Driving LCD2 from speaker amp speaker taps correctly
Sep 29, 2013 at 1:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

hpandy

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I have read many posts on this forum and others relating to this practice, and I cannot get my head around the risks and proper setup.

I have read concepts such as: noise, the taps putting out DC instead of AC, running resistors in series, having to use balanced connections for safety etc etc..

I do not have a clear understanding in my head of what is going on.

What dangers exist?
Can they all be prevented?
In what way does a speaker amp perform differently to a HP amp?
Exactly what parts are needed?
Can this all be done for less money than purchasing for example a Schiit Lyr?

I welcome laymans terms and technical explanations from those with an engineering background.  I really would love to get a clear and full understanding of this - my background is mathematics so please don't hold back if you think it may be too difficult to explain.

I currently only have an Arcam alpha 10 integrated amp, so I am assuming that I would need to purchase a less poweful amp?

Thanks for your help.

Mar 30, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #3 of 4
cI still have this idea floating round in my head.  I am looking at the Can Opener, but I am not sure if it is safe.http://vinylflat.com/canopener.html.

I have 3 amps that I want to try this with:

arcam alpha 10
yamaha A2070
yamaha E800

Has anyone experimented with one of these amps?

I am interested in the headphone jack of the arcam, I can't find any information on how it is implemented.  I don't want to spend money on the can opener if it turns out it's exactly the same setup that exists inside the case.

Mar 31, 2014 at 3:36 AM Post #4 of 4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back