Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 Dual Carbon IEM...available in the US!
Dec 18, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #286 of 1,383
This is the Atlas compared to the FDX1 with reference filters (= green on the prototype unit, blue on the retail unit). The proper way to align graphs is in the mids, around 1kHz.

graph.png

It's obvious that the Atlas has a substantial +10 dB boost over the FDX1 throughout the entire bass range. I haven't heard the Atlas myself, but if I were used to that kind of bass boost, I'd certainly find the FDX1 anemic.

It's also easy to see that the Atlas has actually a bit more boost than the FDX1 from upper mids into the treble range. But because it gets masked by gobs of bass, it doesn't stick out as much to the listener.

The goal of the "FDX1 project" was not to create another v-shaped DD IEM. There are dozens with that kind of tuning on the market. The goal was to create a fairly neutral DD IEM with realistic timbre, controlled / accurate bass and no nasty treble spikes, which is a far more rare breed.

The downside to a neutral IEM is, that it will sound anemic or "boring" if you're used to bass-boosted and "fun sounding" IEMs. But the upside is that it will sound much more true to what the mixing engineer had in mind (aka "what the artist intended"). IMHO it's pretty moot comparing Atlas and FDX1, entirely different tuning objectives, both have their merits, but you ought to know what you want.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #287 of 1,383
You think it's possible that it has rumble, but you didn't pick up on it because you're used to a different level of rumble to make your eyeballs shake?

I'll be able to chime in tomorrow night when I get mine. But based on graphs I do expect some rumble for sure.

Fair point about the upper mids and lower treble bite. I can see that in the graphs. And I can see that being too intense when coupled with a canal resonance for some folks.

The reviewers were more selling its natural timbre and tone. So it's not meant to overwhelm the senses but be natural.

They do have some nice texture in the lows, just no oomph. I don't expect them to be at basshead levels but expect a bit more dynamism from certain tracks. Especially when reviewers say they can rumble. Maybe it's a me thing, but when you say something can rumble, I expect that sort of energy and bombast.

For example, on the track O Fortuna by Carl Orff, the timpanis are so very soft that they get lost in this track. If I didn't know this track so well, they could even go unnoticed. Especially given the fact that there are multiple and the Atlas renders them all, individually loud and clear.

Same with the song Papa Was a Rolling Stone. The snap and pop of the drum throughout the whole song is quite subdued with the JVC. Even the Pinnacle PX renders more snap from that drum and they're not bassy either. With the track In Waves by Trivium, lots of double bass but the cymbals very much outweigh that with the JVC and the drums take a backseat (sadly).

Or Three Ralph's by DJ Shadow. Sub bass is super boosted and even here, it isn't as rumbly as I would expect from reading reviews. And I'm using Comply foamies and the filter with the most material.

I dunno, I think the JVC are best described as punchy. They just lack rumble and impact I kinda expect from a DD. It's all more than likely me not tempering my expectations better, but after what has been written about these, I just don't equate rumble with these at all. Punchy sure, but they don't dig deep enough for my taste is all.

Dec 18, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #288 of 1,383
They do have some nice texture in the lows, just no oomph. I don't expect them to be at basshead levels but expect a bit more dynamism from certain tracks. Especially when reviewers say they can rumble. Maybe it's a me thing, but when you say something can rumble, I expect that sort of energy and bombast.

For example, on the track O Fortuna by Carl Orff, the timpanis are so very soft that they get lost in this track. If I didn't know this track so well, they could even go unnoticed. Especially given the fact that there are multiple and the Atlas renders them all, individually loud and clear.

Same with the song Papa Was a Rolling Stone. The snap and pop of the drum throughout the whole song is quite subdued with the JVC. Even the Pinnacle PX renders more snap from that drum and they're not bassy either. With the track In Waves by Trivium, lots of double bass but the cymbals very much outweigh that with the JVC and the drums take a backseat (sadly).

Or Three Ralph's by DJ Shadow. Sub bass is super boosted and even here, it isn't as rumbly as I would expect from reading reviews. And I'm using Comply foamies and the filter with the most material.

I dunno, I think the JVC are best described as punchy. They just lack rumble and impact I kinda expect from a DD. It's all more than likely me not tempering my expectations better, but after what has been written about these, I just don't equate rumble with these at all. Punchy sure, but they don't dig deep enough for my taste is all.

