Dream Earz aud-5X Custom IEM Review: Pure Value @ $565 - Also the appreciation thread!
Feb 25, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #151 of 597

Quote:

Headphones in general make a bigger difference than sources/amps, plus BAs are generally easier to drive because they are very controlled to start with.  To me, it makes more sense to get the CIEM and see what difference it makes with your current source, and then once you are familiar with the sound from the CIEM, you should be able to better hear the differences when upgrading your source.

Makes sense. Thanks.

Quote:
i have both the fxt90 and fx700 too and theres just something about listening to the fx700 that i cant let go. if i don't listen to it for while, i feel like oh well but when i do, i really enjoy it. kind of like how i feel with the hd650.

in any case, sent my 5x for a refit and got about a week left waiting until its done. 

i was considerign upgrading my clip zip and j3 to a dx100 but i just dont have the monye for that. but in reality, am i really not happy with what i got? i think i am, its just the dx100 seems so awesome. but in any case, i seem to upgrade headphones before throwing down 500+ on a source.

I agree, completely... and if it were not for the isolation issue, I'd be able to ignore the de-emphasized mids and hang on to mine. 90% of my listening is either whilst cycling in cities / towns (too much noise leaked in) or in bed (too much noise leaked out, keeping my wife awake), which was a bigger issue than the mids. Both issues combined, for me = deal-breaker. I anticipate that this is something the aud-5x will remedy.

Great that you have just a week left until your re-fitted aud-5x are in your hand! This is good for me also, as you'll be able to give me an idea of how they sound compared to the FX700s, particularly regarding bass
smile_phones.gif
. And I agree, the DX100 sounds awesome...
frown.gif

Feb 28, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #154 of 597

Quote:
 And a comparison with the 1964-Q would be great!

Any updates on this comparison please ? Right now I am seeking for those reviews and can't push the trigger on any of those two, both look great, but a proper A-B comparison would be the answer...

Feb 29, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #157 of 597
Tick tock, tick tock. The lab must be pretty overwhelmed at the moment, as my impressions have been there a bit over 5 weeks now.

I can deal with long lead times, and lead time would never be a factor in purchasing. But while the first week or so of checking the (e)mail for good news are full of anticipation, coming up disappointed every time starts to become a drag.

Just a heads up for those who've just put orders in to expect it to take a bit longer.

[/edit] Okay, so I should let my morning mail refresh before posting; I just got my shipping number :D

Feb 29, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #158 of 597
I emailed Mitch yesterday and found that he was really busy this month and he just had caught a virus yesterday. He is feeling better now and I guess your custom made will be got to you asap! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 1, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #159 of 597

Quote:
Tick tock, tick tock. The lab must be pretty overwhelmed at the moment, as my impressions have been there a bit over 5 weeks now.

I can deal with long lead times, and lead time would never be a factor in purchasing. But while the first week or so of checking the (e)mail for good news are full of anticipation, coming up disappointed every time starts to become a drag.

Just a heads up for those who've just put orders in to expect it to take a bit longer.

[/edit] Okay, so I should let my morning mail refresh before posting; I just got my shipping number :D

popcorn.gif

Mar 2, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #160 of 597
Had a chat to Mitch about it, and he said that now he's making 4 and 5 driver CIEMs, the construction and tuning is taking a fair bit longer. I guess as the orders pick up for these bad boys, it'll start to push dates out.

Either way, just a forewarning for the guys who are ordering now that their gear may be a bit delayed. My stuff's on the way, so just a couple of days more now... getting antsy!

Mar 5, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #163 of 597
Mar 6, 2012 at 5:22 AM Post #164 of 597
Lots of meetings and people bugging me for the first few hours after they arrived, so I didn't get a chance to put them in straight away!

But I've finally had about an hour with them. Initial impressions were that they had very impressive treble and bass extension, but were a little bit cloudy, especially through the midrange. Bass detail, volume and speed were impressive right off the bat. The bass didn't intrude where it shouldn't at all.. it just simply played louder and deeper than most. The highs immediately showed some of that sizzle that the TripleFis have, that I've gotten used to being without on the Ety HF5s that are my go to these days. So far it's nice and resolving without being sibilant or harsh. Overall, I was impressed, but a bit bummed at the mids and that I wasn't blown away by my first custom (but not my first headphone in this price bracket)

As I've let it play over the hour, I've definitely started to enjoy it more. Did things loosen up a bit, or have I just gotten used to the sound? Did I simply move them around enough to give a better fit? Dunno, as I haven't put the Etys back in to check (I'll do that later. For now I'm just enjoying the new toy). But it's definitely sounding less cloudy, and the sound signature and detail level is more like what I'm used to. Some elements of the upper mids still seem a bit lower in the mix than I'm used to, as there are vocal elements that don't stand out like they usually do and I can still sense something of a dip.. but it's to a much lesser extent and not particularly distracting anymore.

They really handle busy music well, too. When there's a lot going on, it doesn't congest; everything's still clean, sharp and distinct. Probably moreso than any of my other headphones, off initial impression.

I'm definitely a lot less "Do I really think these are worth more than my Etys?" now, and more "These sound really good". More impressions when we've actually had adequate time to bond.

Source and amplification is an iBasso Fer-de-Lance off USB power, which I think is a great little unit (but I haven't compared it to the bigger names in the portables game). I haven't played with gain or battery power for more juice yet... I'll plug into the desktop system when I get home and see if more power is the answer (it almost always is, isn't it?).

Edit: A bit later

Well crud :/. They stick out a bit too far up the top to slip into a motorcycle helmet easily. Will have to see if I can learn to put it on cleanly.

Seriously impressed by these things now that I've forgotten to listen for things and am just enjoying music.

Mar 6, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #165 of 597
Thanks for sharing, it seems like you are growing into them. I can say that many of my custom IEMs have changed over time due to burn in as I can A/B them out of the box and then again later (which it sounds like you can also do) and get a very different result.  I am interested to hear how the Ety's sound now after you get used to the 5X and then go back.  The 5X technically is close to being on par with several $1K custom IEMs, but the one place they fall behind is clarity due to the midrange presentation.

Bummer about the helmet, I hope you figure out a way.  Keep us updated on that and how your listening experiences...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back