Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 Dual Carbon IEM...available in the US!
Jul 16, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #931 of 1,383
The only thing holding me back rn from getting these is 1. going through the thread reading about the qc.. apparently people getting different sounding sets? and 2. my sensitivity in the 4khz range and sensitivity to kicks, claps and snares.. at this price point I fell I'm taking a gamble. My starfields are too peaky for me and I was told they wouldn't be an issue for my sensitivity :frowning2:
If the Starfields are too peaky for you, then I would be wary of the FDX1, unless you are willing to apply some EQ if you find bothersome frequencies. This is a comparison with the most damped nozzle of the FDX1.

1594917708052.png

Jul 16, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #932 of 1,383
The only thing holding me back rn from getting these is 1. going through the thread reading about the qc.. apparently people getting different sounding sets? and 2. my sensitivity in the 4khz range and sensitivity to kicks, claps and snares.. at this price point I fell I'm taking a gamble. My starfields are too peaky for me and I was told they wouldn't be an issue for my sensitivity :frowning2:
If Starfields are too peaky for you, you might want to look at something like the Campfire Comet. Warm and smooth with rolled highs.

Jul 17, 2020 at 12:09 AM Post #933 of 1,383
The FD-X1 takes to EQ very well. I found that using the no-filter nozzle works best if you want to EQ the upper mids/lower treble because the transition from the lower mids (from 500 Hz to 2k) gives that part of the pinnea gain the proper amount of dB rise. With the filter nozzles, you gain linearity in the lower mids at the expense of clarity. Others might prefer the lower mids with the filters, but I found there isn't enough venting to relieve pressure when there's a lot of lower mid activity.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #934 of 1,383
The FD-X1 takes to EQ very well. I found that using the no-filter nozzle works best if you want to EQ the upper mids/lower treble because the transition from the lower mids (from 500 Hz to 2k) gives that part of the pinnea gain the proper amount of dB rise. With the filter nozzles, you gain linearity in the lower mids at the expense of clarity. Others might prefer the lower mids with the filters, but I found there isn't enough venting to relieve pressure when there's a lot of lower mid activity.
I agree, it's the best sounding IEM I have and it also responds the best to EQ over the others I own. I haven't tried with the no filter yet, will have to check it out. I always use the middle filter (blue, but originally supposed to be green according to Drop) with a pretty large 7 dB cut at 4 - 4.5 kHz. I think this has to do with my particular ear shape, because it sounds correct with that much less in the lower treble/upper mids, at least compared to my Sennheisers which are already mid forward. But that is all the EQ it needs, even the flat Etymotic ER2SE requires more EQ and it still doesn't sound as natural as the FDX1 to me.

Jul 19, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #935 of 1,383
I just bought a new set of the FDX1's.
Still using default nozzle, but with smallest tip.
Will comment later on experience.

Please comment (or link to) burn-in time for the FDX1's. Thx!!

Jul 19, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #936 of 1,383

burn in not really required (as long as you can ?)

but change your nozzle to the one with the thickest cotton

Jul 19, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #937 of 1,383

From the bottom of the product page:
“JVC recommends 48 hours of burn-in time at low volume”

I think I ran mine for 72 hrs.

Jul 19, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #938 of 1,383
I agree, it's the best sounding IEM I have and it also responds the best to EQ over the others I own. I haven't tried with the no filter yet, will have to check it out. I always use the middle filter (blue, but originally supposed to be green according to Drop) with a pretty large 7 dB cut at 4 - 4.5 kHz. I think this has to do with my particular ear shape, because it sounds correct with that much less in the lower treble/upper mids, at least compared to my Sennheisers which are already mid forward. But that is all the EQ it needs, even the flat Etymotic ER2SE requires more EQ and it still doesn't sound as natural as the FDX1 to me.

It's worth a shot trying out the other nozzles. Since admittedly I'm somewhat of a basshead, when I use the white nozzle, I add back in +3dB bass shelf below (+1.5 dB @) 125 Hz for some warmth and slam without muddying the mids, in addition to a -8dB cut at 4 kHz. I also cut the treble at 8 and 16 kHz to round off the upper range exactly to my liking. That "takes well to EQ" feature follows through at the top and bottom end of the FR, and I love it.

