Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 Dual Carbon IEM...available in the US!
Jun 29, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #871 of 1,383
Essentially, you cut a piece of a foam earplug down to size, punch a hole in the middle of it, and slide it onto the core of the tip. Just like Symbios, with whatever tip you prefer. Some take to it better than others, though. For instance, the Sednas have a rigid core and are pretty thick on the outside so they resist stretching out too much or the core getting crushed. With the Dots+, I have to use very soft foam plugs and a thinner piece of foam or the soft core will crush in my ear.
I still have yet to do this. I also do want to get the Symbios, but am waiting till I need several things, for a bigger international order.

Jun 29, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #872 of 1,383
Has anyone experienced a rattling sound on tracks with heavy bass?

One of my units are fine but the other one rattles on bass heavy tracks. When it rumbles it rattles as well.

Jun 29, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #873 of 1,383

One of my units are fine but the other one rattles on bass heavy tracks. When it rumbles it rattles as well.
Oh no, that’s not normal. I would try taking off the nozzle, rotating the shell, wiggling all the mechanical parts, just to see if it goes away (I’m sure you’ve already done all of that a bunch of times though.). If it persists, I’d call Drop for an exchange. They’ve been good about it thus far, to my knowledge. That stinks.

Jun 29, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #874 of 1,383
Oh no, that’s not normal. I would try taking off the nozzle, rotating the shell, wiggling all the mechanical parts, just to see if it goes away (I’m sure you’ve already done all of that a bunch of times though.). If it persists, I’d call Drop for an exchange. They’ve been good about it thus far, to my knowledge. That stinks.
Yeah that sucks. I'll see what I can do.

How does drop declare RMAs? I don't want to pay customs just for a replacement product.

Jun 29, 2020 at 10:49 PM Post #875 of 1,383
I tested all the moving parts by gluing them down one by one until all moving parts have been glued down. The rattling still persists on very bassy tracks so unfortunately it seems like a driver issue. Maybe its not held down properly in its housing.

Can anyone try this track and see if their FDX1 rattles as well? Just the first 10 seconds.

I remember someone mentioning taking apart the FDX1. How can i do that?

Attachments

• Mittsies - Ventus.zip
    6.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 30, 2020 at 12:17 AM Post #876 of 1,383

I know of a case like that with FD02,
The cheaper version of the FDX1 with fixed nozzle and no damping.
Regarding opening - I once accidentally opened an FD02 but when I tried with my FDX1 I didn’t manage to repeat it. You can try pulling on the part while tilting and/or pushing it to the side, but as I said, while it opened surprisingly easily the first time I didn’t succeed a second time when I actually wanted to open it...

Jun 30, 2020 at 12:57 AM Post #878 of 1,383
I tested all the moving parts by gluing them down one by one until all moving parts have been glued down. The rattling still persists on very bassy tracks so unfortunately it seems like a driver issue. Maybe its not held down properly in its housing.

Can anyone try this track and see if their FDX1 rattles as well? Just the first 10 seconds.

I remember someone mentioning taking apart the FDX1. How can i do that?

I’ve had the same problem with a pair of FD02 which I got from Jp.
The rattling appeared only bellow 80hz.
Unfotunatelly I’ve had to send them back.

From what I see the bud of the FDX1 is made from FD01 and FD02.

I ordered a new pair of FD01 because I liked the FD02 so much I’ve had to had these :D
I think tomorrow I will receive them.

Jun 30, 2020 at 3:59 AM Post #879 of 1,383
I know the packaging Drop uses helps to keep the costs down but it just takes away from the experience of owning a new iem you know? So far this purchase has been sort of underwhelming and i was really hyped for the FDX1 too. The KZ ZSX i got last week was more exciting due to its sheer value.

Yes the sound of the FDX1 is really good but its not better than the best I've ever heard, maybe I've just been spoiled after listening to so many high end iems. I used to be able to enjoy an actual upgrade, like being able to experience a whole new level of sound quality, hear small details and nuances I've never heard before, experience a more realistic and dynamic sound.

