftermarket cable and a good beat down before they sounded correct for me.
Carbon based dynamics. Beat them down good. They need it.

DSC07370.JPG
Penon Orbit with the FDX1

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #953 of 1,383
Burn in for certain.. Throw on a different cable/ SPC thicker the better. You will be surprised. Give it some time. Initial listen is not the best. I wasn't floored by them either. It took an aftermarket cable and a good beat down before they sounded correct for me.
Carbon based dynamics. Beat them down good. They need it.

DSC07370.JPG
Penon Orbit with the FDX1
Agreed. These guys made me a believer in both burn in and cable rolling, although burn in doesn't actually help most of the time. FDX1 is the exception, not the rule. :)

My FDX1 with Null Audio Ethos Mk IV
20200724_085939.jpg

Jul 27, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #954 of 1,383
Just received the TRN T3 8 core silver cable.

20200727_200114.jpg

Before I get into how it sounds, I noticed something I never took into consideration nor noticed before. The silver cable was noticeably louder when using the exact same volume level. This makes me wonder how many instances of a silver cable sounding clearer/brighter/airier was just down to silver being a better conductor, causing the iem to be ever so slightly louder. Same goes for 2 core vs 4 core vs 8 core cables.

I've only gotten 2 core upgrade cables before and so the volume difference wasn't as noticeable when going from copper to silver. I only noticed it this time because I was going from 2 core to 8 core.

And so instead of comparing cables the usual way I compared the cables with a matched volume and another with the spc cable being set ever so slightly louder than the silver cable.

The verdict? Silver still provides an ever so slightly clearer sound but it's only noticeable on specific parts on specific tracks. For the majority of songs I wouldn't be able to tell them apart, the louder one would sound "better". The largest difference would be the instrument separation, its slightly cleaner and more defined leading to the perception of a slightly deeper and wider soundstage.

So it it worth it to cable roll? If its less than 100 bucks I'd say yes, but above that it's just snake oil imo, expecially when your going into the territory of 4N vs 7N purity cables. Just turn the volume up :)

Edit: just remembered that there are expensive cables that are expensive because of the insulation/shielding like Teflon cables. I can't speak for those as I haven't tried any yet. But deep cryo treated cables etc aren't worth it.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #955 of 1,383

Very interesting that your impressions of the FDX1 are so negative.
I read your DUNU Luna review while I had the tour unit and found your description of it's characteristics absolutely spot on, so much so that I saw little sense in writing anything myself :wink: That, and your experience with other TOTL IEMs makes you a very serious voice in these forums.

But I am having a hard time finding an explanation for your experience with the FDX1, based on my own experience with the virtually identical modded and recabled FD02.
I've had the Kanas Pro and the FD02 has faster and tighter bass and none of the timbre issues (smearing and distortion) of the KPE.

I also tried to repeat the frequency sweep test and can't find anything wrong with it.

So aside from the unlikely possibility that it's a mere preference issue maybe there is something wrong with your FDX1.
The pair I received in January was defective, and there have been other reports of QC issues. If you measured them, could you post a graph for reference?

Jul 27, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #956 of 1,383
Thank you all for the comments and also the private messages! It really shows that Head-Fi is a great community.

So I finally managed to measure my IEM and it actually looks like they are below average quality. I held back with my reply I wanted to post yesterday, but it still holds true so I have hidden it in a spoiler tag. More insights will follow later.

So, a few more hours later, I am done with A/B-testing and experimenting. I like the JVC Spiral Dots and bought myself a few when I was in Japan. But in this case, they are not the best fit, at least for me. I receive a better tonality with SpinFit (not sure which, but they have an orange stem) and AZLA Sedna EarTips. The latter are also a stunning visual match.

But, my complaints remain. I found the comparison with NF Audio NA1 extremely interesting, because I had the same complaints with those. The upper midrange is overdone and it hurts timbre, realism, 3D rendering, soundstage depth, etc.. Somehow, when using the Lotoo PAW S1 and Chord Mojo, the NA1 has the tighter bass and more precise treble. At 169$, this should be a closer call. (If you are not familiar with them, I featured them here: https://www.klauseulenbach.de/category/blog/nf-audio/)
And I also find the AZLA Horizon to be a little bit more capable in all categories. Kanas Pro are the IEMs that are much better tuned, though. They sound richer and more vivid.

The JVC really bring out the tech kid in me because the design is just awesome. I really love the cable, too! But then again, switching from A18t or A8000 to the FXD1 results in a blurry mess that lacks all sonic qualities I search for when I want to get lost in music. The realism isn't there one bit. And because of that shrillness in the midrange, it makes it difficult for me to enjoy them for casual listening too. Just my impressions.

drop_jvc_hafdx1.png

I averaged 6 measurements (3 left, 3 right) with the green filter and it matches my impressions. Usually, my coupler picks up a more accurate treble than Crin's coupler and it usually shows in a higher sound pressure too. But not this time. The treble takes a dive and 6-10 kHz are at least 5 dB lower. This makes the 4 kHz region even more so prominent. But that by itself isn't the issue.

drop_jvc_hafdx1_thd.png

The THD is through the roof. I usually don't share THD measurements because my sound card for the input has quite some noise and to be fair I would have to carefully match every IEM to the same volume. But at listening volume, I measure 3,42% THD at 4,2 kHz and 2,4% at 8,3 kHz which is definitely higher than what I usually measure (A18t and A8000 are consistently below 0,5% with my setup). This could possibly explain what I am hearing.

