Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 Dual Carbon IEM...available in the US!
Jan 17, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #496 of 1,383
I have hinted at my issues with my pair of FDX1 and it is time to share with you and try to get a better picture of the situation.

Short history:
I have had the JVC FD02 for 8 months and modded them with some micropore tape, documented here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/jvc-ha-fd01-class-s-solidege.868414/page-13#post-14870966
The FD02 is exactly the same as the FDX1, except of a fixed nozzle, a stainless steel driver cage and a different cable. Also in Crinacle's measurements the FD02 and FDX1 measure basically identical below 1kHz.
Based on my very positive experiences with these IEMs I ordered the FDX1, hoping for a better cable and liking the idea of being able to quickly change the tuning.

I received the IEMs about 10 days ago and noticed that the rotating mechanism is much looser than on my FD02, so much so that they would easily rotate, even when just inserting them into my ears. On one of the ear pieces a gap opened when pulling the shell parts apart. The other thing I noticed immediately was a very thin sound, with none of the nice sub bass I was used to from my FD02. What followed was a lengthy discussion with @james444 who was extremly helpful and patient, supporting me through the process.
I have a simple measurement setup with Dayton IMM-6 microphone and 3d printed coupler, which is by no means very accurate but serves well for comparative measurements.
the first measurement showed that one earpiece had a somewhat weak bass response, the other even less. The measurements looked like a leak in the shell, so I tried to find it and see if I could fix it without returning the IEMs.
I tried taping the seam of the rotating mechanism and any potential source for leaks.
The worse of the 2 ear pieces improved to about the same level as the better one of the 2 when I taped the front vent with micropore tape, which could mean that the filter behind the vent had an issue. But other than that no amount of taping any potential source for a leak showed any effect on the measured frequency response. In the end the IEM looked like this:

In the end I ran a series of measurements of my FD02 (unmodded), the 2 FDX1 ear pieces with empty nozzle and as a reference also my Sony EX800ST to have a clear picture of how the 2 FDX1 measure. I was very careful and measured each ear piece twice to verify that I had good repeatability.

In the meantime I have been in contact with the very friendly, fast and helpful from Drop, who offered me an exchange or refund.
I really want to have a good pair of FDX1, but based on my experiences and other statements in forums I am wondering if I just got unlucky or if these are wider spread issues.
Therefore I created a simple GOOGLE DOC spread sheet to get some statistically relevant information.

Id' appreciate your support to fill this in, also if your samples are good
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1veF86mHF-A9imr9IcfDANUJIGiqpo_tug73aI_QsKbc/edit?usp=sharing

Finally my last measurement, normalized at 1kHz (App shifted curves to -25dB?)
FD02: Light blue curve "2a" - only one ear piece since both measure virtually identical
EX800ST: green and yellow - for reference
FDX1-1: red, "2e"
FDX1-2: purple, "2d"
Dark blue: artefact of the APP, didn't manage to avoid that.

I don't know how accurate the trends will be, from submissions to your spreadsheet; as it's the opposite of random polling.

If Drop were open to swapping your HA-FDX1s for the HA-FD01, that could be interesting; as it would allow you to see if the Japanese reviews (on Amazon) of the various nozzles do make a difference.
https://drop.com/buy/jvc-ha-fd01-iem

For me, the total cost would be a major factor. Would you end up paying for your respective country's import fees and taxes twice, if you accept the option, for a replacement ?

Good luck

Jan 17, 2020 at 7:53 AM Post #497 of 1,383
I don't know how accurate the trends will be, from submissions to your spreadsheet; as it's the opposite of random polling.

If Drop were open to swapping your HA-FDX1s for the HA-FD01, that could be interesting; as it would allow you to see if the Japanese reviews (on Amazon) of the various nozzles do make a difference.
https://drop.com/buy/jvc-ha-fd01-iem

For me, the total cost would be a major factor. Would you end up paying for your respective country's import fees and taxes twice, if you accept the option, for a replacement ?

Good luck

Spreadsheet: agreed, trends would be hard to get, but it would be useful if we have mostly good units.

Exchange to FD01: I asked, but this is not possible

Import fees: I don't know, but I fear that you really have to pay 2 times... I asked a friend to take them to the US and help me get them exchanged.

Good luck: Thanks!

Jan 17, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #498 of 1,383
Spreadsheet: agreed, trends would be hard to get, but it would be useful if we have mostly good units.

Exchange to FD01: I asked, but this is not possible

Import fees: I don't know, but I fear that you really have to pay 2 times... I asked a friend to take them to the US and help me get them exchanged.

Good luck: Thanks!
I had to exchange mine but not for the reasons you are mentioning... one of the filters was not “sticking” to the latch (all the other ones were fine)... Drop exchanged the whole unit. The only thing that I can tell you is that the replacement process was a breeze (I am in the US), the only bad part is the wait, Drop will not ship them until they receive the defective unit.

Jan 22, 2020 at 3:54 AM Post #500 of 1,383
Cannot get a decent fit with my small ears, will unfortunately put them up for sale
Did you try the bigger Spiral Dots tips?
I have weird ear canals and find it very difficult to get a good fit in the canals but with bigger Spiral Dots I get a good seal and relatively secure fit in the concha.

Jan 22, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #501 of 1,383
Yay my friend brought it to me today!

Just a report regarding QC issues:
I'm feeling lucky because my pair hasn't any play/loose side and the bass is not lean by any means. I mean, lean to the point I'd feel some part of the music is missing out.
cbCUV6s.png
L/R w/ Sony Hybrid

So far I really like the stock white filter + Sony Hybrid tips or original Spiral Dots paired with the blue filter, that sparkle :D.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2020 at 2:34 AM Post #507 of 1,383
CP 500 are specifically designed for the nozzle size of the JVC but as @Makahl said, the 145 also work well
I have both, like both

Jan 23, 2020 at 2:36 AM Post #508 of 1,383
Yay my friend brought it to me today!

Just a report regarding QC issues:
I'm feeling lucky because my pair hasn't any play/loose side and the bass is not lean by any means. I mean, lean to the point I'd feel some part of the music is missing out.
cbCUV6s.png
L/R w/ Sony Hybrid

So far I really like the stock white filter + Sony Hybrid tips or original Spiral Dots paired with the blue filter, that sparkle :D.

You are good! Happy to see you got a good pair. This is the FR they should have.
Looking forward to your more detailed feedback! :ksc75smile:

Jan 24, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #510 of 1,383
Hi guys, I have been using FDX1 for awhile now and going back to Solaris, I feel like the mids on JVC is not clean enough, like there is some debris stuck in the driver and I've checked the nozzle and there's none of that. I've been using the green filter (the full cotton filter) and it got me thinking if the cotton is hampering the sound coming from the driver and made them not as 'pure' as the white filter (zero cotton).
Now my question is this happen to anyone else? Or is it just me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back