Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 Dual Carbon IEM...available in the US!
Jun 30, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #886 of 1,383
I know the packaging Drop uses helps to keep the costs down but it just takes away from the experience of owning a new iem you know? So far this purchase has been sort of underwhelming and i was really hyped for the FDX1 too. The KZ ZSX i got last week was more exciting due to its sheer value.

Yeah, the Drop packaging is extremely uninspiring. Any update on what you plan to do with them? Is the one side still rattling?

Jun 30, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #887 of 1,383
Yeah, the Drop packaging is extremely uninspiring. Any update on what you plan to do with them? Is the one side still rattling?
It still rattles at my iem reviewing sound level but at regular listening levels it only rattles in select songs so I've made peace with it. I don't want to wait a few months for the rma and there's a chance I might get another pair with the same problem.

Jun 30, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #888 of 1,383
I'm not really sure how iFi's variation on balanced topology works with the iFi nano black label. Is anyone using the FDX1 balanced with the nano black label? It looks like I could use the 3.5mm TRRS out with a balanced cable and adapter for about $30 investment... Can anyone confirm if this is good as balanced out of a quality dap?

Jun 30, 2020 at 11:14 PM Post #889 of 1,383
I'm not really sure how iFi's variation on balanced topology works with the iFi nano black label. Is anyone using the FDX1 balanced with the nano black label? It looks like I could use the 3.5mm TRRS out with a balanced cable and adapter for about $30 investment... Can anyone confirm if this is good as balanced out of a quality dap?
No clue, but balanced out of the 9038S changed the game for my FDX1.

Jul 1, 2020 at 7:46 AM Post #890 of 1,383
Does anyone have any suggestions for good quality silver cables?

I'm currently considering the TRN T3 or the Fiio LC Litz cable.

Jul 1, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #891 of 1,383

I bought the ALO pure silver (non-Litz) when it was on sale last year and it's a good sounding and comfortable cable.
I think my DIY cables beat it in SQ but the ALO wins in comfort.

There's a deal on Aliexpress for a ALO pure silver LITZ version which would be very good if legitimate:
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/4000375705679.html

But I think you can't go wrong with any of them.

Jul 1, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #892 of 1,383
I bought the ALO pure silver (non-Litz) when it was on sale last year and it's a good sounding and comfortable cable.
I think my DIY cables beat it in SQ but the ALO wins in comfort.

There's a deal on Aliexpress for a ALO pure silver LITZ version which would be very good if legitimate:
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/4000375705679.html

But I think you can't go wrong with any of them.
When discounted its reasonable but the normal price is quite expensive. Is there any reason litz cables are more expensive than say a 16 core cable?

Jul 1, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #894 of 1,383
When discounted its reasonable but the normal price is quite expensive. Is there any reason litz cables are more expensive than say a 16 core cable?
A real Litz cable uses individually insulated conductor strands, which is more expensive and a little harder to manufacture. These are basically thin, enamel plated wires.
There's a nice picture here which also lists the sonic performance claims:
https://de.aliexpress.com/i/33029461384.html

I use 2 different DIY pure silver cables, one using non-Litz 6N pure silver teflon insulated conductors and the other a PVC/Litz silver combination.
The Teflon is clearer, tighter, the PVC/Litz a bit warmer, smoother and fuller.

Jul 1, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #895 of 1,383
seanwee said:

I like this one:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001166709135.html

I like the TRN T3 cable, and have a few of them, but this NICEHCK silver cable looks really nice, and it is available with 4 different connectors.

Jul 1, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #896 of 1,383
Just got this, and the signature is very interesting, if you use the blue filters and default tips. Reminds me of the Shure E3c (now equivalent to SE425 I think). This signature made me fall in love with IEMs in the first place. It makes you really appreciate the midrange. Before I was a V-shaped fan, then I became a midrange fan because of this signature. (later I became an all-around fan lol)

It's a pretty specific signature that is rarely seen, and might be an acquired taste for most people. It is described as 4khz centric, then a valley into the 8khz region. It sounds technical and revealing, but in a fun way. like if you made 8bit techno a sound signature. Very addicting for me.

I also appreciate the large driver. 11mm is huge, only 1mm smaller than the IER-Z1R (12mm). Large drivers really feel different from smaller drivers, even if they measure the same FR.

Yeah, the Drop packaging is extremely uninspiring.
Might make it easier to return. Maybe they wouldn't know what to do with used looking packages.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2020 at 11:06 PM Post #897 of 1,383
i a/b'd against shure se425s and verified my suspicions, they're pretty much the dynamic driver version of the SE425s, which is a dual balanced armature. HA-FDX1 has better bass (obviously because it's a DD) and airiness but se425s have the nicer detail of BAs. so pick your poison. SE425s are also 50 bucks cheaper.

I wish a DD+BA hybrid would come out with this sound signature because I adore it.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #899 of 1,383
Anybody compared these with the RE400? Is it worth upgrading to the JVC?

I don't own the RE400 anymore, but from memory they are quite different. The FDX1 has much better extension on both ends, better clarity/detail, better dynamics. I think it's a clear upgrade, but if you're looking to stick with a mid-centric sound signature, you may want to look elsewhere.

Screenshot_20200704-084239_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #900 of 1,383
I don't own the RE400 anymore, but from memory they are quite different. The FDX1 has much better extension on both ends, better clarity/detail, better dynamics. I think it's a clear upgrade, but if you're looking to stick with a mid-centric sound signature, you may want to look elsewhere.

Screenshot_20200704-084239_Chrome.jpg
Thanks for the feedback and the chart! Indeed it might not be exactly what I'm looking for, the RE400 is bright enough for my tastes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back