Jul 19, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #939 of 1,383
I think this is an ideal IEM for mastering engineers. For the short time I've listened to them, the FDX1's reveal poor vs. good recordings/masterings EASILY.
In listening to "mix tape" of both CD rips and vinyl rips, I could easily understand why certain 1980s CD masterings are not preferred over their vinyl counterparts (the CDs sound all-midrange). It's a bit like listening to the venerable HD600s -- poor CD masterings sound awful and vinyl rip of same album sounds much better. Maybe why a tube amp works so well with HD600s.
FDX1's are much like this, but w/o the HD6xx veil.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #940 of 1,383
Finally got my Null Audio Ethos IV cable for these guys and man, am I happy with it. I was worried about not being all that different going from SPC to SPC but that UPOCC copper really shines. I think the Type 5 Litz configuration helps too. I may have to try a pure silver cable in the future, yet, but this has struck a wonderful balance of clarity and fullness.

As for the cable itself, I'm quite impressed by it on its own merits. It doesn't have a real flashy "premium" look and is actually a twist instead of a braid (+ and - strands separated inside the same sheath, then twisted) but the hardware is very nice and you can tell it was made with love. The case it comes with is wonderful for storing my E1DA 9038S and cables along with my FDX1, too. My only complaint is that, though I requested it not have ear hooks, it arrived with them, and I'm scared to cut them off of a $70 cable. They are quite pliable, though, and I never wear these cable down, so I guess it's not the end of the world.

Jul 24, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #941 of 1,383
Finally got my Null Audio Ethos IV cable for these guys and man, am I happy with it. I was worried about not being all that different going from SPC to SPC but that UPOCC copper really shines. I think the Type 5 Litz configuration helps too. I may have to try a pure silver cable in the future, yet, but this has struck a wonderful balance of clarity and fullness.

As for the cable itself, I'm quite impressed by it on its own merits. It doesn't have a real flashy "premium" look and is actually a twist instead of a braid (+ and - strands separated inside the same sheath, then twisted) but the hardware is very nice and you can tell it was made with love. The case it comes with is wonderful for storing my E1DA 9038S and cables along with my FDX1, too. My only complaint is that, though I requested it not have ear hooks, it arrived with them, and I'm scared to cut them off of a $70 cable. They are quite pliable, though, and I never wear these cable down, so I guess it's not the end of the world.
They look really nice! If you don't me asking, how long did it take to get them?

Jul 26, 2020 at 4:17 AM Post #943 of 1,383
So I ordered the Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 to Germany and received them a few days ago. But I am sorry to say that I regret the purchase.

_KE20034.jpg

Build quality and design are superb. They feel premium, the parts are machined well, the design allows great comfort with the cable worn over the ear and straight down, the cable itself feels very durable, etc.

But what's with the sound? This is worth creating a hype over? My initial impressions were really poor, so I took a few days to get adjusted, tried the different filters and also checked if I have a defective pair. But since both units are well-matched, I guess it's safe to say that there is no issue. Unless Drop pulled a sneaky on us and massively reduced the quality of the product in secret after the hype took off.

These have very poor resolution, in my opinion. The bass is bloated with little texture, poor decay and slow transients. The quantity isn't overdone at all, but the low-end lacks any kind of definition. The midrange sounds off - I have read so many impressions of how great the tonality is but the upper midrange is completely messed up - no matter which filter. Voices remain shrill, which is due to audible distortion. I installed some SpinFit which helped a bit to cut back upper mids, but the FDX1 fail to pick up multiple layers in tracks, like doubled voices. What really disappointed me, though, is the treble. It's perhaps one of the worst I heard in a while. Cymbal splashes are missing. There is no shimmer, no sense of space at all. Sadly, when swiping with a sine tone generator, I can confirm it. When I play 8 kHz or 9 kHz, I don't hear a 8 or 9 kHz tone, I hear noise. So either both my units (L+R) are defective, or Drop is doing something fishy. (Or, but that's a big maybe, people get blinded by the great build quality and a really misleading frequency response.)

