Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 Dual Carbon IEM...available in the US!
Jan 24, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #511 of 1,383
Hi guys, I have been using FDX1 for awhile now and going back to Solaris, I feel like the mids on JVC is not clean enough, like there is some debris stuck in the driver and I've checked the nozzle and there's none of that. I've been using the green filter (the full cotton filter) and it got me thinking if the cotton is hampering the sound coming from the driver and made them not as 'pure' as the white filter (zero cotton).
Now my question is this happen to anyone else? Or is it just me.

I experience something similiar too, but I can't really pinpoint the problem. On some tracks, there's no hint of it, but on certain songs it's very apparent. It sounds like some crackling / fine buzzing and I only hear it in the mids / lower mids. I thought it was driver distortion and at one point even tried to RMA it, but I wanted to make sure there was something wrong before doing that. What I think is happening is that the treble from poorly mastered tracks and especially compression artifacts from lossy files are rendered as a buzzing sound on these JVC's and it kind of creeps its way into the midrange making it sound dirty and distorted.

Jan 24, 2020 at 10:02 PM Post #512 of 1,383
Received my pair today. Not having any of the issues others have run into luckily. Only tested with the white filter for about 3 hours today. Only had one track with any real over-sharpness imo, and I know it's poorly mastered, so not too worried there. Curious to test with the other filters.

Jan 24, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #513 of 1,383
Hi guys, I have been using FDX1 for awhile now and going back to Solaris, I feel like the mids on JVC is not clean enough, like there is some debris stuck in the driver and I've checked the nozzle and there's none of that. I've been using the green filter (the full cotton filter) and it got me thinking if the cotton is hampering the sound coming from the driver and made them not as 'pure' as the white filter (zero cotton).
Now my question is this happen to anyone else? Or is it just me.
Couldn't afford the Solaris.

Jan 25, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #514 of 1,383
I experience something similiar too, but I can't really pinpoint the problem. On some tracks, there's no hint of it, but on certain songs it's very apparent. It sounds like some crackling / fine buzzing and I only hear it in the mids / lower mids. I thought it was driver distortion and at one point even tried to RMA it, but I wanted to make sure there was something wrong before doing that. What I think is happening is that the treble from poorly mastered tracks and especially compression artifacts from lossy files are rendered as a buzzing sound on these JVC's and it kind of creeps its way into the midrange making it sound dirty and distorted.

I have had a few such cases as well, a kind of rattling sound that made me ask myself if the driver had an issue, but when I switched IEMs I always found that I could hear the same on my other high resolving IEMs as well. So for me the conclusion so far has always been that it was an issue with the track, not an issue with the IEM itself.

Jan 25, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #515 of 1,383
Edit: Nvm. I fixed it.

Attachments

• op.jpg
    op.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #516 of 1,383
Edit: Nvm. I fixed it.

Edit: I've tried switching sides and it's way firmer now, I can't repeat what I've shown on the video. The issue is fixed by now but I don't know if it's either one of the filters has a QC variance or the latch holder is weaker on one side. I'd guess it's just one of the blue filters that has some small variation because the white/green filters are fine.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2020 at 12:16 AM Post #518 of 1,383
Got an e-mail back from ADV this morning. Sending my FDX1's out to have custom eartune fidelity tips made next week, so soon the FDX1 will be available in the dropdown on their site if anybody else is interested.

Please report back about how these tips influence the sound quality/signature when you get them. I have had custom silicone tips made by a local audiologist (for another IEM) and found them to reduce the treble response. I do have very narrow ear canals though, don’t know how that may play a role.
Hope the ADV tips work well for you, the video showing the production process is certainly impressive.

Jan 29, 2020 at 3:23 AM Post #519 of 1,383

I have had a few such cases as well, a kind of rattling sound that made me ask myself if the driver had an issue, but when I switched IEMs I always found that I could hear the same on my other high resolving IEMs as well. So for me the conclusion so far has always been that it was an issue with the track, not an issue with the IEM itself.

update:
after a few days of absence, yesterday i tried FDX1 again, and.. gone that crackle sound i heard on almost every track,
it got me wondering perhaps i abuse the DD last time with high volume and with heavy metal track so the driver got kinda tired..

