Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 Dual Carbon IEM...available in the US!
Dec 19, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #317 of 1,383
which means I will have to rely on EQ.

Just got mine in....and having a listen,

And those who know how to work a PEQ are getting outstanding performance.

I understand how others can call them thin as even with the most damped filters, there is about 5 db too much energy at 4khz for me.

For those of you who use neutron , I'll post some preferred EQ settings soon.

They handle EQ like a champ and the bass is very tight and can slam if you so desire.

Resolution and textures are very good. I'm impressed but would definitely not want to use them sans EQ for my own preferences.

Dec 19, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #318 of 1,383
I have to go by memory, heard the N3 when I picked up my FD02 in April.
Graphs and memory both say that the N3 has the bigger bass, in the upper frequencies I remember the N3 having a very nice BA type of response, detailed but without harshness. I really liked the N3 and was tempted to buy it, but couldn’t justify it. I do think I remember a different character between the DD low end and BA highs. Not disturbing, just a bit different. But I also remember the N3 as very comfortable and easy to fit.
Take the memories about the sound with a grain of salt, it’s been a long time, but I still have my eye on them...

I don’t want to really compare too much from memory, but the FDX1 will surely be more neutral in bass and likely a bit more energetic in the upper mids.
But it is very coherent, that’s maybe the upside. Fit and seal has always been a challenge for me though, I have narrow ear canals.

Bottomline - I think you got yourself a really nice IEM and only if you look for something more neutral I think it might make sense to try the JVC FDX1

I only have my own imprecise diy mod fd01 so could be very different from fdx1. Also not done proper head to head comparison so just general observation. IMO you are not missing much vs N3 in terms of overall package. I slightly prefer n3 in treble details... If you are very picky about timbre you might prefer fd01, though for me wide tips almost get rid of my issues there with n3... Of course fd01 also has advantage of some easy tunability (i keep mine a little bright) and comes with a better cable fwiw.

thanks guys!

Dec 19, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #319 of 1,383
Good results here at first pass. Makes it neutral HiFi with good midbass slam. Of course my opinion only and your ear resonances / hrtf may prevent this from sounding good to you.

This is for the green filters , the ones with most damping. Stock medium spiral dot tips. Make sure to set the preamp as well as the 4 peaking filters. Make note of the q values as well as the frequency and gain.

Screenshot_20191219-182919.png

Dec 19, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #320 of 1,383
On another note, does anyone have any cable recommendations that are not too expensive? I really liked the cable at first. Ergonomically I find it quite nice, but its quite microphonic. And the microphonics have a weird quality to them that makes it extra annoying. I tried wearing them over ear, but without any earhooks/guides they just dont stay in place long. And ideally I would like to wear them down, so low microphonics is a must.

I'm interested in this as well...

Dec 19, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #321 of 1,383
Good results here at first pass. Makes it neutral HiFi with good midbass slam. Of course my opinion only and your ear resonances / hrtf may prevent this from sounding good to you.

This is for the green filters , the ones with most damping. Stock medium spiral dot tips. Make sure to set the preamp as well as the 4 peaking filters. Make note of the q values as well as the frequency and gain.

5 minutes ago, I was ready to sell mine without opening the box after reading all those comments about "thin, anemic bass". Now I am not too sure. I bought them but I don't need them as I found my daily driver for 2020 some weeks ago. Don't want to waste ~270 after taxes... Decision decision

Dec 19, 2019 at 8:58 PM Post #322 of 1,383
Cable microphonics sound like wind whistling through a window crack. And this is with slight head movements upon soft clothing fibers while seated. Mildly irritating but persistent. Seems quality cable tho

Dec 19, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #323 of 1,383
ok, for those hardcore EQ gurus, here you go. This is EQ'd for equal loudness for 3rd octaves using 3150 hz as the baseline loudness. This retains the overall tuning of the green filter (most damping), but corrects HF skew. Again, this is for my ear canals, etc, but you may find that it works for you, at least as a starting point.