This is probably the best example of why people should stop reading frequency graphs. If the drivers were up to the task, had more speed, faster decay, I am sure the tuning would work well. But I'd say all of these have clearly better sonic qualities: Etymotic ER2, Azla Horizon, Tin HiFi P1, qdc Neptune, NF Audio NA1, CCA C16, MoonDrop Kanas Pro, Reecho x Peacock Spring.

_KE20036-Bearbeitet.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2020 at 5:18 AM Post #944 of 1,383
What really disappointed me, though, is the treble. It's perhaps one of the worst I heard in a while. Cymbal splashes are missing. There is no shimmer, no sense of space at all. Sadly, when swiping with a sine tone generator, I can confirm it. When I play 8 kHz or 9 kHz, I don't hear a 8 or 9 kHz tone, I hear noise.

This is probably the best example of why people should stop reading frequency graphs. If the drivers were up to the task, had more speed, faster decay, I am sure the tuning would work well. But I'd say all of these have clearly better sonic qualities: Etymotic ER2, Azla Horizon, Tin HiFi P1, qdc Neptune, NF Audio NA1, CCA C16, MoonDrop Kanas Pro, Reecho x Peacock Spring.

Don't know if your FDX1 are defective or not, but did a quick test w/ my FD01 (DIY medium filter): I hear distinct sine tones (not noise) up to the limit of my hearing, well past 10khz. I don't find them particularly spacious or airy (not best in class treble perhaps) but I hear cymbals fully (did a quick compare with over ears*). Also would not describe the bass as bloated - fairly true to the mix (could use a bit more speed/punch though).

FWIW I find ER2SE very good, but trying to ignore tonal preferences I'd consider fd01at least somewhat reflective of the price difference in performance.

*for instance w/ rolling cymbal at beginning of Grant Green - Maybe Tomorrow

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2020 at 7:11 AM Post #945 of 1,383
So I ordered the Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 to Germany and received them a few days ago. But I am sorry to say that I regret the purchase.

_KE20034.jpg

Build quality and design are superb. They feel premium, the parts are machined well, the design allows great comfort with the cable worn over the ear and straight down, the cable itself feels very durable, etc.

But what's with the sound? This is worth creating a hype over? My initial impressions were really poor, so I took a few days to get adjusted, tried the different filters and also checked if I have a defective pair. But since both units are well-matched, I guess it's safe to say that there is no issue. Unless Drop pulled a sneaky on us and massively reduced the quality of the product in secret after the hype took off.

These have very poor resolution, in my opinion. The bass is bloated with little texture, poor decay and slow transients. The quantity isn't overdone at all, but the low-end lacks any kind of definition. The midrange sounds off - I have read so many impressions of how great the tonality is but the upper midrange is completely messed up - no matter which filter. Voices remain shrill, which is due to audible distortion. I installed some SpinFit which helped a bit to cut back upper mids, but the FDX1 fail to pick up multiple layers in tracks, like doubled voices. What really disappointed me, though, is the treble. It's perhaps one of the worst I heard in a while. Cymbal splashes are missing. There is no shimmer, no sense of space at all. Sadly, when swiping with a sine tone generator, I can confirm it. When I play 8 kHz or 9 kHz, I don't hear a 8 or 9 kHz tone, I hear noise. So either both my units (L+R) are defective, or Drop is doing something fishy. (Or, but that's a big maybe, people get blinded by the great build quality and a really misleading frequency response.)

_KE20036-Bearbeitet.jpg
I have the QDC neptune and I can say that the FDX1 is head and shoulders above it in terms of sound quality. Bass hits harder and is tighter. Clarity as well as extension is so far ahead its not a fair comparison at all.

I got mine less than a month ago and my pair are fine, just a bit of rattle when on bass tracks.

Check if the cables are properly plugged in, check of the filters sit flush against the housing. They shouldn't rattle or have any gap between them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back