All good points. And yes, I know what you are talking about with the rumble and impact. When I got my andromeda gold, I felt they were lacking too (especially compared to the atlas). For something described as bassy, they felt a bit anemic. The bass is there, it just doesnt have the physical impact and rumble I was hoping for. Its there more in the fdx1, but certainly not in large amounts and if thats something thats very important to you, then yea I can see how they would be lacking. Though I just know that it wasnt really how I had seem them described overall, so I wasnt really looking for it with them. A question though, have you attempted to tape the vent hole and see if that makes any difference? Doesnt taping those up usually increase bass? And for an IEM that was born from modding and seems to be all about it, might be worth a try.

On another note, does anyone have any cable recommendations that are not too expensive? I really liked the cable at first. Ergonomically I find it quite nice, but its quite microphonic. And the microphonics have a weird quality to them that makes it extra annoying. I tried wearing them over ear, but without any earhooks/guides they just dont stay in place long. And ideally I would like to wear them down, so low microphonics is a must.

Dec 18, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #289 of 1,383
I have only seen one guy who compares Atlas and JVCs technically, and that's Crinacle. He ranks the JVCs before the Atlas. I assume the discrepancy between the different opinions is base on different evaluation criteria. According to Crinacle:

Atlas: Gobs of bass with added treble sparkle that prevents complete congestion and muddiness.

JVC: Highly technical sound with a clean, well-tuned neutral signature.

I am aware that this is just another informed opinion and not gospel either...and lots of informed opinions will complete the puzzle. What I read between the lines is that some focus on the natural sound reproduction whereas others appreciate bass...and the Atlas' bass is probably stronger than natural...I wonder what a symphony orchestra sounds like with each of the contenders.

I personally find the JVC's blue filters too strong in perceived bass to be natural, Crinacle prefers the blue over the others.

To me, a good (=expensive) iem should be valued by its ability to reproduce sound as naturally as possible. That's where the money is imo.

Of course do people have different disposable incomes which may be reflected in their readiness to splurge.

Dec 18, 2019 at 8:15 PM Post #291 of 1,383
All good points. And yes, I know what you are talking about with the rumble and impact. When I got my andromeda gold, I felt they were lacking too (especially compared to the atlas). For something described as bassy, they felt a bit anemic. The bass is there, it just doesnt have the physical impact and rumble I was hoping for..

Expecting "rumble and impact" from a BA bass compared to a DD bass is probably not the way to go.

As for the comparisons between the Atlas vs the FDX1, it makes no sense unless you compare to all three working filters that come with the FDX1. The FDX1 owner has access to all those filters other than just the "default" one.

Dec 18, 2019 at 10:04 PM Post #294 of 1,383
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the empty nozzle is actually equivalent to the stock JVC FD01. The whole point of the FDX1 is to deliver a "production" mod version of the modded FD01. So it would make more sense to compare to anything but the empty nozzle.

That being said, I avoided jumping on the initial drop because I figured the tuning (even with mods) might not be to my taste for some of the reasons you cite, and it sounds like that might well be the case.

you are way smarter than me. After my experience with JVCs I immediately jumped into this drop without much care, scanned for a few keywords and figured it’s a refined JVC house sound - I guess I should have read the reviews more careful. When I listened to the HA-FX850 for the first time many years ago, it was such a revelation back then. I still have two pairs of these for you know, just in case, :)

anyhow I give them a try and see what they are, thankfully my expectations are now very different - thanks to all of you providing this feedback.

Dec 19, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #296 of 1,383
Expecting "rumble and impact" from a BA bass compared to a DD bass is probably not the way to go.

As for the comparisons between the Atlas vs the FDX1, it makes no sense unless you compare to all three working filters that come with the FDX1. The FDX1 owner has access to all those filters other than just the "default" one.

I have heard of a number of BA IEMs that do bass that way. And have experienced it a bit myself (fibae 4). So I dont think the expectation was too off base, especially with 4 bass drivers. Regardless, the statement there was more just in comparison to the atlas, which is a very bassy IEM. And in relation to how comparing anything other than bassy IEMs to the atlas is likely to give the impression of being bass light.

Dec 19, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #299 of 1,383
Ordered one of the in-stock sets of the FD-X1. I'm pretty sure I'm going to find these don't have enough bass for my tastes, but as long as this IEM responds to EQ, I think I can work with what I'm being given as far as the voicing/tuning goes. I'm also hoping these will pair well with my desktop rig, which can sound quite warm, all things considered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back