Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 Dual Carbon IEM...available in the US!
Jul 4, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #901 of 1,383
Thanks for the feedback and the chart! Indeed it might not be exactly what I'm looking for, the RE400 is bright enough for my tastes.
It's worth adding that the filters could change that. Here's the FR with the blue filter.
graph.png

Jul 4, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #903 of 1,383
I really wouldn’t consider it V-shaped. It’s really neutral with some bass boost. What’s significant is that it peaks at 4KHz (a lot of other IEMs peak earlier, around 2.5KHz it seems) where a lot of people, myself included, are very sensitive to. It does reveal a lot of details, and is very clear sounding, with tons of resolution.

Jul 4, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #904 of 1,383
I really wouldn’t consider it V-shaped. It’s really neutral with some bass boost. What’s significant is that it peaks at 4KHz (a lot of other IEMs peak earlier, around 2.5KHz it seems) where a lot of people, myself included, are very sensitive to. It does reveal a lot of details, and is very clear sounding, with tons of resolution.
That's the upper midrange peak that worries me a little. I'm wondering if it's like a HD600 (which I find perfect) or if it's more pronounced like an Etymotic (which I would probably find artificially clear on the long run).
Edit: the blue filter charter above does look very nice compared to the RE400 though

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #905 of 1,383
That's the upper midrange peak that worries me a little. I'm wondering if it's like a HD600 (which I find perfect) or if it's more pronounced like an Etymotic (which I would probably find artificially clear on the long run).
Edit: the blue filter charter above does look very nice compared to the RE400 though
I think it sounds more pronounced than the graph suggests. I find it quite a bit more intense than the HD600, in stock form, but the different nozzles, and other tuning options can help customize the sound a lot. It is definitely NOT a plug and play IEM, but if you are willing to experiment and tinker a bit, it can sound amazing.

Jul 4, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #906 of 1,383
I've fully gone onboard with EQing this IEM instead of relying on the nozzle filters. I need the lower midrange dip that the white nozzle has because with the green or blue filter, that lower midrange builds a lot of pressure that doesn't get vented. With something like the FAD E5000, that IEM is almost semi-open, so there isn't a noticeable pressure build-up in my ear. That does mean, however, that I need to cut that lower treble 4k peak way way down (along with the 8k band by half of what I cut the 4k band) because the default tuning of the FD-X1 is way too unnatural and painful for me.

Jul 4, 2020 at 10:25 PM Post #907 of 1,383
It still rattles at my iem reviewing sound level but at regular listening levels it only rattles in select songs so I've made peace with it. I don't want to wait a few months for the rma and there's a chance I might get another pair with the same problem.

Wonder if there's some debris in the driver or something... I remember the old style Beyer DT series rattled like crazy just from having a hair caught in the driver.

Jul 4, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #908 of 1,383
Wonder if there's some debris in the driver or something... I remember the old style Beyer DT series rattled like crazy just from having a hair caught in the driver.
Yeah thats why I asked for instructions on how to open it. From the nozzle I can't see any debris but then again I can't see the driver surface as well.

Jul 7, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #910 of 1,383
Are these worth upgrading to from Starfields? After a sub 250 musical/smooth set of iems that are non-fatigiuging.
That depends on what you’re looking for, that you feel that the Starfields could use a bit more of. I have the Moondrop DLC & Kanas Pro, but jumped ship at that point, as Moondrop‘s evolution was to move their focus towards the mids and above.

For my tastes, the FDX1/01 were the Moondrop evolution that I was looking for: preserve the low end, while improving vocals and detail

Jul 7, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #911 of 1,383
That depends on what you’re looking for, that you feel that the Starfields could use a bit more of. I have the Moondrop DLC & Kanas Pro, but jumped ship at that point, as Moondrop‘s evolution was to move their focus towards the mids and above.

For my tastes, the FDX1/01 were the Moondrop evolution that I was looking for: preserve the low end, while improving vocals and detail

As somebody who also came from the Kanas pro, this was exactly the upgrade I was looking for. Better highs, mids are on par if not slightly better, and bass is more well rounded (Less boomy, more precise)

Jul 7, 2020 at 11:06 PM Post #912 of 1,383

I realised I have sensitive hearing.. Anything slightly loud becomes very peaky to my ears especially cymbals. Not sure if these are good in that aspect.

Jul 7, 2020 at 11:14 PM Post #913 of 1,383
I realised I have sensitive hearing.. Anything slightly loud becomes very peaky to my ears especially cymbals. Not sure if these are good in that aspect.
It really depends on what frequencies you are particularly sensitive to. If it is low to mid treble, such as 6 or 8KHz, than you’ll be fine with the FDX1. If you are sensitive to upper midrange “shoutiness”, then be cautious with this. The 4KHz peak can sound really intense, and that’s why most of us attenuate it some, such as with the included nozzles. The 2 major strengths of the FDX1/FD01/FD02 are the natural timbre and the amazing technicalities of this single DD.

Jul 7, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #914 of 1,383
It really depends on what frequencies you are particularly sensitive to. If it is low to mid treble, such as 6 or 8KHz, than you’ll be fine with the FDX1. If you are sensitive to upper midrange “shoutiness”, then be cautious with this. The 4KHz peak can sound really intense, and that’s why most of us attenuate it some, such as with the included nozzles. The 2 major strengths of the FDX1/FD01/FD02 are the natural timbre and the amazing technicalities of this single DD.

Yeah definitely the 4kHz peak.. Will the nozzles be enough to minimise the effects?

Jul 8, 2020 at 12:59 AM Post #915 of 1,383
Yeah definitely the 4kHz peak.. Will the nozzles be enough to minimise the effects?
For many people, yes, but I’m very sensitive to that frequency. I cut out paper discs (from a dry lens cleaning cloth), and placed them over the stock nozzles. It adequately tamed the upper mids, w/o decreasing the treble much. This turned out to be ideal for me. Again, the treble is actually not harsh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back