Maybe I'm limited by my source now and i know sound quality wise the iems i have are already at that 95-98% mark where to get an upgrade you'll need to spend exponentially more. Heck, the only combination I'd consider to be an upgrade would be the IER-Z1R + DMP-Z1 for its holographic out of head soundstage.

Jun 30, 2020 at 4:06 AM Post #880 of 1,383
I know the packaging Drop uses helps to keep the costs down but it just takes away from the experience of owning a new iem you know? So far this purchase has been sort of underwhelming and i was really hyped for the FDX1 too. The KZ ZSX i got last week was more exciting due to its sheer value.

Yes the sound of the FDX1 is really good but its not better than the best I've ever heard, maybe I've just been spoiled after listening to so many high end iems. I used to be able to enjoy an actual upgrade, like being able to experience a whole new level of sound quality, hear small details and nuances I've never heard before, experience a more realistic and dynamic sound.

Maybe I'm limited by my source now and i know sound quality wise the iems i have are already at that 95-98% mark where to get an upgrade you'll need to spend exponentially more. Heck, the only combination I'd consider to be an upgrade would be the IER-Z1R + DMP-Z1 for its holographic out of head soundstage.
Maybe give yourself some time and see how they grow on you. I have had the modded FD02 for more than a year and I keep coming back to them, despite having bought other, more expensive IEMs.
The IER-Z1R are certainly good though if you have the ears to fit them and the cash to buy them :wink:

Jun 30, 2020 at 4:40 AM Post #881 of 1,383
Maybe give yourself some time and see how they grow on you. I have had the modded FD02 for more than a year and I keep coming back to them, despite having bought other, more expensive IEMs.
The IER-Z1R are certainly good though if you have the ears to fit them and the cash to buy them :wink:
Funnily enough I dont like the IER-Z1R on their own, but when paired with the DMP-Z1 (SE) its an entirely different beast. And yes the price of the combo is eye watering, mostly the DMP-Z1.

20190516_184850.jpg

And yes, the FDX1 WILL be my go to iem for the foreseeable future, no doubt about that, and they are certainly great, just not exciting. Maybe modding them is where its at.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #882 of 1,383
Funnily enough I dont like the IER-Z1R on their own, but when paired with the DMP-Z1 (SE) its an entirely different beast. And yes the price of the combo is eye watering, mostly the DMP-Z1.

20190516_184850.jpg

And yes, the FDX1 WILL be my go to iem for the foreseeable future, no doubt about that, and they are certainly great, just not exciting. Maybe modding them is where its at.
FDX1 balanced 4.4 is eye (or, ear) opening. For me, it really took them to a new level.

Jun 30, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #883 of 1,383
FDX1 balanced 4.4 is eye (or, ear) opening. For me, it really took them to a new level.
They do like power. I don’t find the FDX1 particularly exciting either, as far as tuning goes, but they provide me with the auditory equivalent of breathing cool fresh air or putting on good polarized sunglasses on a hazy day. Everything just sounds clear and crisp. I find it provides more long-term enjoyment, and things just sound “right”.

Jun 30, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #884 of 1,383
They do like power. I don’t find the FDX1 particularly exciting either, as far as tuning goes, but they provide me with the auditory equivalent of breathing cool fresh air or putting on good polarized sunglasses on a hazy day. Everything just sounds clear and crisp. I find it provides more long-term enjoyment, and things just sound “right”.
Well said. I'm not sure about "not exciting" but they're not overly intense. Just focused. I really like the way the treble is tuned on these (with green or custom filters).

Jun 30, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #885 of 1,383
Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have it tuned any other way. This is close to my ideal signature.

I don't like iems that are warm and not crystal clear. Iems with overly boosted and odd treble are bad as well.
Well said. I'm not sure about "not exciting" but they're not overly intense. Just focused. I really like the way the treble is tuned on these (with green or custom filters).
I meant not exciting to me any more, having heard how good the best iems can do and realising how close I am to the endgame (source excluded).

I do intend to get a balanced pure silver cable sometime later. I'm using a silver plated copper cable at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back