Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 Dual Carbon IEM...available in the US!
Jun 17, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #826 of 1,383
When I EQ a little extra bass on my es100, they’re more engaging, but it’s hard to get just right.

I have a iFi Hip DAC ordered that should be here at the end of the month.
I can't remember if I may have already suggested this to you before: if you go to the settings icon (on the EQ screen) and change the Q setting to Narrow (1.4142), you can then fine tune your cut/boost.

As an example, for my Dunu DK-3001 Pro, I'm experimenting with an isolated boost to the very low end
Dunu DK3001 Pro EQc.jpg

Jun 17, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #827 of 1,383
I can't remember if I may have already suggested this to you before: if you go to the settings icon (on the EQ screen) and change the Q setting to Narrow (1.4142), you can then fine tune your cut/boost.

As an example, for my Dunu DK-3001 Pro, I'm experimenting with an isolated boost to the very low end
Dunu DK3001 Pro EQc.jpg
I don’t understand how what you’ve shown is different than the normal EQ.

Jun 17, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #828 of 1,383

You have the DK-3001 Pro? How does it compare to the FH5?

Jun 17, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #831 of 1,383
I’ve been dying to try an iFi product for a while now. Seeing the Burr-Brown multibit portions of your converters has piqued my interest further.

I agree, it's a very interesting subject.

Any chance you’d just straight up produce a DAP?

We never say never, but a DAP by iFi is unlikely.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 20, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #832 of 1,383
So, I've never been a cable believer, really. I've always held the belief that a poor enough cable will degrade sound quality, but as far as decent cables go, it's all the same. Well, I recently switched my FDX1 to balanced, and was using a full copper cable (before that I had a Tripowen C8 hybrid) and, although I heard a difference, I chalked it up entirely to the E1DA. Something felt off, though, and I switched to an SPC cable. Well, long story short, I'm now a cable believer. It's subtle, of course, but they definitely sound more defined with the SPC cable. I'm glad I found this out, because I have wanted to treat myself (and my FDX1) with a nice cable, and was going to go with a Satin Audio Gaïa, which is all copper, but have now decided on a Null Audio Ethos Mk. IV, which is SPC. I'm excited as fluff.

Jun 20, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #833 of 1,383
So, I've never been a cable believer, really. I've always held the belief that a poor enough cable will degrade sound quality, but as far as decent cables go, it's all the same. Well, I recently switched my FDX1 to balanced, and was using a full copper cable (before that I had a Tripowen C8 hybrid) and, although I heard a difference, I chalked it up entirely to the E1DA. Something felt off, though, and I switched to an SPC cable. Well, long story short, I'm now a cable believer. It's subtle, of course, but they definitely sound more defined with the SPC cable. I'm glad I found this out, because I have wanted to treat myself (and my FDX1) with a nice cable, and was going to go with a Satin Audio Gaïa, which is all copper, but have now decided on a Null Audio Ethos Mk. IV, which is SPC. I'm excited as fluff.
You should also try an all silver cable at some point. I like the inexpensive TRN T3 in general, and it’s amazing on some of my IEMs, like the se846 and the Tin T4. I didn’t like it on my FDX1 b/c it made the upper mids too harsh, but YMMV.

I agree with you that the difference in sound from cables is usually only subtle, and the the main issue is with really cheap quality cables sounding bad. I do think that once you have a solid, well built cable, it’s the conductor material makeup that makes the most difference (pure OFC vs SPC vs all silver).

Jun 20, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #834 of 1,383
You should also try an all silver cable at some point. I like the inexpensive TRN T3 in general, and it’s amazing on some of my IEMs, like the se846 and the Tin T4. I didn’t like it on my FDX1 b/c it made the upper mids too harsh, but YMMV.

I agree with you that the difference in sound from cables is usually only subtle, and the the main issue is with really cheap quality cables sounding bad. I do think that once you have a solid, well built cable, it’s the conductor material makeup that makes the most difference (pure OFC vs SPC vs all silver).
I've been eyeing the Alo spc cable...

Jun 20, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #836 of 1,383
I'm using the ALO Pure Silver Litz with it, and it sounds great. Keep an eye out - the ALO warehouse sometimes offers deep discounts on their cables. E.g., I got mine for $49.
Thanks! Is there a certain place to look on their website?

Jun 20, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #838 of 1,383
Jun 23, 2020 at 2:36 AM Post #840 of 1,383
I'm using the ALO Pure Silver Litz with it, and it sounds great. Keep an eye out - the ALO warehouse sometimes offers deep discounts on their cables. E.g., I got mine for $49.

I bought that cable as well, just let me point that ALO was selling off the discontinued "Pure Silver", which is not a Litz cable.
It was a great deal, good sound, very nice comfort, no memory wire ear hook (a big plus IMO), soft and well made. At $49 a no brainer, I think the MRSP was $199.
I'd be surprised if ALO offers a similar deal for products which they keep in their portfolio...

In terms of pure SQ I still prefer the DIY pure silver-Teflon cable for it's increased transparency, speed and control. But it's certainly nowhere near as comfortable, is stiff and microphonic.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back