However, I don't think my pair is defective. Left and right were carefully matched. I actually think Drop is saving some money and allowing a higher tolerance for quality control - which definitely brings down the price noticeably. (That's basically the main difference between ER3 and ER4.) I guess I just got unlucky.

All said, I don't want this pair and I don't want to sell it to anyone I know either. I will open a case with Drop and see if I have any luck returning them, even if it costs me shipping (again). Anyway, thanks again for your help, guys!

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #957 of 1,383
The THD is through the roof.

Sorry to read about your issues with the FDX1. Just want to share my own FR and THD comparison with the Dunu Luna, since I know that you also have measurements of the latter. Note that I don't trust my THD measurements either, so please ignore the absolute values. But I think for a comparison to the Luna, they should be sufficiently consistent.

Maybe this can be of help to you, if you decide to open a case with Drop.

Frequency Response (DF-compensated, blue = FDX1 reference filter, green = Luna)
D9DARjk.jpg

Distortion FDX1 reference filter @94dB
qTm3M9S.jpg

Distortion Luna @94dB
FLqfnlU.jpg

Personal remark, to my ears the FDX1 with reference (medium) filter sounds only slightly inferior to the Luna overall. The upper mids / lower treble bump is definitely no more offensive and higher treble sounds even a bit smoother, with similar presence and extension. According to my measurements, distortion is on a similar level for both IEMs, the slight rise of THD in bass for the FDX1 is of course due to FR difference and higher bass SPL than the Luna.

Jul 27, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #959 of 1,383
Are there any good replacement tips for these that fit smaller ears that anyone knows of?
I'm using Azla Sedna Earfit Lights, which come in sizes down to 10.4mm. Final Audio E Tips also work well, and their smalls are 10mm, I believe. Spinfit CP-155 and 500 should work, too, and have 10.5mm and 10mm smalls.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #960 of 1,383
Thank you all for the comments and also the private messages! It really shows that Head-Fi is a great community.

So I finally managed to measure my IEM and it actually looks like they are below average quality. I held back with my reply I wanted to post yesterday, but it still holds true so I have hidden it in a spoiler tag. More insights will follow later.

So, a few more hours later, I am done with A/B-testing and experimenting. I like the JVC Spiral Dots and bought myself a few when I was in Japan. But in this case, they are not the best fit, at least for me. I receive a better tonality with SpinFit (not sure which, but they have an orange stem) and AZLA Sedna EarTips. The latter are also a stunning visual match.

But, my complaints remain. I found the comparison with NF Audio NA1 extremely interesting, because I had the same complaints with those. The upper midrange is overdone and it hurts timbre, realism, 3D rendering, soundstage depth, etc.. Somehow, when using the Lotoo PAW S1 and Chord Mojo, the NA1 has the tighter bass and more precise treble. At 169$, this should be a closer call. (If you are not familiar with them, I featured them here: https://www.klauseulenbach.de/category/blog/nf-audio/)
And I also find the AZLA Horizon to be a little bit more capable in all categories. Kanas Pro are the IEMs that are much better tuned, though. They sound richer and more vivid.

The JVC really bring out the tech kid in me because the design is just awesome. I really love the cable, too! But then again, switching from A18t or A8000 to the FXD1 results in a blurry mess that lacks all sonic qualities I search for when I want to get lost in music. The realism isn't there one bit. And because of that shrillness in the midrange, it makes it difficult for me to enjoy them for casual listening too. Just my impressions.

drop_jvc_hafdx1.png

I averaged 6 measurements (3 left, 3 right) with the green filter and it matches my impressions. Usually, my coupler picks up a more accurate treble than Crin's coupler and it usually shows in a higher sound pressure too. But not this time. The treble takes a dive and 6-10 kHz are at least 5 dB lower. This makes the 4 kHz region even more so prominent. But that by itself isn't the issue.

The THD is through the roof. I usually don't share THD measurements because my sound card for the input has quite some noise and to be fair I would have to carefully match every IEM to the same volume. But at listening volume, I measure 3,42% THD at 4,2 kHz and 2,4% at 8,3 kHz which is definitely higher than what I usually measure (A18t and A8000 are consistently below 0,5% with my setup). This could possibly explain what I am hearing.

However, I don't think my pair is defective. Left and right were carefully matched. I actually think Drop is saving some money and allowing a higher tolerance for quality control - which definitely brings down the price noticeably. (That's basically the main difference between ER3 and ER4.) I guess I just got unlucky.

All said, I don't want this pair and I don't want to sell it to anyone I know either. I will open a case with Drop and see if I have any luck returning them, even if it costs me shipping (again). Anyway, thanks again for your help, guys!
Any updates on this? This makes me nervous, just ordered a pair hopefully they're in the good batch. If not I can return them but I was hoping to take them on a trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back