Not shown in the pic is the preamp setting . make sure thats set to -2.5 to avoid clipping.

Screenshot_20191219-195610.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191219-195610.png
    Screenshot_20191219-195610.png
    225 KB · Views: 0
Dec 19, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #324 of 1,383
5 minutes ago, I was ready to sell mine without opening the box after reading all those comments about "thin, anemic bass". Now I am not too sure. I bought them but I don't need them as I found my daily driver for 2020 some weeks ago. Don't want to waste ~270 after taxes... Decision decision

Well, you could try them and still sell for the same price lol. The drop might shut down soon, or maybe the price will actually go up to $280

Dec 19, 2019 at 11:02 PM Post #325 of 1,383

It sounds like you don't really want them and have something you are satisfied with already. That is great and why not save money if you can- but FWIW I think the comment was comparing it with the CA Atlas which has one of the fullest bass responses this side of Futuresonics. You should find James Severalfours comment here clarifying https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dro...ilable-in-the-us.912737/page-20#post-15369562

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019 at 11:38 PM Post #326 of 1,383
What a silly discussion. Why would a basshead buy an earphone that has been tuned to sound realistic? First, this earphone is far from anemic and secondly it is arguably the best single DD earphone on the market. For bassheads I recommend a Gorsun...which costs $3. Why didn't you read the reviews? I discussed the bass at green length. And some real earphone gurus gave their opinion, too.

I talked to two competent guys who also tested the Campfire Atlas and they were not impressed by those at all.

These JVCs are stellar.

Dec 20, 2019 at 12:38 AM Post #327 of 1,383
So after some tip rolling, I've found that spinfit CP100 mediums help bring out the bass quite a bit. For those of you going without EQ, try this tip out. With its slightly narrower bore, it seems to restrict a bit of the highs relative to the bass. Bass now has nicer punch to it and is more palpable.

Dec 20, 2019 at 1:23 AM Post #328 of 1,383
I listened a few hours last night, blue filters, and Man did they sound full. I wrote robust earlier I think that’s accurate. I find it hard to imagine a DD iem sounding so much fuller that FDX1 would be described as thin. However my experience with DDs is limited to KPE, TFZ 3, B&W.
I should add, with spiral dots and Hiby R5.
Oh and I read thread before I listened, so was inadvertently biased before first listen, eg thin, etc.
Can't wait for mine to arrive! Do you find these a step up from kpe? And how would you compare the soundstage to kpe aswell?

Dec 20, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #329 of 1,383
Can't wait for mine to arrive! Do you find these a step up from kpe? And how would you compare the soundstage to kpe aswell?

I like these a good deal more than KPE. Ear canal fit re KPE was always an issue for me but I believe I remedied with the rubber ring mod, over and behind nozzle (so tips didn’t sit flush with nozzle edge). KPE, comparatively, strikes me as more neutral and restrained, maybe more balanced but not as engaging. I generally prefer TFZ 3 to KPE as they are more lively without being too sharp usually. I rather easily prefer FDX1 to TFZ 3. FDX1 sounds agile and muscular. And I was really digging the spatial presentation last night, sounds presenting from distinctly different directions, surprising me to hear it. So, yeah, I’d say soundstage is superior also. Remember though FDX1 is what twice as much as KPE was.

Dec 20, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #330 of 1,383
What a silly discussion. Why would a basshead buy an earphone that has been tuned to sound realistic? First, this earphone is far from anemic and secondly it is arguably the best single DD earphone on the market. For bassheads I recommend a Gorsun...which costs $3. Why didn't you read the reviews? I discussed the bass at green length. And some real earphone gurus gave their opinion, too.

I talked to two competent guys who also tested the Campfire Atlas and they were not impressed by those at all.

These JVCs are stellar.
Never said I was a basshead but bass needs to be present when called for. I have read all the review before purchasing thanks for asking but the feedback from actual users is different from the reviews that's what made me pause.
I don't have the funds for the atlas nor I am interested in them. I just wish your tone would be friendlier. Happy holidays

Users who are viewing this thread

Back