Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 Dual Carbon IEM...available in the US!
Jun 25, 2020 at 10:29 PM Post #856 of 1,383
Can I get a few recommendations for affordable 4.4 cables for FDX1? Got a Linsoul 4.4 recently from Drop and the microphonics are over the top. Thanks
Wow that's crazy I've had good luck with Linsoul cables. However, they were Tripowen, not Linsoul branded. In that same price range, the I really like the Nicehck C-x series. There's a copper one, an SPC one, and a hybrid one, along with a couple other ones that I think are just different colors of the SPC variant. Otherwise, for something even cheaper (and readily available on Amazon), I'm using a Hifihear SPC 6 core (which is the same as the banned brand's 6 core) till my Null Audio Ethos shows up, and it's perfectly decent for 14 bucks shipped after coupons. Before I went balanced, I has a Tripowen C8 on it, and liked that as well.

Jun 26, 2020 at 12:21 AM Post #857 of 1,383
Can I get a few recommendations for affordable 4.4 cables for FDX1? Got a Linsoul 4.4 recently from Drop and the microphonics are over the top. Thanks
I love my FiiO cable with the FD-X1. It has a good mmcx connector and earhook if you want to wear them over the ear.

Jun 26, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #858 of 1,383
Wow that's crazy I've had good luck with Linsoul cables. However, they were Tripowen, not Linsoul branded. In that same price range, the I really like the Nicehck C-x series. There's a copper one, an SPC one, and a hybrid one, along with a couple other ones that I think are just different colors of the SPC variant. Otherwise, for something even cheaper (and readily available on Amazon), I'm using a Hifihear SPC 6 core (which is the same as the banned brand's 6 core) till my Null Audio Ethos shows up, and it's perfectly decent for 14 bucks shipped after coupons. Before I went balanced, I has a Tripowen C8 on it, and liked that as well.
Read any reviews on the Null Audio cables? Hate to ship em back to Singapore

Jun 29, 2020 at 12:38 AM Post #860 of 1,383
Finally got to the end of this thread.

Just received my FDX1 and I'm burning them in now.

Initial impressions were a bit disappointing. I tried the blue filters and the mids weren't as clear as I had hoped. Haven't tried the other filters yet.

I'm interested in doing @IEMusic 's mod. Hopefully it will be more in line with my preferences.

I don't have lens cleaners though. Are there any suitable alternatives like using coffee filters?

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2020 at 12:50 AM Post #861 of 1,383

Initial impressions were a bit disappointing. I tried the blue filters and the mids weren't as clear as I had hoped. Haven't tried the other filters yet.

I'm interested in doing @IEMusic 's mod. Hopefully it will be more in line with my preferences.

I don't have lens cleaners though. Are there any suitable alternatives like using coffee filters?
I think using a coffee filter may work well, but probably only one layer is needed. Simply using micropore tape may also work for you. I just recommend giving them plenty of time to break in, and also try to have fun experimenting. That’s what I did, for a while. Ear tips make a difference too.

Jun 29, 2020 at 1:38 AM Post #862 of 1,383
Took 5 tries

20200629_133741.jpg

Looks good?

The spiral dots ++ suck btw. I'm not sure why but they make my ear very itchy. The bass with regular spiral dots is also much better.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2020 at 2:10 AM Post #863 of 1,383

Try Tripowin foam tips, too. Or SEDNAs.

Jun 29, 2020 at 2:58 AM Post #864 of 1,383
Try Tripowin foam tips, too. Or SEDNAs.
I'm not a fan on foam tips. The SEDNAs look similar to my UE tips, I'll give those a try.

Right now the coffee filter mod + spiral dots combo sounds much better than the blue filters + spiral dots++ combo. I'll keep burning in and listening for changes.

Jun 29, 2020 at 3:01 AM Post #865 of 1,383
I'm not a fan on foam tips. The SEDNAs look similar to my UE tips, I'll give those a try.

Right now the coffee filter mod + spiral dots combo sounds much better than the blue filters + spiral dots++ combo. I'll keep burning in and listening for changes.
I’m not usually either, but these are different than Comply. There are large, deep bores with weird ridges that seem to tone the leaky upper-mids without obfuscating the rest or changING the timbre. They also seem to anchor the bass and make it linear and clear.

I wouldn’t have thought tips cooks make that big a difference.

I have some Symbios coming, too, which are sort of “sili-foams.”

Jun 29, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #866 of 1,383

Looks good! But how they sound to you is the most important thing.

If regular Spiral Dots sound good and fit well for you, I don’t know that the Sednas will be that much different, as they are similar wide-bore tips. I also really don’t like the feel of SD+ tips. I’m using Final Audio E tips, but that is just my personal sound preference. Fit wise, the Sedna tips do work great (I don’t have regular SD tips.).

Jun 29, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #867 of 1,383
Last edited:
Jun 29, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #869 of 1,383
Sednas changed the game for me. With the foam mod, the MS and ML (left and right) are absolutely PERFECT. I'm using the regular shorts, but I want to try the XELASTEC ASAP.
What’s the foam mod? Is this in addition to the mods already on the FDX1?

Jun 29, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #870 of 1,383
What’s the foam mod? Is this in addition to the mods already on the FDX1?
Essentially, you cut a piece of a foam earplug down to size, punch a hole in the middle of it, and slide it onto the core of the tip. Just like Symbios, with whatever tip you prefer. Some take to it better than others, though. For instance, the Sednas have a rigid core and are pretty thick on the outside so they resist stretching out too much or the core getting crushed. With the Dots+, I have to use very soft foam plugs and a thinner piece of foam or the soft core will crush in my ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back