Jan 30, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #520 of 1,383
This is one heck of a potent IEM. The tone is just fantastic. It's not the last word on detail but who cares? It sounds better than any IEM I've ever tried when it comes to engagement and just enjoying music. The seal doesn't have to be deep and they are comfortable enough. No QA issues on my set, just amazing sound. There is a bit of an upper mids bump so it seems slightly uneven there but my ears got used to it quickly.

Jan 30, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #522 of 1,383
I am also very happy with the FDX1. I switched from the KPE and do not regret it.
The sound is much more engaging and fun to listen too (green & blue filters).
The fit and seal are much better and I barley notice them compared to the KPE.

I use SpinFit tips, because I can not get a good seal with foam tips on any in-ear.
Silicone is also more convenient due to easy cleaning and durability.
But I noticed a difference in sound, while using the foam tips which are included. This is probably due to the larger opening.

One thing I noticed is apparently the different cotton lining of the green and blue filter.
The filters from Crinacle have a more visible cotton lining than mine. Furthermore, the green and blue filters are swapped, because my blue filter has hardly any lining.

I ordered from Germany. They arrived in 4 days and the customs fee was 50€.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #523 of 1,383
I am also very happy with the FDX1. I switched from the KPE and do not regret it.
The sound is much more engaging and fun to listen too (green & blue filters).
The fit and seal are much better and I barley notice them compared to the KPE.

I use SpinFit tips, because I can not get a good seal with foam tips on any in-ear.
Silicone is also more convenient due to easy cleaning and durability.
But I noticed a difference in sound, while using the foam tips which are included. This is probably due to the larger opening.

One thing I noticed is apparently the different cotton lining of the green and blue filter.
The filters from Crinacle have a more visible cotton lining than mine. Furthermore, the green and blue filters are swapped, because my blue filter has hardly any lining.

I ordered from Germany. They arrived in 4 days and the customs fee was 50€.
i think there was some reports regarding the nozzles color being switch. I'm not sure if they followed the original mod to the letter but maybe someone can take out their damping thing and measure the length and width. I don't have FDX1 so can't do this myself to confirm.

Also, do you not like the stock Spiral Dots Plus tips? They're working very well for me so far. I added some foam to the tips as well, the material is so soft that even with extra pressure, it still feel very nice :)

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #524 of 1,383
I dunno, guys. It took me a few days for the FDX1 to grow on me, then a few more days to lose interest - and I haven’t been tempted to listen to them in near a month.

The mod for them seems like polishing a turd. Yeah, it makes them sound better but they’re heavy, fiddly, not ergonomic. And I have ~$100 IEMs that sound better.

I’ll give them another try sometime, and I’ll probably again think they sound pretty good, but meanwhile continue to have some nagging feeling that overall they’re not a very good product for the price (unless your hobby is polishing turds, which I fall prey to myself sometimes).

Jan 30, 2020 at 11:34 PM Post #525 of 1,383
I dunno, guys. It took me a few days for the FDX1 to grow on me, then a few more days to lose interest - and I haven’t been tempted to listen to them in near a month.

The mod for them seems like polishing a turd. Yeah, it makes them sound better but they’re heavy, fiddly, not ergonomic. And I have ~$100 IEMs that sound better.

I’ll give them another try sometime, and I’ll probably again think they sound pretty good, but meanwhile continue to have some nagging feeling that overall they’re not a very good product for the price (unless your hobby is polishing turds, which I fall prey to myself sometimes).
I think that maybe, possibly, you don't fancy these IEMs... :). It's great that there are so many choices and hopefully you'll have better luck with others!

As to me I had to dial in the right filters, right tips, and I have to set the nozzle orientation just so. Otherwise I don't get good results. But when I do get everything working together I do find them quite pleasant. I have many, many IEMs. Are these my top ones? No. Heck no. But they are nice enough to hold a spot in my rotation and worthy of some ear time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back